Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 02-20-2022, 04:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolguy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is confusing me too, I don't know what it means. And I don't know why I even have Charisma or how it works now even. I wish they made it more clear, it's weird that on a fan server, how it works is a mystery and not open source. Not complaining, just pointing out the confusing part.
Quote:
Relive the Classic Everquest Experience as it was from 1999 to 2001.*Project 1999*is a free to play Classic Everquest Server, unaffiliated with Daybreak Game Company but*operating under legal permission. Our goal is to restore the magic and difficulty of the original Everquest game, including the mechanics, interface, and challenges of Original Content, Kunark, and Velious.*Project 1999*is the most popular and most accurate reincarnation of Old School Everquest.
That's what it says on home page of p1999, eqemu may be an opensource impementation of the original server software.

Rogean and such have spent signifgant time scraping and playing live, then tweaking the open source eqemu software (and other stuff i dont know about) to bring us what we have.
I loved/hated live , as we all did cuz "OMG why did that happen and what can i do to make it NOT happen next time..." not by asking someone or looking it up but just trying shit out.
You remind me of a rulebook reading AD&D player, to counter, an AD&D dm makes an Orc random encounter, look like an Orc but has double hitpoints and regens like a half Orc/Troll. Simple change (for dnd) but large impact.
Players like you sceam "Not in the rulebook..." Gold.

FYI the underlined part of the quote above is (what I believe is) the whole idea of this server.
By the sound of it, Your Mileage Does Vary.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:05 AM
Kobold

I may have misunderstood the implications of this change, but I highly doubt they would implement something that would make an already OP class even more OP. To quote Nilbog who said:

"Will always choose to err on the side of underpowered rather than overpowered. Safest way to proceed until things are perfect, or near perfect."

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...6&postcount=37
Last edited by long.liam; 02-27-2022 at 03:09 AM..
Old 02-27-2022, 03:15 AM
Planar Protector

While charm is obviously broken, from the duration to auto-quad to aggro to stopping summons - the real crux is the Channeling bug. On live, broken charms were dangerous because you needed help to recharm. You couldn't just cast with a mob beating you in the face. That along with the low duration making it a mana sink made it not very useful on live. It did have it uses - Dictate in SG and a few others. But there's a reason why Dire Charm was such a big deal on Live - it finally made Enchanters able to keep a pet.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:59 AM
Kobold

The server is a house of cards at this point. I enjoy the game as is and don't want to see any further nerfs or drastic changes to core mechanics. It's a handful of sadists that are calling for these changes. The only thing stopping someone from creating a similar project is motivation.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:15 AM
Planar Protector

I don't know, if we're going that route, I say revert the Monk Sneak "nerf" (fix) and push interrupt and Baton of Flame and so on.

Either go classic or not. Charm and Channeling alone prevent this game from being "classic." Just like FD Memblur did. Or Ivandyr's Hoop spam back in the day. Along the same lines, what did rooting NToV and removing FTE races accomplish?

Do we want classic, do we want fun, or do we want the wild west?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:45 AM
Kobold

I don't know how popular the server would be today if it was 100% classic from the beginning. It started off with lots of nice features like spell descriptions, spell timers and DoT damage messages. These things were slowly removed but I think they helped get people invested in the server while they were implemented. I'm still having fun for now.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:57 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, we'll never know. We had so many things in beta/vanilla, all the things you listed plus maps, sneak pulling, Whirl Til U Hurl being perma-stun, no hybrid penalties, fire pet spam, Ivandyr's Hoop spam, cheap recharges, sneak pulling, etc. In Kunark, we had 55+ mobs able to be stunned, easy pushback interrupts, no NPC gating, and a zillion other things.

Blue was always 'beta' though. Green was the culmination. And it's pretty popular. Sadly, it still has these glaring bugs.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whirl Til U Hurl being perma-stun
Forget about charm. Those were the days lol
Old 02-28-2022, 09:30 PM
Kobold

I love how it took 10 years for people on this server to "remember" how P99 charming was like classic charming.

No ulterior motives here folks
Old 03-11-2022, 02:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

On live server back in the day charisma had zero impact on charm. It was "broken" since day 1 and didn't get fixed until 2004 when I stopped playing.