Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the No Boxing Rule?
I think its important to this server's health, and should stay. 220 74.58%
I think it should be removed. 58 19.66%
It wouldn't affect me either way. 17 5.76%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Kobold

Groups are easy to come by if 1) You aren't bad at your class. 2) You aren't a douche(even then, groups will take you).

Your points aren't valid.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Banned

i had no problem grouping ever as a monk, i think the longest i've waited was 10-15 minutes or so, granted i am social, not an asshole, and found a group of buddies with my same play time, i'd recommend being chatty and doing the same if you have an issue not finding groups.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Orc

I'm only level 25 and I've already seen boxers hard at work trying to ruin this server. Boxers regularly take camps that groups could, and would, set up in. Mistmoore GY was a recent experience of mine in this regard.

I also firmly believe that fully half of the people petitioning for a IP exception so their "wife can play too" just want to box. And that goes for the people requesting character moves from a single account so their "friend can play" as well. <--just a boxer wannabe who pines for playing both of his characters at the same time.

To the person who wants to box because he can't find a group: The reason you can't find a group is starting in the 20's more and more people are boxing, getting friends to PL them, or box PL'ing themselves. To request that boxing be made legitimate because of this is to ask to finish breaking something that at the moment just as a crack in it.

When you get a chip in your windshield you have it repaired, you don't finish the break with a hammer. Because then you'll just have to replace the whole thing (What I'm metaphorically saying, of course, is that the whole server's integrity will be ruined and we'll have to go elsewhere or start over).
Last edited by Mad Jacq; 08-29-2010 at 09:14 AM..
Old 08-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I'm new to Project 1999, and think the concept (and so far the implementation) is great. I'm posing my question/observation here more as an investigative side on my part.

I remember the days of two-boxing back on the SOE subscription servers. It seemed to go on with quite a regularity. Now, I breezed through this thread, and it seems the consensus against views two-boxers as folks who are going to control camps, which would otherwise be available to groups. That definitely was an issue, back in the day, with server loads to the upwards of 2000 online.

Now, people have expressed concern of that happening here. With server loads (from what I've seen) ranging anywhere from 400-600 online at a time, and the size of Norrath, is there really a worry that it would happen here? Gosh, I would hope not. I mean, I understand, that if every single person online two-boxed, that would push server loads to anywhere up to 1200 online, which still (hopefully) would allow plenty of content to share.

As I said, I'm asking purely to find out what is in-store for me as a budding gamer on this server. It seems that, overall, everyone here is good-natured, and here for the fun of re-experiencing this game in it's infancy, to recapture some of that enjoyment that we've all lost with the advent of the genre. I would like the think that everyone here would be welcome to helping each other out, and allowing the game to be fun for everyone. Maybe that's a dream world, I dunno.

To throw my two cents on the voting process, I don't have an opinion on two-boxers, but if the concern proves to be true I would whole-heartily support maintaining the current rules in place.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Orc

I will say, back in the early days (beta to release) My grandparents got beta cd's, and my grandmother, grandfather, and I played. They played more than me (yes, gaming grands. funny right?) But they were a monk/druid combo. They were online at the same times, and would level sometimes by themselves. But for the most part, they were in groups contributing when they could solo. When my grandmother couldn't or didn't want to play, my grandfather would log in the druid, and still be a contributing factor to the group. I played a rogue, and most times they'd get me in a list for the group and we'd settle in for an evening of exping. While I think that more than 2 boxes would affect the server in a negative manner, I don't see the problem with 2 box maximum. Me and my wife currently play. She doesn't play as often as I do by far, and for the most part, she just levels in my cleric if i need buffs or a res. She started a mage, and I could have easily kept her alive to do whatever she wanted to do. But she chose to find groups to have a social aspect.

That said, not everyone that has the ability to duo whatever they want will actually do so. In the same regards, not everyone will want to box. I was playing on another server before here that you pretty much had to box on. I quickly left because I just don't like to maintain 2 boxes.

To get back on track, I would support the option to 2 box.. For the longest time, my wife wanted to play when I did (before the ip exemption) and she couldn't. Now we are able to log in at the same time, but can only run the accounts that have been exempted at the same time. So therefore, a method is already in place to prevent you logging in multiple accounts no the same ip. I don't think it'd be hard to regulate at all.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

2 Boxing is stupid, during peak hours there are almost 1000 people online. This is not kunark, this is not velious, there is NOT enough content to share. Whenever I am online at peak hours there is nothing but waiting for repops in the majority of the dungeons, (mistmoore, cb, unrest, sola, solb, highkeep, lguk, uguk.) People who want to box are the bane of EQ, look at live. We want to be a social community that continues to grow as expansions are released. I've had more fun here in p99 in the 2 months i've played simply because I run into the same people into groups over and over, and enjoy the community I play on.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...there is NOT enough content to share. Whenever I am online at peak hours there is nothing but waiting for repops in the majority of the dungeons, (mistmoore, cb, unrest, sola, solb, highkeep, lguk, uguk.
That's the type of information that I was inquiring about, being new here, not not knowing the population trends. If this is indeed the case, then I would definitely sway to the "no" side of the two-box inquiry. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Large Bat

I realize this is an old thread now, but I took a long break from p1999 and am thinking of returning and wanted to see if the policy on boxing had changed in the time I was gone. Personally, the MAIN reason I'd ever want to log into two accounts at the same time would be to transfer items. I think that making the shared bank work here would be a good thing in this regard. Not everything about eq classic is replicable (what about all the cool old bugs, like how pet weapons used to change the delay of pet attacks, but not their dmg? that was fun for the little while that it happened, but it never happened here) so maybe some "improvements" could be made, that don't really detract from the overall experience.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawtoe
I realize this is an old thread now, but I took a long break from p1999 and am thinking of returning and wanted to see if the policy on boxing had changed in the time I was gone. Personally, the MAIN reason I'd ever want to log into two accounts at the same time would be to transfer items. I think that making the shared bank work here would be a good thing in this regard. Not everything about eq classic is replicable (what about all the cool old bugs, like how pet weapons used to change the delay of pet attacks, but not their dmg? that was fun for the little while that it happened, but it never happened here) so maybe some "improvements" could be made, that don't really detract from the overall experience.
Shared bank supports twinking. Two boxing supports social seclusion. Change the current game and you mind as well start digging the grave and making the coffin.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Orc

I'm a little late to this poll, but I'd like to say that I'd enjoy being able to have 2 accounts on this server. Not for boxing, but for alts.

I can be quite the altaholic if I'm allowed.