Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 02:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Get an entry level position utilizing your existing skills and talents. Then, figure out how to make the company a shit load of money or save them a shit load of money. Leverage your successes for more opportunity, promotion, partnership, or a better offer with the competition.
If you do this make sure it's demonstrable the successes are yours. You don't want colleagues or managers taking your credit.

Be friendly, but not a bother to, the boss of your boss.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Arguably the most interesting facet of the online game Everquest is its homogeneous community of diverse socioeconomic classes and backgrounds.
You mean heterogeneous?
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-05-2018, 06:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're doing OK in life and you're comfortable sharing how you got there, please do.
I went to school for 12 years. After that I went to school for 4 more years. After that I went to school for 4 more years. At the ripe old age of 26, I finally had a full time job that required 3 more years of intense training.

Lots of school and hard work pays off.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mean heterogeneous?
I don't have you're quarter million of colledge debt nor did I have the privillege of life going well for over a century so bare with me if I mispell things.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Planar Protector

Thanks for the replies everyone! Keep those dad paid for my doctorate stories coming in.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:36 AM
Planar Protector

Paid my own way. I'll have the last loan paid off by January.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Planar Protector

Word. Congrats!

I need to decide IT or nursing very soon cause picking out fall classes. Is a "cybersecurity" degree worth anything or do I want a straight up CS path? Nursing is more my calling, I think, but I do have some serious issues with authority and that job puts in a subordinate position, likely forever. Everyone has to deal with a boss though and I'm willing to suck it up. As far as IT goes... I'd love to be autonomous but logic, math, and non-verbal intelligence aren't my strong points. I'm not weak in them, but I wouldn't be a prodigy. I'm stupid good in verbal.. Need input, halp!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Banned

You need a third option.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Word. Congrats!

I need to decide IT or nursing very soon cause picking out fall classes. Is a "cybersecurity" degree worth anything or do I want a straight up CS path? Nursing is more my calling, I think, but I do have some serious issues with authority and that job puts in a subordinate position, likely forever. Everyone has to deal with a boss though and I'm willing to suck it up. As far as IT goes... I'd love to be autonomous but logic, math, and non-verbal intelligence aren't my strong points. I'm not weak in them, but I wouldn't be a prodigy. I'm stupid good in verbal.. Need input, halp!
I watched a lot of people go through CS with not much interest in it (as a math person that had to do some CS, I had a genuine interest in it and literally shit on all the pure CS nerds that were just looking for a fat paycheck someday). They couldn't land jobs because CS just never clicked for them. You'll get some bullshit low-tier programming job in this market, but probably ain't worth it if you're not going to actually enjoy it.

What do you like to do on the daily? What drives you? What can you spend hours doing and not think twice about it? Write them down. Think of what they tap into inside you (creative energy, problem solving, etc). Use that as a basis for what you want to look into.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Why is this in RNF? You seem sincere. Well...I ain't going to rant or flame.

Nursing: Do this if you want back problems later in life. Also do it if you like wallowing in blood, urine, vomit, or feces, any of which might quite often be infested with various highly contagious diseases. Added bonus, you're liable in a civil and potentially a criminal sense if something goes wrong (including easily-made mistakes like getting a med count wrong). Oh, and in some fields your charges might abuse you or beat you up and you have basically no recourse.

Think that sounds negative nancy, just wait till you run into a patient who defecates all over you then laughs, or an MRDD patient who starts gut-punching you because he doesn't know any better. If you work a nursing home and you're a woman, wear a thick padded bra because those old dudes sometimes get pinchy. Even if you don't plan to work in such facilities as a career, you might wind up in them during clinicals and may not have much of a choice.

Not telling you not to go that route--it truly is some folks' calling. But it takes a certain type of person, and you had best know what you're getting yourself in to. I know a lot of folks who do that for a living. Some of them are content with it. Some aren't.

Danth
Closed Thread