Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
copyright violation would be the cause. they are running a bootleg EverQuest server. you could definitely get it heard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, copyright on what? They didn't copy the server code: they wrote it 100% from scratch (and, again, it's impossible for anyone to copy that code, as it's been lost to time). You don't need to be a lawyer to know you can't "violate" copyright on something you aren't copying!

But again, all the art and code in the Titanium client 100% is copyrighted ... which is why R&N won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It still seems odd that in 11 years of this server existing, not to mention all the other eqemu servers, SOE never took measures to stop any of it, .
They did
Old 12-03-2020, 06:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wouldn’t it be awesome if this L7 company or whatever actually really LOVE EQ and went in debt just to acquire the IP? Maybe they have Brads Vision to direct all their resources into creating a live version of P99 (maybe even buying code from Rog just to do it) and also to re create a real updated Everquest 3?

One can only dream....

I like your dream... I really do. I would love to see an updated relaunch of EQ or EQ Next that we have been promised for so long. like I said before I just dont see them having the capital to cover the RnD that would require and cover their debt obligations. UNLESS they get a huge private investor. which that would really be a dream and I would absolutely buy a subscription to try it out.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They did
Who, soe? Or Daybreak? Daybreak *kinda* did, but they were reasonable enough to work out an agreement. The primary concern here is that the new company shuts the whole thing down entirely. That has not yet happened in 11 years, would be my point.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who, soe? Or Daybreak? Daybreak *kinda* did, but they were reasonable enough to work out an agreement. The primary concern here is that the new company shuts the whole thing down entirely. That has not yet happened in 11 years, would be my point.
sony was far more aggressive with their lawsuits from what I remember. I am not an expert nor was I ever in a deposition. From what I read Daybreak was like woah woah woah guys, then after a conversation they where like... you know what thats cool good luck. I am sure there are some devs and GM's on here that can provide a much clearer picture.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, copyright on what? They didn't copy the server code: they wrote it 100% from scratch (and, again, it's impossible for anyone to copy that code, as it's been lost to time). You don't need to be a lawyer to know you can't "violate" copyright on something you aren't copying!

But again, all the art and code in the Titanium client 100% is copyrighted ... which is why R&N won't touch it with a ten foot pole.
This isn’t 100% true. If you create the exact same game...same mechanics, same visual effects and art and graphics, same names for everything, etc. etc. you can probably still get dinged for copyright violations because it’s not just code that’s subject to it.

The analogy here would be like painting the same exact thing using a different type of paint.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:50 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn’t 100% true. If you create the exact same game...same mechanics, same visual effects and art and graphics, same names for everything, etc. etc. you can probably still get dinged for copyright violations because it’s not just code that’s subject to it.

The analogy here would be like painting the same exact thing using a different type of paint.
If you create a product while employed by a company unless there is a specific agreement typically the rights to what you have created belong to the company you work for, not yourself. the guy who invented the stick it notepads comes to mind who never made a dime from it.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As I understand it (again, not a lawyer) that's not a good analogy either. It's more like if I write a book explaining the rules of a game, and then someone else writes a book that explains those exact same rules (but using different words).

It's pretty well-established that the above case is legal: you can go into your local book store and find a "Dungeons and Dragons for Dummies" that is basically a "copy" of the Player's Handbook ... but because it's written with completely different words, from scratch, WotC isn't going after the Dummies people.

Or, for another analogy, thing about video game emulators. You can download tons of emulators of various video game systems, even though they duplicate (but don't copy) code from the original NES, SNES, etc. The emulators are 100% legal ... it's the ROMs that are a copyright problem, because they are literal copies of old NES cartridge code.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaldaben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sony was far more aggressive with their lawsuits from what I remember. I am not an expert nor was I ever in a deposition. From what I read Daybreak was like woah woah woah guys, then after a conversation they where like... you know what thats cool good luck. I am sure there are some devs and GM's on here that can provide a much clearer picture.
I'm not aware of sony filing any lawsuits against eqemu or p99, but if they did, clearly they weren't successful because here we are; the server continues to operate out in the open. I'm just saying there's a logical reason not to worry too much about it just based on how the last 11 years have gone, but I'm no expert either.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Aviak

Quote:
I'm not aware of sony filing any lawsuits against eqemu or p99, but if they did, clearly they weren't successful because here we are; the server continues to operate out in the open. I'm just saying there's a logical reason not to worry too much about it just based on how the last 11 years have gone, but I'm no expert either.
you could be 100 percent correct. I am just going off what I remember which was years ago when I wasnt really active in the EQ community. I am just going off what I recall reading which is bits and pieces here and there. Like I stated before I am not worried about the company trying to lawyerquest p99 out of existence, I am more worried about them going under after acquiring the IP and trademarks and what happens next. I am looking at multiple things.

1 company recently changed names - they usually only do that for mergers or to avoid legal litigation under a previous name

2 a few of their top exec's have jumped ship and sold out but still retain partial ownership

3 they list companies that a few of their developers have worked on but no specific games they worked on, if they had worked on Fortnite you can bet they would list it

4 they are in an incredible aggressive over leveraged expansion

5 they fail to preform even close to industry metrics on any charts and far underpreform

6 most of their financial ratios are in the toilet

7 they took out 900 million while acquiring a company for 300 million ( also yes I understand they arent issuing this debt all at once, it will be through offerings)

8 disregarding the 900 million and looking at the 300 million they bought it for and their own projected returns you are looking at 12-13 years just to pay back the principle before they see a return. In the gaming world theres a lot of games that come and go within 13 years and their projections can dwindle quickly if they cant provide new content. - compare it to the blue population once green opened up. no new content people look for other stuff. I simply dont see them having the capital to maintain or get a return and still being able to develop new content.
Closed Thread