Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 09:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhairava [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
THANK YOU FOR UR SERVICE LORAMIN.... WITHOUT U, P99 WOULD BE 1% LESS CLASSIC THAN IT IS (CUSTOM SERVER)
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(Also thanks Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:25 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(Also thanks Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Old 08-03-2021, 08:37 AM
Sarnak

TAKP is more classic.

Get mad
Old 08-03-2021, 02:05 PM
Aviak

Default Final 14?

If you guys are curious why the server populations are lower than normal, it's not due to the "non-classic" mechanics. I would say Final Fantasy 14 is officially making its dent in every online community.

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!
Old 08-03-2021, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clazxiss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you guys are curious why the server populations are lower than normal, it's not due to the "non-classic" mechanics. I would say Final Fantasy 14 is officially making its dent in every online community.
I just read an article the other day about how it was kicking the crap out of WoW (as far as any one can tell: Activision doesn't release exact numbers). Of course WoW has had more than a few self-inflicted wounds also, but WoW players didn't have a good place to "jump ship" until FF14.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

* good enough; obviously there were other competitors before FF14, but they haven't (again, as far as we can tell) had the same impact on WoW subscriptions.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
* good enough; obviously there were other competitors before FF14, but they haven't (again, as far as we can tell) had the same impact on WoW subscriptions.
FF14 has been around awhile--it's not a new game. I think people switching to it has less to do with its mere existence, and more to do with folks being so uninterested in Warcraft's current content that alternatives formerly seen as inadequate now start to look like decent options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graahle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TAKP is more classic.
Maybe. I've no arguments with respect to its build quality. Too bad it replicates an era of EQ that I detest. Glad the folks who like that era finally have a good option for it.

Danth
Old 08-04-2021, 02:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe. I've no arguments with respect to its build quality. Too bad it replicates an era of EQ that I detest. Glad the folks who like that era finally have a good option for it.

Danth
there are aspects of it that are actually more classic than p99. The UI, loading screen, and many other aspects are more classic. But of course right now it has luclin and they threw in PoK and its books for ease of travel. Its still very custom content to me, not in a bad way, just custom.

P99 did what it could to make a "about as classic as it can get" server minus all the problems that come with bloated end game population fighting over very limited resources and a server built off the titanium client. At the time titanium was the easy option as anybody who followed EQclassic.org knows they have spent over a decade trying to rebuild the client off the trilogy discs and get a working server and it still hasn't happened.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there are aspects of it that are actually more classic than p99. The UI, loading screen, and many other aspects are more classic. But of course right now it has luclin and they threw in PoK and its books for ease of travel. Its still very custom content to me, not in a bad way, just custom.

P99 did what it could to make a "about as classic as it can get" server minus all the problems that come with bloated end game population fighting over very limited resources and a server built off the titanium client. At the time titanium was the easy option as anybody who followed EQclassic.org knows they have spent over a decade trying to rebuild the client off the trilogy discs and get a working server and it still hasn't happened.
Secrets will figure it out someday, I have faith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But seriously, the fundamental thing that will always make TakP unclassic is the boxing. If you played on live from '99-'01 you probably didn't know anyone at all who boxed. Maybe you happened to know one rich person who already had two computers sitting side by side, and could afford two phone lines and two EQ accounts ... but the vast vast majority didn't.

The only people really boxing back then were those who played in computer gaming centers, schools, or other places where a bunch of computers with Internet connections were already in the same place ... and even then it wasn't one guy with multiple accounts so much as friends using each other's accounts.

P99 doesn't emulate that perfectly: instead of live's maybe 0.5%-1% of players boxing, we have (ostensibly) 0% ... but it will always be a million times more classic than TakP's "everyone is playing three accounts at once" system.

Old 08-04-2021, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Secrets will figure it out someday, I have faith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But seriously, the fundamental thing that will always make TakP unclassic is the boxing. If you played on live from '99-'01 you probably didn't know anyone at all who boxed. Maybe you happened to know one rich person who already had two computers sitting side by side, and could afford two phone lines and two EQ accounts ... but the vast vast majority didn't.

The only people really boxing back then were those who played in computer gaming centers, schools, or other places where a bunch of computers with Internet connections were already in the same place ... and even then it wasn't one guy with multiple accounts so much as friends using each other's accounts.

P99 doesn't emulate that perfectly: instead of live's maybe 0.5%-1% of players boxing, we have (ostensibly) 0% ... but it will always be a million times more classic than TakP's "everyone is playing three accounts at once" system.
Somewhat disagree, I knew a number of people on Saryrn that two boxed in that era, but mostly they were tank mains who had a pocket cleric or general melee mains with pocket druid. It wasn't super widespread but it wasn't as rare as you describe.

I do agree that it was nothing like TAKP where the vast majority seems to triple box just because they can.
Closed Thread