[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-31-2020, 06:09 PM
Banned

replicators are Fucking Magic therefore it is a wizard show

I mean, vulcan ears...
Old 02-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by galach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have really been enjoying this series. Glad that Star Trek has gone back to it's roots. Discovery is a fun show as well, but it doesn't feel like star trek to me. I always loved the prime timeline and glad we are going forward for the first time in a long time.

Season 2 has already been ordered, but I am wondering how long the series could possibly go with Patrick Stewart getting up there age wise.
Just to correct one point: This isn't the Prime universe. Picard is under the same license as the JJ Abrams movies. That's why you won't see certain things from TNG (because they would have to pay for them) and the things you do see will generally be 25% different (because that's a requirement per the license).

The show overall is kind of aggravating. On one hand, Patrick Stewart is always fantastic so that's enjoyable. On the other, Kurtzman Trek is absurdly bad writing and this series is no different so far. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it...but the show is better if you A) Have little knowledge of other Star Trek titles and B) can turn your brain off and not ask why or how, because otherwise you'll see little logic holes in almost every scene.

Oh and the rumor is Picard dies in the first season, because the show can't afford him, but the remaining crew will name their ship The Picard. Hence the title of the show, and it fits the naming conventions of a lot of other entries in the series (Voyager, Discovery, Deep Space Nine, Enterprise). So brace for that if you were only watching because of Sir Patrick.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

Could've used a little somethin, somthin.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Banned

Old 02-02-2020, 02:25 PM
Sarnak

Expanse season 5 wrapping its shooting right about now.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:59 AM
Planar Protector

Im rewatching the next generation on Netflicks right now, very excited to start Picard when im done. Never watched the new Star Trek series Discovery or whatever its called but I may give it a whirl
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 02-03-2020, 11:09 AM
Fire Giant

So I'm going to out myself as a big nerd here, if playing EQ didn't already do that, but I was pretty disappointed from having just seen the pilot. I was hoping for another TOS / TNG style explore the galaxy type show, but it seems like this one is going to have a more linear plot. Old Picard and a rag tag group of misfits taking on the evil Romulans just doesn't seem like Trek.

I loved the largely stand alone episodes of past trek series. Sure there were some weak ones, but if you didn't like the episodes one week, next week was usually something completely different. Trek differentiates itself from a lot of other sci-fi because while space politics and conflicts played a role, exploration and discovery was always the over arching theme, and I suspect that will be lacking in this series. I suppose there is some potential with the whole AI stuff, but it just seems like they've set it up to be really limited with a narrow and linear storyline.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I'm going to out myself as a big nerd here, if playing EQ didn't already do that, but I was pretty disappointed from having just seen the pilot. I was hoping for another TOS / TNG style explore the galaxy type show, but it seems like this one is going to have a more linear plot. Old Picard and a rag tag group of misfits taking on the evil Romulans just doesn't seem like Trek.

I loved the largely stand alone episodes of past trek series. Sure there were some weak ones, but if you didn't like the episodes one week, next week was usually something completely different. Trek differentiates itself from a lot of other sci-fi because while space politics and conflicts played a role, exploration and discovery was always the over arching theme, and I suspect that will be lacking in this series. I suppose there is some potential with the whole AI stuff, but it just seems like they've set it up to be really limited with a narrow and linear storyline.
I am not sure what the parallels are between the world of the 80s and 90s with TNG and how that translates into "Picard" in the 2020s

What were the Klingons a response to?

Kirk and Riker getting space pussy was a response to what?

Quote:
Patrick Stewart: ‘Star Trek: Picard’ A Response To The ‘F***ed’ World Of Brexit, Trump

Sir Patrick Stewart has become so incensed by Brexit and President Trump that he is willing to taint a beloved franchise with his modern political sensibilities.

Speaking with Variety, the acclaimed actor along with the show’s producers said that the much-anticipated “Star Trek: Picard” series on CBS All Access – a quasi-reboot of “The Next Generation” – will be a response to the Trumpian world of Brexit and nationalist populism.

“In a way, the world of ‘Next Generation’ had been too perfect and too protected,” said Stewart. “It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun.”

However, for “Picard,” Steward wanted a show that reflected today’s world by centering the drama around how the Federation – the union of planets – takes “an isolationist turn.”

“[The show] was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought,” Stewart said.

Stewart went to lament how both the United States and Britain are “f***ed” under President Trump and Boris Johnson. “I’m not sure which one of us is in the most trouble,” said Stewart. “I think it’s actually the U.K. I think we’re f***ed, completely f***ed.”
It's like a fanfic side show. The age of Reddit.

Hard Pass.
Last edited by Mblake81; 02-03-2020 at 11:41 AM..
Old 02-03-2020, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stewart went to lament how both the United States and Britain are “f***ed” under President Trump and Boris Johnson. “I’m not sure which one of us is in the most trouble,” said Stewart. “I think it’s actually the U.K. I think we’re f***ed, completely f***ed.”
The show has been pretty mediocre so far (episode two is a slog), but Stewart isn't wrong just because he's offended your delicate sensibilities.
Closed Thread