Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Tried soloing in Sol Ro Temple a bit. Possible, but painfully slow and bad exp.

Would love to see some exp guides by the people saying "just be creative" who haven't shown much of their own creativity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm gonna hit up Akanon soon.

I enjoy going to the out-of-the-way places or killing things people don't often kill for exp. What I have found so far is, if it wasn't designed for exp, it's usually terrible exp (by a factor of 3-5+ from "normal" exp.)
Old 05-25-2020, 01:53 PM
Banned

Well the wiki guide also points you to the best places, which we didn't know back in the day.

When was the last time you seen players in EC looking for group members to camp nektulos guards? it did happen back in the day.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tried soloing in Sol Ro Temple a bit. Possible, but painfully slow and bad exp.

Would love to see some exp guides by the people saying "just be creative" who haven't shown much of their own creativity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm gonna hit up Akanon soon.

I enjoy going to the out-of-the-way places or killing things people don't often kill for exp. What I have found so far is, if it wasn't designed for exp, it's usually terrible exp (by a factor of 3-5+ from "normal" exp.)
This.

Almost Every "out of the way" areas for exping is typically twice as slow at least, even after the exp increases to underused areas ; unless you are a specific class using specific niche spells in a specific area while being a specific level for that camp.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundumbwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This.

Almost Every "out of the way" areas for exping is typically twice as slow at least, even after the exp increases to underused areas ; unless you are a specific class using specific niche spells in a specific area while being a specific level for that camp.
So, help me out here, because I'm seeing a lot of complaints about stuff on the forums that may be passing over my head as a newer/returning player. But is the complaint that the "fast" exp camps are usually full, and so players are having to resort to killing random/wandering mobs etc. and the exp from that is slower and so leveling is slower?

Because that was about half of my experience back in the day on the live game.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardylooGubbins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, help me out here, because I'm seeing a lot of complaints about stuff on the forums that may be passing over my head as a newer/returning player. But is the complaint that the "fast" exp camps are usually full, and so players are having to resort to killing random/wandering mobs etc. and the exp from that is slower and so leveling is slower?

In my experience on leveling in green it's not as simple as the "fast" exp camps are full, they are typically completely locked down by groups and its just pure luck to be a relevant class/level to be invited to that group at whatever random time someone leaves, even at 4am server time. That's actually perfectly fine, everyone wants that's sexy group and great exp.

But then you got to a secondary, semi decent camp with decent exp and it's locked down by a solo, or duo that refuse to invite you because it's only a semi decent exp camp and they want to maximise exp gain. Again, sure kinda lame but it makes sense. Move on.

You go to a 3rd semi decent camp and get declined by the solo or duo there. You go to a 4th semi decent camp and meet the same resistance.

You've now been online for 2-4 hours accomplishing nothing but using EQ as a chatroom with guildies and friend in /tell trying to find a great or even decent exp spot and say fuck it. Imma go to where no one goes, afterall so many people screech like parrots on the forum about it being viable. You go there and mobs are roaming all over. Yellows whites and blues galore. Fuck yea! This is where I can play the game and enjoy it.

An excited hour later of constantly killing mobs you notice you only made half a yellow bubble because the exp is so god awful and you realize that's why the zone is empty to begin with.

Then at hour 5-6 of accomplishing pretty much nothing besides being better at dominating Mavis Beacon via chatrooming EQ you log off because you have work soon.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardylooGubbins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Exactly. People got used to modern MMO pace and forgot about the grind. Then they come to classic EQ and get upset when they can’t get the fastest EXP possible. Essentially a lot of people have realized they don’t actually like classic EQ now that they have seen the alternatives.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Exactly. People got used to modern MMO pace and forgot about the grind. Then they come to classic EQ and get upset when they can’t get the fastest EXP possible. Essentially a lot of people have realized they don’t actually like classic EQ now that they have seen the alternatives.
muh spreadsheets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-27-2020, 12:42 PM
Fire Giant

Think Gundumwing said it, best.
But again blame the Wiki, and non dial up connection. The game was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyy different back with our rose color glasses on.
Back in day it was an adventure you would spend your whole night just looking around. XP was just a side thing. Exploring a zone you never been too, jsut to run into a group of close level, grouping with them and exploring..

p99 isnt about exploring anymore sadly. Though there is some are chance, but 90% of it is the grind.
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>
Old 05-27-2020, 01:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundumbwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my experience on leveling in green it's not as simple as the "fast" exp camps are full, they are typically completely locked down by groups and its just pure luck to be a relevant class/level to be invited to that group at whatever random time someone leaves, even at 4am server time. That's actually perfectly fine, everyone wants that's sexy group and great exp.

But then you got to a secondary, semi decent camp with decent exp and it's locked down by a solo, or duo that refuse to invite you because it's only a semi decent exp camp and they want to maximise exp gain. Again, sure kinda lame but it makes sense. Move on.

You go to a 3rd semi decent camp and get declined by the solo or duo there. You go to a 4th semi decent camp and meet the same resistance.

You've now been online for 2-4 hours accomplishing nothing but using EQ as a chatroom with guildies and friend in /tell trying to find a great or even decent exp spot and say fuck it. Imma go to where no one goes, afterall so many people screech like parrots on the forum about it being viable. You go there and mobs are roaming all over. Yellows whites and blues galore. Fuck yea! This is where I can play the game and enjoy it.

An excited hour later of constantly killing mobs you notice you only made half a yellow bubble because the exp is so god awful and you realize that's why the zone is empty to begin with.

Then at hour 5-6 of accomplishing pretty much nothing besides being better at dominating Mavis Beacon via chatrooming EQ you log off because you have work soon.
Sounds like you're a big fan of instancing, you just don't know it yet.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohedron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you're a big fan of instancing, you just don't know it yet.
Honestly I would be down with a larger bonus for having a full group (or larger group). That would basically eliminate the issue of duos or solos not wanting to add more people and create a lot more opportunity for everyone to be getting XP.
Closed Thread