Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 03-14-2022, 03:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoojitsu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's so good about this clicky? Saving some mana? A spell slot? Is there a special tactic you can use with this?

Thanks
mostly for mana purposes. you could argue it might save you slot in some instances when fear kiting enemies, but you usually have plenty of room on the spell bar for those instances and you will probably want another fear to cast if the staff gets resisted anyway, hence you didn't really save a slot.

as for your other question about charisma, it should have a very small effect on screaming terror resist, a modest affect on the memblur component, but it should have quite a significant effect on lull crit resist rates.

despite lull stil being heavily influenced by charisma. necro is an exception to my own rule of how imprtant charisma is for lull classes. the reason being that necros can FD when they get a crit fail, while other classes will have to find some way to deal with the impending train. So cha is nice specicially when lulling but not really a must have for them. certainly the extra cha you get from human isnt worth losing regen from iksar, asssuming you plan to stick to the class for the long haul.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:29 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Staff of Dreaded Gaze is kinda for optics only, because the effect is useless. It looks cooler than the epic though. Other than that just get as much hp/sta gear as you can get. The only really useful items are j-boots and the pre-nerf Circlet of Shadow.

The idea to kill stuff outdoors is to dot it up and run away. Your pet keeps doing damage while the mobs are chasing you. That way you can kill every NPC that doesn't summon.
Not sure if you are being serious or not or if I misunderstood you. A mob chasing you will mitigate 33% of your dot damage. Whereas if it's feared the dots will deal 100% damage. Also, you can sit and med while the mob is feared instead of having to run around.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

Staff of the Dreaded Gaze sucks at higher level - the cast is way too long and it breaks way too often. J boots and CoS are honestly the 2 best items you can get. Get yourself a Z heart if you are a big dick raider, it makes a difference but isn't really buyable unless you just have hundreds of thousands of spare PP.

Necromancers are some of the best group healers in the game once you get your life transfer spells, dont be that idiot who thinks your only job is DPS. Root/Heal/Pet/Twitch and life tap to keep the party rolling. A good necromancer is the best partner in the game for any class
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 03-16-2022, 02:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Staff of the Dreaded Gaze sucks at higher level - the cast is way too long and it breaks way too often. J boots and CoS are honestly the 2 best items you can get. Get yourself a Z heart if you are a big dick raider, it makes a difference but isn't really buyable unless you just have hundreds of thousands of spare PP.
Hmm not sure about that. High level is actually where it increses your necros solo ceiling. CoS for instance never raises your solo ceiling, merely makes life easier for breaking charm. jboots can easilly be replced by some SoW potions. Necros usually stay at one location for extened periods of time either leveling or farming, so they dont need to move around much nor do they need jboots to effectively kite. And just like CoS it also does not raise your ceiling for soloing.if you do plan on living outdoors and fear kiting the entire way than jboot might be worth picking up, but that would mean CoS virtually useless to you and the staff even more valuable yet.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:28 AM
Planar Protector

Cos also appears good for standing from FD (I wouldn’t know - I don’t have one).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-16-2022, 12:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by forks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey

Looking to start a first time Necro and a first time Iksar, never levelled in Kunark. Have a 60 SK and Shaman and a few 50s melees. Haven't played a caster since 2002.

How do I gear a necro, any quality of life stuff? Probably looking to spend 10k or so but have more if something is game changing. Also have a FBSS, 55/5s, an SMR, and a few pieces of loam laying around.

Any tips on playing a necro? Plan to follow the iksar leveling path. How many dots do I stack on a mob?

thanks in advance.
You can gear a necro for ~10k and have decent enough gear til 60. Prioritize Hp>Mana(if low level)/Int(until 200)>Stam(stam scales very poorly for necro)

Words of Darkness is a great clickie for GCD reset and also a free low level lich. JBoots and CoS are both nice QoL but honestly not very important. I would just snag a Goblin ring for charming until 55+ and flush with plat. Snag a mage focus item for reclaiming pet.

Necro leveling is a blast, you can solo all the fun stuff like giants, specters, etc. easier than pretty much anybody. Even doing a guard/bard diet from 20->60 is fun as you'll make a ton of plat in the process.

Enjoy the ride, Necro can be a ton of fun with their huge toolbox. If you have time group, Necro brings all the tools to the group if you aren't lazy. Lots and lots to do with weird duo/trios in particular.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:36 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can gear a necro for ~10k and have decent enough gear til 60. Prioritize Hp>Mana(if low level)/Int(until 200)>Stam(stam scales very poorly for necro)
So I'm in the thread because I'm thinking about doing what the OP is doing but I've just come off a 5 year break from EQ in all forms (longest one yet since 99) and fuzzy about a lot and waking this here because it comes up...

Did the stats cap not go up sometime during Kunark and Velious or was it 200 the entire time? Seem to remember it going to 255 at some point in there or maybe that was just the hard cap and a soft cap remained at 200 until AA? Something like that.

It's brutal trying to remember stuff you never forgot before for 2 decades.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:49 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did the stats cap not go up sometime during Kunark and Velious or was it 200 the entire time? Seem to remember it going to 255 at some point in there or maybe that was just the hard cap and a soft cap remained at 200 until AA? Something like that.
200 int/wis softcap went away when Luclin was released: www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20011204.html then stat AAs increased the hardcap up to 305(iirc).

Not entirely sure what the int/wis::mana >200 is on p99, just that equipping mana over int/wis above 200 is a better return if you trust the UI, which honestly you often shouldn't.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:22 AM
Fire Giant

Excellent, thank you. I knew I was in the ballpark.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:49 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sadly no. CHA has no effect on the Charm/lull spell lines for Necromancers and Shadowknights.
Are u sure? Wiki says it does

For lull that is not charm