Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 06-23-2022, 02:45 AM
Banned

Maybe it's cuz I grew up in UT as a kid. Cold doesn't super scare me.

Maybe it should.

Quote:
The biggest one is do not overdress because sweat kills. Of course you are not going to die of hypothermia being overdressed and sweating waiting for the bus in Toronto. But in a remote setting, this is important.

The Inuit caribou parka is an amazing bit of technology even though it is low tech. Caribou hairs on the inside of the parka and the hide to the outside. Caribou hairs are hollow and your body heats the air up and it is retained. A good hood with a full ruff that makes rime frost instead of structural ice.

More modern Inuit parkas were typically anorak (pullover style) because you eliminate the cold spot of the zipper. They are two layer construction. Wool duffel inner (felted wool) with a cotton or poly outer. The poly outer is windproof and sheds enough snow because it is not wet snow. Goretex and other waterproof breathables are useless at subzero temps because they lose the ability to push moisture to the outer layer.

This was something I learned early on when I first went to the Arctic. In fact, throughout my time there I would always get comments like aren't you cold wearing that?

Of course I never wore huge, heavy Canada Goose Parkas or expedition boots. Unless out on the land. Never wore a Canada Goose ever.

For years I wore a 200 weight fleece and a synthetic insulated parka and changed my closest to skin layers for the temp. Never wore windpants or insulated pants except while out on the land. And I walked everywhere.

You think it should be easy putting on enough clothes to be warm, right?

But there is a difference when you are standing still and moving.

You really want to be just on the edge of feeling a chill was what elders told me.
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-...y-cold-weather
Old 06-23-2022, 02:56 AM
Banned

So tldr essentially everything modern we do to stay warm will kill u in cold weather.

Also fish caught in cold water keep u warmer because of the type of fat. And adding fat to that to reach like 8000 calories. Genetics play a role too.

I was the person who just didn't feel the cold in my platoon. The heat used to wreck me tho.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:28 PM
Kobold

Ya sweating will kill you. Also the water kills quite a few folk. I’m only 38 but I’ve lost more friends to the water than my fingers can count.

Alaska is amazing, lived in the south east, south central and interior area. Fairbanks at -50 is really fuckin cold. -20 not bad tho, 0 in winter is shorts and a T-shirt weather.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:27 PM
Banned

It's 111f here r now
Old 06-23-2022, 05:27 PM
Banned

Fuck I maybe should buy a homestead in alaska
Old 08-16-2022, 08:56 AM
Large Bat

Alaska is terribly boring. TERRIBLY BORING! We live in one of the largest cities in the state, but this, of course, still cannot be compared to the same New York. The "new places" ended on the second day when I arrived here in 2008. And I've been here for 14 years. I exaggerate, of course, but I probably, however, am not adapted for such places. It was very difficult for me to adapt to the cold. I remember how long I got used to the cold, my tall radiator always worked at full capacity, if you are experiencing difficulties with the cold now, then look at this site for a tall radiator. I feel like another year at most and I will leave here. I'm 24 years old, I want something new all the time!
Old 08-16-2022, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

How bad is the grizzlybear lime and rock joint disease?
Old 08-16-2022, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Could you homestead in Alaska if you're a vegetarian? I'm thinking probably not? I'd have to start eating fish again I think to make it work...and ugggh that sounds gross and terrible! But I cannot imagine you'd be able to grow much of a garden there but maybe with a greenhouse it's not so bad?

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 08-16-2022, 04:15 PM
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2222D498-F4E6-4586-AD56-BDE51990B16A.jpg (20.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-16-2022, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Alaska is too damned cold and too damned rural.

Not that I'm a city guy but I draw the line at cold wilderness.