Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Aviak

Default Dispel Counter Mechanics

Hi everyone, I have a question as to how dispel works on this server. I already read this thread which had an explanation from one of the developers that was very helpful: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=172383

I just have a couple more questions. If a spell like Cancel Magic does not completely dispel a spell, and only removes a counter, like Haynar describes, does the duration or magnitude of the spell decrease at all, or anything like that? Or are the counters simply an all or nothing deal for the effect to stay on?

Also, is there a place we can look up the strength of a spell, to know if cancel magic will be sufficient or if we need a higher level one, rather than manually testing it out ourselves?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

I'm not sure about Cancel Magic, but I'm pretty sure that if you use Cure Disease/Poison and it doesn't fully remove a DoT, it reduces that DoT's duration proportionally.

Or at least that's how I remember them working ... to be honest I very rarely use either spell anymore.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-17-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Fire Giant

is it me or i never get dispelled by mobs anymore since that change?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure about Cancel Magic, but I'm pretty sure that if you use Cure Disease/Poison and it doesn't fully remove a DoT, it reduces that DoT's duration proportionally.

Or at least that's how I remember them working ... to be honest I very rarely use either spell anymore.
Cure will remove it instantly if you remove enough counters and give you a "Your target has been cured" message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's just you.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Fire Giant

Good to know!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If an enemy casts a (player version) dispel, like cancel magic, not like a glimmer drake or watchful guard casting an aoe dispel which still removes them from top to bottom, it seems more random and unaffected by junk buffs in the top slots now. I've had level 30 mobs in TOFS cast cancel magic on me and it'll dig through 13 buffs to get POTG in the 14 slot.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:29 AM
Planar Protector

Sometimes client and server disagree on the order of your buff icons.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:54 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm trying to figure this out currently. My theories, though couldn't verify by now when client/server get out of sync on (de-)buff order:
- dispelling
- rebuffing an existing buff; at least on the client the buff will jump to the first free slot. Iirc on live it stayed where it was, so maybe p99 server also does not change the buff slot number in this case.

Vallon Zek (1999-2003) <Boten der Apokalypse, House T'Sai, Innoruuk's Legion, Orden des Lichts, Ancient Orden, Ancient Dawn>
[65 Barb SHM] Stear | [54 DE CLR] Palanthas
Old 04-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Aviak

I also noticed a couple of times that my bufforder was different after a relog/disconnect or maybe even after zoning (not sure about the last one).
Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah this is true^^

From 2015 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dispell is not random.

Cancel Magic (9) always removes top slots, unless the buffs got reordered on client compared to what server thinks.

h

Haynar's opinion on other peoples opinion of the P99 dispel system vs. Live, just found it while I was looking for the above quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You can argue all you want. You can reference ancient posts where people guess how it works. I took a shit load of data to make one of the best efforts to date in reproducing this classic mechanic. Many thanks to all those that dug up info, that helped me get this working right.

For those that want to continue arguing that I got it wrong. STFU, delete all your chars, and go play somewhere else. Clearly I did not do this for the ungrateful bastards who have an over inflated sense of self entitlement.

Haynar'd
Closed Thread