Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And as a troll, that penalty goes from 40% to 60%.
It's multiplicative, so total penalty for troll sk is 68%. Crazy right?

Still... love grouping with an sk.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekova [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's multiplicative, so total penalty for troll sk is 68%. Crazy right?

Still... love grouping with an sk.
That's brutal. You could almost level a couple halflings to 50 for the same amount of XP it would take you to get a single troll SK to 50.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:47 PM
Sarnak

Tanks are in short supply so I don't see you having a problem getting a group. As long as YOU are ok with the XP penalty then you should be able to find groups easy enough. I will gladly group with an SK or Paladin.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 11-08-2019, 12:18 AM
Sarnak

tough question. Personally, it would depend most on what content we were doing, how dense the mob count is, and I guess my level in relation to that content. ZEM too. Would I group with a hybrid at a static 6 min spawn in a low zem zone? No. Would I think much about it while in a group that’s chain pulling in unrest? Probably not.

I generally do not seek out hybrids, but if I’m desperate for a group, and happen to land in a group that has a hybrid, it’s whatever. However if I get there and there happens to be more than one, then I’m quietly LFG elsewhere. I’d take a good hard in a duo though, and most dungeon crawls or chain pulling groups
Old 11-08-2019, 12:20 AM
Sarnak

Personally if there is 1 hybrid and it's a tank I don't mind. If there is more then 1 I will look for another group.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 AM
Aviak

Some groups won’t want a hybrid. Those groups are usually trash anyway. They hang out near zone lines in case a caster has to zone after overagroing. Slow lands at 50% mob health, etc. Then there’s the enchanter charm pet heavy groups that actually want a tank to hold aggro and those groups like SKs, pals or even rangers. XP in the latter groups is usually much better.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:52 AM
Fire Giant

Enchanters definitely do not want a tank or a full group except in rare cases with backstabbing mobs in high ZEM zones, i.e. Osargen.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:57 AM
Sarnak

I played a ranger to 20 when green launched and nobody ever so much as mentioned the hybrid penalty, but then it's only 40% for rangers whereas troll SKs have like 68% or something. The general shortage of tanks means people will usually just accept the penalty. It's not that bad as long as the hybrid isn't also several levels above the rest of the group. If everyone's the same level, one hybrid won't make a noticeable difference. Spread across a 6-man group, it's like 8.5% for a rng/pal/brd and 11% for a troll SK, and people are full of shit if they think 10% less XP matters. But if there's two hybrids or one that's 3-4 levels higher than you, it gets kinda bad.

Right now, warriors are absolute garbage so groups should actively look for hybrid tanks. Warriors without proccing weapons are just utterly useless. People like to say "herp derp just keep every mob rooted 100% of the time" as if root doesn't break every five seconds and cost serious mana at lower levels. It's just something people say to feel better about a broken, dysfunctional class. It's nearly impossible to keep a mob rooted for any length of time when a whole group is DPSing it. The sad reality is that hybrids are the only worthwhile tanks at this point in time. A warrior without (at the very least) 2x Obsidian Shard is just not a tank.
Last edited by Noselacri; 11-08-2019 at 06:12 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 08:11 AM
Sarnak

People want real tanks. Every warrior in my groups so far has meant the mobs attack everyone except the warrior.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noselacri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People like to say "herp derp just keep every mob rooted 100% of the time" as if root doesn't break every five seconds and cost serious mana at lower levels.
Pretty much. It's almost like they don't have root on their spell bar. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Root is to me a crowd-control measure rather than a aggro management spell. It's better than mez if you have people who are target-happy or dot-happy.

The funny thing is...some of this stuff isn't classic, but we might be limited by technical limitations here.

I do remember that there was a series of changes to nerf root where DD's broke root more and melee gained a chance to break root. People really feared ghouls back in the day. Ghoulroot was nasty. Root was also really nasty in PvP. Really nasty. If you were a melee and you got rooted...you started bagging your armor.

Divine Aura, now that's aggro management for a cleric. Before guilds figured out how to abuse it against AoW in Velious, mobs would happily beat on a DA'd cleric if they were on top of the hate list. Who needs a CH chain when all of your clerics can just tank for 36 seconds each? And the mob's rooted, so when the timer gets close you just back up. DA dropping you down the hate list is not classic, until Velious.

(SHD's also shouldn't have lifetaps this early in the game, either. Those were given to them as a result of balance changes.)