Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 03:30 AM
Banned

Most people dont play Paladins right that is they hold their LoH's, they dont CC, they dont stun, they dont pacify.

The psych of a Paladin is to be a defensive tank/crowd controlling/snap agro gloryboy who saves lives when it counts. Shadowknights have alot of solo utilities and are pretty OP in that regards (CoS, FD, Summon Corpse, Self DMF, Life taps).

Lay On Hands is gunna save lives, it's going to save groups from wipes. When your chanter gets mega agro as he is chain mezzing 5 mobs and he hits that 20% hp mark. Now's your time to shine and pop yoir healing touch, stun the mobs and help him CC all while holding agro on a mob. Without a paladin doing this the group wipes.

Paladins get Enstill. Use it. Use it to get mobs off people. Use it to get agro use it to crowd control. Whats that you say? 3 mobs inc no problems.

Always have 1-2 stuns up in xp/farm groups. Did you know you can stun a mob....then root it to get it the cleric? Did you know when that mob starts to cast ice comet you can stun it?

Whats that? No puller? No cc? No problem a paladin can step up and pacify that 3 mob pull in addition to ghetto CCing resist breaks/adds.

The amount of paladins I see who just melee and cast a few heals/stuns and think they are doing it right is about 80% of people who play Paladins.

Sit at all times between pulls to get maximum efficiency of your mana bar, your mana is your key to been a good paladin and a great Paladin.

The problem is the psych of mmo's has changed to DPS charts so people forget utility and if you're playing a Paladin for dps ur doing it waaaaaaaaaaaay wrong.

Also 90% rez at 59 gunna make you alot of Pals.

And dont get me started on the new HoT heal....that thing is OP.
Last edited by Farzo; 11-01-2015 at 03:32 AM..
Old 11-01-2015, 03:37 AM
Banned

Having said all that: I'd still stuggest people people play a SK/Warrior over a Paladin simply on the basis that most eq players arent intuitive enough to maximize a Paladins potential and rather automode toons.

It's similar to a necro v chanter (you're gunna be doing more focused work as a chanter for greater results vrs auto playing on a necro and just fding when things go sour).

Warriors in my opinion are the more selfish tank choice out of the three because they require alot more "nurturing" in groups and agro management. Yeah they great dps and great raid tanks but rely heavily on the group make up for them and the group to function as effectively as a hybrid tanked group.
Last edited by Farzo; 11-01-2015 at 03:42 AM..
Old 11-01-2015, 04:46 AM
Planar Protector

I figure Paladin should be the most fun class to roleplay and have started a dwarf for the job. My dps is poor though, Im looking to buy an FBSS or Hangmans Noose, I've 3,5k(can make alittle more but gotta sell sham gear), any takers? Casual player down on inspiration on my ogre, he's just too dumb and chased by da gubberment!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

Farzo gets it.

also, paladins can solo by root jousting. i was soloing dark blue con dar ghoul knights in LGuk at level 48 with minimal gear. never got my paladin past level 50 so IDK how viable soloing is past 50, but soloing was a breeze once i got a beefy 2hander and realized how OP root jousting is.

i haven't tried it since Velious dropped. Tantor's Tusk is the ultimate root jousting weapon for paladins. i probably should get one and try it out.

its too bad no paladin races can use Weighted Axe.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

SK, on the other hand, benefits from more str.. Int/str easy as hell to come by, plus large races can't be paladins. Also, ogre racial. GG

I'm just saying.. SK has its uses, but paladin is still superior.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry Swish, skilled paladins are better group tanks than SKs. Multiple stun spells make for instant aggro, followed up with FoL to secure hate. The stuns allow for spell interrupts, which SK's don't have. A pally can park mobs for CC and breaking mez. Strong healing spells allow the pally to heal not only during downtime but in battle. This can allow the group healers to save mana, and at times, save lives. And of course, LoH. SK's are superior pullers to most, but monks are better in that realm.

As someone mentioned earlier, there are a lot people approaching P99 the way that they would new MMO's, which is with the mindset of end game raiding. What they are overlooking is the fact that the majority of P99 are not doing cutting edge raid content. And no one cares what class you bring to Hate/Fear and other lower tier raids. EverQuest is about building your character and most of your time in this game is spent either in groups or solo (depending on your preference). Frankly, if you're playing EQ simply to raid, then it's the race and the politics you enjoy, not the challenge of content. If you're playing this game for challenging raid content, you're playing the wrong game.
nailed it
Old 11-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

I disagree and if I could play I can prove my SK is better than whoever wants to try and prove a paladin is better. I'd even do a vid tutorial.

Take KC basement as an example... with a typical set up (SK, monk puller, enchanter, cleric, rogue, shaman).

Monk pulls 4 mobs from turnkey and only realizes when they charge down the steps into the camp.

SK:-

disease cloud your target before it gets slowed, hit your assist macro...

(enchanter maybe tries an AE mez, or there's a combo of a single mez, cleric roots one, etc...everyone gets out of melee range)

While on your first target you start building aggro on your 2nd target with shadow vortex, then disease cloud your current target again at 50%ish to maintain your aggro.

Even consider a 'wave of enfeeblement' to get initial aggro and as they're mezzed/rooted pull the current target back so that the rogue or anyone else meleeing is out of range of the other 3.

If root or mez breaks on any of the other 3...shadow vortex it.

Disease cloud your current target again.

If #1 is not yet dead, a second shadow vortex on #2 (in line with it being remezzed or rerooted)

First one dies, engage #2 (its going to be more pissed about 2 shadow vortexes than anything anyone else has done to it).

Rinse/repeat on #2 to #3 and #3 to #4.... if anything gets lose just shadow vortex it and retarget your current mob, keeping out of melee range of the mezzed/rooted mobs.

It's that easy, just requires some light mob management to keep everyone else at full health and at worst... you're still the only target requiring heals.

What does a paladin do in that situation? Can he wave of enfeeblement to get initial aggro on 4 mobs? No.

He'll be either stuck trying to root the extras (not having control of where they're standing), FoL'ing out of melee range and perhaps risking a fear/glitch effect, or individually stunning them for aggro (stun breaks mez doesn't it? shadow vortex doesn't).

You have more control over the dismantling of a big pull as a SK, and at the same time allowing your enchanter/cleric/etc some guaranteed sit time instead of worrying that something is going to break and attack them rather than you.

That SK method works at any camp, from narrow corridors to open areas. If you want to retarget quickly, always be facing the other mobs to keep an eye on them, and cycle NPC target (not classic) to apply non-mez breaking aggro to #2/#3/#4 if they need it. You're the group's second enchanter, in a sense - you control the flow of the fights and if done properly it's very efficient and with a clarity it won't require any downtime at all.

(just my 2cp) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Fire Giant

there is more paladins keyed for sleeper than sks currently in blue
Old 11-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Aviak

He heals the monk on inc.......
Old 11-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree and if I could play I can prove my SK is better than whoever wants to try and prove a paladin is better. I'd even do a vid tutorial.
No thanks, not necessary. Most of us have played eq (live vs p99) to judge the issue without a pointless argument.

Both tanks are fun to play and powerful in their own right. But whether it's raid or group, if I had to choose I'd take a paladin 9 times out of 10. Stuns, patch heals (superior healing), heal over times, rez capabilities, root, lull ... no contest.

SKs are fine, perfectly capable ... they just don't bring as much to the table from a tank/support standpoint.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Closed Thread