Kobold

Default Why arent Wizards WIS casters?

explain
Old 02-03-2022, 05:47 PM
Fire Giant

Ask Gary Gygax.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:00 PM
Planar Protector

Everquest is heavily influenced by Dungeons and Dragons.

In Dungeons and Dragons 2.0 (the edition that was around during Everquest's initial development), Wizards are an Intelligence based class.

Quoting from the DnD 2.0 Wiki:

"No matter what school of magic the wizard is involved in, Intelligence is his prime requisite (or one of several prime requisites). Characters must have an Intelligence score of at least 9 to qualify to be a wizard."

In Dungeons and Dragons 2.0, you didn't actually have a separate Necromancer, Enchanter, or Magician class. You were always a Wizard, but specialized in different schools of magic.

A Wizard in Everquest is a Wizard in DnD who specializes in Invocation.
A Magician in Everquest is a Wizard in DnD who specializes in Conjuration.
An Enchanter in Everquest is a Wizard in DnD who specializes in Enchantment/Charm/Illision.
A Necromancer in Everquest is a Wizard in DnD who specializes in Necromancy.

In DnD, just because you specialized in a specific school of magic, that didn't mean you couldn't use other useful spells from different schools. That is why all four classes share the Lesser Shielding line of spells, Invisibility, etc.

Since all of these classes are basically a Wizard in DnD at heart, they all share the idea that Intelligence is their primary statistic. Everquest got rid of the more complex DnD system, where you had a generic class that could specialize in different schools of magic, in favor of simply creating different Wizards that are focused on specific schools of magic. It was probably easier to balance that way, while also trying to not be a total DnD ripoff lol.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 02-03-2022 at 06:05 PM..
Old 02-03-2022, 09:22 PM
Planar Protector

Wow.

Roll a 1d20 and if you get higher than a 15 you must join my online D&D group [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-03-2022, 09:31 PM
Planar Protector

Deathsilkymist prob sum it up but I like the idea that wisdom is medicine, because it's wise to mend bridges instead of destroying them.

While intelligence is offensive magic because an intelligent man knows everyone is out to get him so you have to blow up the bridges.

In real life intelligence drives you to alcoholism and drugs to soothe the dull the ache of life.

While wise people know that its best to get out and exorcise to deal with all that.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:53 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Interesting question, read something way back were Gary Gygax explained his take on the difference between wisdom and intelligence. IIRC, he said "The author (himself) is intelligent enough to know smoking is bad for you, but not wise enough to stop"

Priests magic is bestowed by gods/spirits so you need wisdom or discipline to adhere to their order?

Mages discover their art, akin to science based magic you have to be smart enough to grok/understand the fabric of creation?

I dunno my early morning take on the subject.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting question, read something way back were Gary Gygax explained his take on the difference between wisdom and intelligence. IIRC, he said "The author (himself) is intelligent enough to know smoking is bad for you, but not wise enough to stop"

Priests magic is bestowed by gods/spirits so you need wisdom or discipline to adhere to their order?

Mages discover their art, akin to science based magic you have to be smart enough to grok/understand the fabric of creation?

I dunno my early morning take on the subject.
Yes, this is my understanding of Intelligence vs. Wisdom as well from the DnD perspective. You can be a brilliant scientist (high intelligence), but you may not have have much in the way of common sense (wisdom). The quote you gave is a pretty good analogy.

Wizards in the older editions of DnD had to basically research all of their spells before being able to cast them. This is probably where the research skill in Everquest comes from. That was the difference between a Wizard and a Sorcerer. The downside to Wizards was they had to research all of their spells, but they got access to the best spells in the game. Sorcerers have existing talent in magic already, so they can simply learn much of their magic by experience. However, they are not diligent in their studies like a Wizard, so they are unable to learn some of the best spells out there.

With priest classes, you are also correct that in DnD their powers are generally bestowed upon them by their gods, so intelligence isn't really the measure of how powerful you can get. You need the wisdom to glean insight into what your god wants, which will grant you further favor and power.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Planar Protector

because its made up fantasy and the creators were doing blow off boobs and butts
Old 02-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Sarnak

Because snakes don't have armpits.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Snakes don't have legs, but they used to kick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread