Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 05:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only thing that bothers me about this thread is that I can't find OP's character name to make sure to remember this if I'd see him LFG or asking for help with anything.
it's Baler
Old 11-29-2019, 06:00 AM
Sarnak

Back on Live, my stance was basically, "A body is a body!" when it came to accepting people into the group. Granted, everything was not broken down to exact math with all the formulas known as it is today; so it was much more fun having oddball groups of classes that worked together for the common goal. Without sounding sappy, I felt that there was a real person behind that character that wanted to play, so why not let him or her enjoy our company?

Back then, everybody participated in the group - even the casters would cast lower level spells to control the aggro instead of feeling the need to drop their ultimate thermonuclear bomb onto a nearly dead target. And if a player wanted to do something out of the ordinary and the group was able to handle it, then why not go off the beaten path? That is, if a cloth caster decided he or she wanted to take out their dagger to stab at a mob instead of dropping magic and the group was ripping through these mobs fast enough, hey - why not? "Oh noes! Our efficiency!" - so what, we're all here to have fun. It seemed players that complained about this were the worse asinine players around; and perhaps the beginning of the whole ideal group make up crap that eventually passed through the game.

So when it came to penalties - who cares? The memories of a good group finally breaking up with a plea from a player needing one or two more kills to make level and they were a hybrid - keep pulling ...

... sleep was overrated back then too! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-29-2019, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why did they unban you
Old 11-29-2019, 06:56 AM
Fire Giant

I dont get the fuss tbh. I made an Oasis group with 2 SK's (Ogre and Troll) and a human monk and the XP wasnt terrible. Maybe not optimal but deffo not as bad as this thread makes out.

Maybe because we were having fun, i dunno. But the XP was noticable and i saw no reason to exclude anyone.

HIstorically also i dont remember ever excluding hybrids in Kunark. To be devils advocate perhaps because back then i didnt KNOW about hybrid penalties. I cant say for sure back then i wouldnt of cared about it but i would like to think not :|
Old 11-29-2019, 07:02 AM
Sarnak

I don’t understand the people that are OK with needing an extra hour or two per level. Was in a group earlier with two hybrids and it was absolute hell.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:07 AM
Fire Giant

Because the game isn't a big rush for everyone. "To me" its similar to not understanding why a cleric would walk someplace out of the way to rez someone. Or someone porting someone for free. Or selling someone bags for way less than they are worth because they are broke.

I see a hybrid without a group who is perhaps unable to solo and just see it as an opportunity to make a new friend, help someone out or help someone have a laugh.

It doesnt have to be as serious as people make out.

Kunark doesn't come out for a year.

Don't feel that way? Cool. No worries.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppkins_Wytchfinder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because the game isn't a big rush for everyone. "To me" its similar to not understanding why a cleric would walk someplace out of the way to rez someone. Or someone porting someone for free. Or selling someone bags for way less than they are worth because they are broke.

I see a hybrid without a group who is perhaps unable to solo and just see it as an opportunity to make a new friend, help someone out or help someone have a laugh.

It doesnt have to be as serious as people make out.

Kunark doesn't come out for a year.

Don't feel that way? Cool. No worries.
This.

Before Kunark is out, most anyone who worries that much about their exp per hour rate is going to have multiple lvl 50s anyway. Same deal 60 and Velious. Exp grind only takes so long, the grind for equipment and plat goes on forever.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:59 AM
Sarnak

Better yet, the few of us who aren't playing enchanters and other power house classes should all just reroll. XP per hour and loot is greater than all of course.

Why don't you go play WoW or some other game where you can face roll your way to max level in no time at all?
Old 11-29-2019, 09:14 AM
Kobold

Summarizing, whatever penalty there is to a group from having a hybrid (probably is to some small degree at this point) is far exceeded by the penalty of an empty group slot.

And for the OP, I think most people will also agree that 1) player "fun to be around" rating and 2) player skill are force multipliers that in the end also easily exceed anything like the assumed exp penalty of grouping with a hybrid. I.E., skilled cool paladin total value >>> total value of boring average warrior.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you can fix the hybrid penalty by not caring how fast your exp bar fills up
HERETIC!