Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 07:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AM was a zerg towards the end of 2018 into 2019, basically what happened was after sirken removed Racing with lockouts, Rustle pretty much instantly died, who was a guild who would basically 30-40 man every mob. A LOT OF people joined AM from Rustle.

AW died
Miss the pre-root days. The most fun I had my entire time in the raid scene on blue was when the one time a middle of the night batphone happened to wake me up by pure luck at like 5 am 2 hours before I went to work and we won fte against AM on Eashan, pulled him to the zone and killed him with like 22 people. Its the only reason I ever got a decent piece of raid loot on my rogue since I was like 1 of 3 rogues there and he dropped 2x claw of lightning I managed to get one of them for dirt fucking cheap. The next one to drop went for like 2x-3x the amount of DKP I payed.

Also AW didn't just die it was mercilessly massacred by the GMs by what was it... a 6 month raid ban or something fucking stupid? That's what made me quit blue and I didn't come back until green launched. So I agree with you man I think rooting the dragons is a big part of why the raid scene is so fucked up. I get the constant trains and petitions were probably a big problem for the GMs but now its just a meta that rewards zerg fest, less guilds to compete and its turned out on green just like blue did once they were rooted. One giant dominant guild flexing their victories over a bunch of smaller guilds that just cannot compete with their numbers.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Fire Giant

I think rooted mobs might be the first step of selling out to the masses, with Shadows of Luclin. It will gain you a mass population for a few of years, then the game will die because no one will be able to deny its bad.

(I still want to play Shadows of Luclin though. I dunno why. "Why you gotta make things so complicated" - Avril Lavigne.)
Old 08-09-2021, 08:49 PM
Aviak

Rooted dragons pretty much guaranteed a downward trend here. Day 1 of rooted dragons, guilds were already breaking up. Day 1. That was the first sign. Riot was formed that week if I'm not mistaken or not long after. I mean, it was the smart play. Gotta be the first to take advantage of a broken rule set if you have the ability to do so.

Nobody wants to see dragons get pulled to the zone in, I get it, but the reality is, it's classic and it honestly just promotes the best out of Everquest. It allows any 30 man group to be relevant if they put in the work. Many of us were in raid guilds on live, and understand how the game works and building a guild to be good enough to compete. You can't do that when raids need 20 or 30 people for 90% of the content, then suddenly need 100. It makes zero sense. Guilds lose members once that wall is hit, and the cycle never stops.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:10 PM
Aviak

What gets me is that pull-to-entrance was the most accessible ToV has ever been. For all kinds of guilds and players. There's a serious misconception that you need a zerg or had to be crazy hardcore to compete, but that was absolutely not true.

Small guilds like Rustle & Core were very successful. Towards the end, AG started to drop the "casual" image and showed up to compete with some great success. I am absolutely confident any "casual" guild could have put in less effort in ToV than they did on targets like VS, fear golems, etc. and walk away with kills.

Spawn windows were tight in these days. This made raiding very manageable for people with lives outside of EQ. Also because of this, just by showing up for a few hours each cycle, there was a solid chance you could bag a dragon just because other guilds would be locked in to another target, since many windows would overlap.

Hardcore players got to be hardcore. Spend time on the line, coth mages, whatever role--there was plenty to do for these players. But also casual players got to be casual. Logging in for 10 minutes to stab a dragon is laughed at a lot, but warmbody auto-attackers make raiding incredibly accessible to casual players who can't commit to multiple-hour clears.

It was literally a win/win for everybody. I know petitions got intense and too frequent, but has it gotten any better?

Nowadays it's a numbers game. You will always have a single dominant guild rather than real competition because it's about getting sheer numbers. Success yields growth, and so it takes a long time to curb the momentum of a successful guild.

I haven't played in a while but apparently there are bag limits and/or rotations on the server now. In the time it takes to kill a single charity dragon, any guild could have had put a system in place (placed coth mages, setup a test server, practiced pulls, etc.) to compete every week and result in way more pixels. Oh well, I do genuinely hope people are having fun.

Since I assume we're never going back to rooted dragons, my opinion is that the server needs a brand new ruleset that's designed for the current meta rather than rehashed rules that were created for a completely different era. But that's another discussion.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:18 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant49333 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bag limits

GM enforced roll for ringwar

Rooted Dragons in TOV

GM enforced fear golem welfare race

"The draft" welfare week

p99 has reached the lowest point ever since launch, and it is sad. The one last bastion of competition in everquest is crawling to a stop. If you wanted noncompetitive content, go to the TLPs and have the entire raid zone to yourself.

New world is coming out next month - nail in the coffin?
Lawl new world....

Why not Pantheon while you're at it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-09-2021, 09:45 PM
Planar Protector

All of you are a fucking joke. Boo fucking hoo, so you can't show up spazz your way into instant loot. They made it so you actually have to play the game. None of you clowns even want to play EQ. You just want to play dress up in EC tunnel. Buy some dolls and play with those instead you sissies.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All of you are a fucking joke. Boo fucking hoo, so you can't show up spazz your way into instant loot. They made it so you actually have to play the game. None of you clowns even want to play EQ. You just want to play dress up in EC tunnel. Buy some dolls and play with those instead you sissies.
sorry you dont got warder loot
Old 08-09-2021, 10:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant49333 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I figured a riot member would ask this, let me explain:

When a dragon spawns, whoever gets FTE (first to engage) on it, their raid to gets to kill it. I know you guys are used to uncontested bag limit loot so this might be a foreign concept.
Hey you stupid retard - FTE actually stands for First Time Enmity not First to Engage. IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 08-09-2021, 10:56 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this is the most relevant comment of the thread. Lots of people wearing rose tinted glasses regarding ToV without unrooted dragons. I'll state that the farthest I've ever gone into ToV was killing trashing in the East wing I think it is? My experience in ToV is nada compared to some of the mighty stay at home sons in this threads.

With that said, what I do remember are the copious amounts of angry threads regarding trains, kill steals, and raid bans. For every infraction, there were dozens of petitions, from representatives guilds, hoping to zerg first to a GM response. It was some of the most hilarious reading I've set my eyes on when it comes to complaining about online games. While it was funny, it lead to the changes so many people in this thread complain about.

Put yourselves in the shoes of the volunteer staff and imagine starting your shift with manifestos about who did what with dragon X. Do that possibly 3 times a week, for 1 to 4 years. When you make you come to a conclusion about how to resolve the conflict, you still get a slew of people who spit and berate you. Unlike the referee on tv, you're not getting paid for this BS. Not only that, your bans can be circumvented with a VPN and the creation of multiple accounts. Sad example of this being someone that GM Braknar had crossed. For anyone who used the P99 discord, you probably saw someone spamming nasty things about Braknar and his family. It wasn't for a little while either. Whoever that particular mental case was, he went above and beyond to keep making accounts for a time to continue the spam. It was unnerving.

P99 has been called a museum multiple times. While you're allowed to ignore the donation box as you enter to enjoy the museum, it doesn't give you permission to crap it up. The greatest sin ever committed in the game of Everquest is the sin of "Ruining your own Lands." In this case, the players ruined their own lands and the GMs said, "You shall not ruin mine!"

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!
Old 08-09-2021, 11:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Boxing = Perma Ban

Gaslighting?
Closed Thread