Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My main is a 54 ENC. To time a charm kill just right for mana efficiency if hide doesn't work you lose 50% of the XP. And that hide (I believe) is a 50% chance (or less - I charm kill on my WE druid as well). So just get used to casting invis as over time, the onvis cast plus med plus full XP will outweigh the failed invis XP hit.

So the answer is - go gnome. Going gnome is always the answer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd probably agree with the gnome part, but how much charisma does an enchanter need to be able to solo charm reasonably well? The only videos I've seen of low level enchanters were twinks with 200+ cha unbuffed.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabouter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd probably agree with the gnome part, but how much charisma does an enchanter need to be able to solo charm reasonably well? The only videos I've seen of low level enchanters were twinks with 200+ cha unbuffed.
I have a 20s enchanter and around 140 charisma with the charm buff we get. It's fine. I have charms last forever, though some break sooner (its random duration), and have almost never had a resist even when my charisma was lower and pre charisma buff. The key is to only charm greens until you feel really comfortable. Blues break much, much more often.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:28 AM
Planar Protector

Back in the day I made an erudite enchanter on the grounds it was much easier to find + charisma gear, as well as there not being much competition for +cha gear. My general theory was to focus on hit points while loading up with +cha gear and riding out the erudite int for all it was worth.

That was my "classic" time period logic, anyway. And it was generally agreed upon that all stats had significant diminishing returns, so, in a way, you wanedt to get more well rounded stats for the ultimate "end game" character. so when you look at erud sta+cha+int, it was clearly the best min-max race. And since I was in an uber guild, I really was never worried about CR. Any thoughts about my "naked" charisma never entered my mind.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:21 AM
Sarnak

for efficiency, i think it would be ring > hide > taper enc > ivu > invis

especially on green, go highelf for max cha
Old 09-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Sarnak

high elfs are hideous and the slightly extra cha won't make a difference. DE is min/max best /thread
Old 09-27-2019, 03:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IIRC - if you are not a rogue, you cannot actually tell when Hide works, even with See Invis. You have to ask a friend.

Shadowknights get hide at 35 and on Live, I barely used it (Gather Shadows was better unless I was completely OOM).
If you are not a rogue and want to check if your hide is active or not, untarget yourself, do "/target [yourname]" command.
If you are targeted, your hide failed, if not, your hide is active.

Considering a npc with faction change is another way to check, but there are cases where this won't work (on indiff mobs while invis and undeads which are kos to you for example)
Cerras - Hierophant // Dharkan - Warlock
Kirua - Assassin // Veuve - Gravelord
Tornade - Warder // Fikko - High Priest
Dikkenek - Warlord // Barraki - Crusader
Old 09-30-2019, 05:12 AM
Kobold

Extra cha as a high elf is more important than the hide ability for DE. Cha is a challenge for many enchanters to max even in Velious, starting in classic it will be impossible. You want to be a high elf imo.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Fire Giant

I've gone back and forth on this so many times over the years and experienced so many different enchanters from so many different play styles, tiers of gear and other that I think it's safe to say anything can be made to work, especially on blue.

Even the concept of min-maxing for HP/CHA is debatable and I've participated in very good arguments that lead me to believe that min-maxing for CHA/INT is arguably better in some scenarios.

If I were to reroll again on blue, I would make an Erudite. Their CHA+INT baseline is higher than high elves by 5 points and their STA is higher by 5 points. This is partially mitigated by the (questionable) 5 points into AGI baseline required to avoid the AC penalty.

If I were to reroll on green, I would make a high elf. It will be a long time before you can reasonably hit 255 and starting at 90 is hard to beat.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Orc

I was struggling with this issue as well (High Elf for stats vs. Gnome for looks), but then I found out that RektYou, who does awesome Enchanter soloing videos on Youtube, has a base Charisma of 95 and still kicks ass (he plays High Elf but didn't put any points into CHA). He does have access to Kunark/Velious gear since he's on Blue, but eventually everyone on Green will too.

So just pick the race that you think looks coolest, and as long as you dump 25 points into CHA and focus on CHA gear you will be fine. Do you really want to be a copy/pasted version of everyone else anyway?
Old 10-02-2019, 09:37 PM
Large Rat

The goblin ring will/should break charm period regardless of creature type. Just like CoS will break undead charm for necro's even though it's regular invis. This is something I've learned recently. I have a goblin ring and plan to test it but I've been told it works
Closed Thread