Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Sarnak

Default When does necro soloing become "worth it"?

I have a level 21 necro on green and I've never played one before. I tried killing the hermit in South Karana at level 20 and could mostly handle it (even con, occasional fear/darkness resists led to me having to feign and pet dying) but even with the two minute respawn timer I felt like I was getting more exp per hour in a full group in Unrest due to the ZEM. Killing yellow or red mobs solo leads to more resists but killing low blues seems to take too much mana for the amount of xp I get.

I have a spyglass for GCD reset.

My general strategy is

Pull with darkness
Send pet in
Fear
Heat Blood
Siphon Life if needed
Reapply Fear as needed

This usually leaves me with ~30-40% mana remaining which I regen back by the time the hermit respawns.

Am I maybe not doing 51% damage? Is the pet eating too much xp?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:35 PM
Orc

With only darkness and heat running plus sending the pet in immediately after darkness lands, I would suspect you're losing XP to the pet. Mix in the lower level poison bolt if you don't want to burn mana on heart flutter. Probably would also need to hold pet until the hermit is down on health some, or back the pet off after you get fear to land if you have some resists.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

You're definitely not doing 51% if you're sending in your pet right away.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:35 AM
Sarnak

Question about the spyglass, as I see this mentioned a lot. What does the gcd reset allow you to do ? First I’m seeing this in relation to eq and not sure how it works and to what benefit here.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Planar Protector

It saves you a couple seconds between casts. It's not terribly important for necros. Since necros are more about cast efficiency than spamming spells quickly. it does have another very unique function related to the top spell gem. It immediately resets the spell you have there. So if you had a spell that had recast time, you could click it and it would immediately refresh the spell. However, you cannot truly recast the spell until the recast time is elapsed but you can START casting the spell before the recast time. A few classes gain a lot from this little quirk, while others will never use it.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:38 PM
Large Rat

Would the FD cooldown be related to that?
Old 11-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattssu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would the FD cooldown be related to that?
no it just resets the global cooldown between casting spells. all spell recast times are still the same and not reset, unless they are in spell slot 1 and a longer casting time than 2.5s
Old 11-19-2019, 01:16 AM
Sarnak

I don’t understand lol.

To op: my necro is lvl 20 now... and I’d say soloing became a lot easier with the new light and pet
Old 11-19-2019, 11:08 AM
Banned

Pet is eating too much HP for sure.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natewest1987 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t understand lol.
The Global Cooldown Refresh clicky is an item that has an instant cast "click". When you do this the spell gems in the spell bar refresh which saves you valuable seconds when you, for example, cast a spell on a rooted mob, root breaks, and you click the GCD clicky to make the spell gems refresh faster. If you don't use the click all your spell gems go dark for a little bit after casting.

Wizards get the Staff of Temperate Flux which is an excellent tagging/pulling item as well as GCD clicky. The Kunark item Shrunken Goblin Skull earring is what most people used on Blue but its not in game yet. People want spyglasses because it casts a clicky instant spell that refreshes the spell gems and everyone can use it. The issue with the spyglass is that it zooms in and makes your vision wonky but you adjust quickly.

When you use the GCD clicky there is an exploit with whatever is in spell gem 1 and you can spam it. People will often put a root spell here but really you can put whatever spell you think would be best in it. If you have a long recast time on a spell that isn't in slot 1 it will still be greyed out while the other spell slots will light up after using the clicky. Its a bug/exploit and you need to take a little bit to personally understand it.

Its "confusing" but its really not if you don't think too hard about it. You cast a spell, click the clicky immediately, and you can immediately cast another spell instead of waiting for the spell gems to refresh. It is important for all caster classes to use a click but its not "necessary." You do save very valuable time and get casts off much quicker which will save you damage and will keep mobs at a farther distance if you are rooting.

You definitely gain a significant advantage properly using a GCD clicky.

<The A-Team>
Closed Thread