Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the No Boxing Rule?
I think its important to this server's health, and should stay. 220 74.58%
I think it should be removed. 58 19.66%
It wouldn't affect me either way. 17 5.76%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Aviak

I voted no on boxing and let me explain why.

While my main is a druid and technically COULD solo for exp, I NEVER do. I hate soloing, it's boring and pointless. EQ is a MMO RPG. Massive multiplayer online.... not single player. When you get boxing you get people making groups with one or maybe two people.

I've started to get to know the community and the players around my level because I'm forced to group with them and get to know them. I've made some friends and found some people I wouldn't group with if you paid me.

If you allowed boxing I'd be rerolling a cleric / SK combo that day. It seems pointless and contrary to the feeling of the game. The idea is to recreate the FEELING of everquest in 1999 right? Back then no one boxed. There was no EQwindows, and extremely few people had the resources or the desire to play on two computers. Now a days my computer could probably run 6 instances of EQ at once.

Plus lets think about how this would affect camps. I could park a level 5 in Qhills at phyzjin or Hadden's spawn and then be off doing stuff with my druid. Holding the camp with a 2nd box while im off not feeling the pain of a camp. Then if a spawn pops, boom, gate there and then port back to the group after.

Lets keep things tight and as a single community and not allow boxing. There are plenty of other servers that do, yet P1999 always has the highest server pop every time I log in.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Sarnak

Voted no boxing because I don't want to 2 box so none of you should be able to either!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Orc

I hate boxing.

I think it's a waste.. There is a guy(or gal) that can just box ANYTHING practically except for raid mobs.. and not ever need help from someone.. That bothers me.

I like that EQ is a community where you have to team up and help one another.. I like that we ask for help to gather items for a common quest or cause.

It annoys me to no end to see someone just exp 2-3-4-5 or more characters at once and just have that many 50s or 60s whatever at once.. and doesn't take the time of day to get to know someone or have the actual STRUGGLE of the EQ.

Flat out, I would quit (again) from EQ if I had to deal with the endless boxing everyone would do.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Large Bat

When this server started, people griped about not being able to box, but I saw the vision of this server and fully agreed with the decision. It is the right decision hands down.

It promotes grouping, it slows down the progress of everyone, it keeps the economy in better condition, it increases the difficulty of the game, it makes for a better server.

Right now I'm in ct, camping aof with a shaman that just happened to be here because I can't do it alone. Do you think I'd let him share a roll with me if boxing were an option? Not allowing boxes is one of the reasons this server has become popular, and I'm annoyed that it would even be polled, it makes me wonder if it was actually a consideration, which I really hope it wasn't.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Sarnak

Well its all been said... Only thing i have to add is.

Frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.

PEQ did not start out as a 20 boxing/ MQing server. I do not ever want this server to go that way. Once you have people boxing they start to complain about controls of their box. Well to fix that the boxers will get MQ. Then we will be right where PEQ is -- 20 boxers running around with secondary programs altering clients.

Ow BTW, If things arn't going well for players- Don't pick a class that cant solo. I didn't chose the class im playing cause i expected the community to lead me around and give me gear.
Last edited by redghosthunter; 02-07-2010 at 12:25 PM..
Old 02-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it's a waste.. There is a guy(or gal) that can just box ANYTHING practically except for raid mobs.. and not ever need help from someone.. That bothers me.
They can already do this. They're called enchanters [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

The primary benefit of multiple characters occurs once everyone is level 50 and melees are impossible to level without assistance. We've not even nearly reached that point yet. Therefore I see minimal benefit to a rule change. I echo the above sentiment: "Don't fix what isn't broken." By extension, I fully support multi-boxing once this server reaches a point where it becomes necessary. Far from being at that point yet, P1999 is still growing in population.

Most of the arguments in support seem rather short-sighted,''I want to play a group-oriented class, but still solo all the time!' or some variant therof. EQ in its current form provides plenty of options (Druid, Mage, Necromancer, etc) for people who want to predominantly solo. Groups are not hard to find if you put forth more effort than sitting halfheartedly on LFG. Requesting multi-boxing for the mere convenience of it, absent any real need, amounts to little better than wanting to have your cake and eat it too. Granted, I don't blame the folks who enjoy it--I do sympathize--but all the same, it doesn't make for a very compelling argument either.

I admit I'm gradually becoming biased against the pro-boxing crowd as a whole, due to their fundamental dishonesty dating back to this project's beta when they swore up and down that we'd have 40 or 50 people at most. Such doesn't help their cause.

In the interest of fairness, I'll state that my opinions, such as they are, are those of someone who dislikes operating multiple characters and wouldn't do it even with a rule change. I don't see 2-boxing as something that harms anyone at an individual level, nor do people who enjoy it bother me (although their arguments are growing tiring). However, I do see some negatives at the serverwide level which, as yet, are not overshadowed by the advantages of this gameplay method. That may change in the future.

EDIT: The existence of a poll seems rather pointless; I consider the outcome a foregone conclusion. A great many people within this community are so....obsessed with multiboxing, so mindlessly hateful of it, that they'll stop at no lengths to demonize and oppose it. I, personally, have even been accused of multi-boxing (what a laugh!) for no better reason than I'm a middle age adult with a wife who also likes EQ. I figure it's something of a witch-hunt mentality. I oppose such extremism and give it no weight. As such, my opinion could be considered centrist with a bias towards maintaining the status quo until such a time as change becomes necessary.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 02-07-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Kobold

I voted no boxing. It will ruin the immersion. Plain and simple.
I'm a Druid too. I could have soloed last night but instead I got a tell
from a Mage named August and we spent like 6 hours in Najena and Befallen. We died quite a few times and almost lost our bodies but it was fun as hell farting around in these dungeons together

myth - 21 druid

ps - thanks Broot. I hope you got your jboots
Last edited by Myth; 02-07-2010 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Added shit
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Make some friends, then you'll have people to group with daily. It doesn't always have to be random.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 02-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redghosthunter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.\
That's actually a myth btw. Just saying. :-)
Closed Thread