Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoutoftrol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mainly disagree here. I guess it depends on your definition of rich but in our current system the most likely way to amass a decent amount of wealth is to be a jobber. Following common investing/retirement advice. 65% of new businesses fail within 10 years of opening. Investing that much time/capital into something with a high likelihood of failure will set you back tremendously. And if you are following the well trodden path of the jobber starting early and being consistent is key.
A bad plan is a bad plan, regardless of what path you take. You can earn over $150k easily by working for someone else in some professions...by objective world and historical standards it would be hard to call that person "not rich". Its all relative.

Not for nothing either, but earning money irl isn't the whole purpose of life or a golden path to happiness...and it isn't in EQ either. Lots of folks find out the hard way that they've spent the first half of their life pursuing a lifestyle that they discover don't even want when/if they get their hands on it.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A bad plan is a bad plan, regardless of what path you take. You can earn over $150k easily by working for someone else in some professions...by objective world and historical standards it would be hard to call that person "not rich". Its all relative.

Not for nothing either, but earning money irl isn't the whole purpose of life or a golden path to happiness...and it isn't in EQ either. Lots of folks find out the hard way that they've spent the first half of their life pursuing a lifestyle that they discover don't even want when/if they get their hands on it.
Plenty of jobs pay anywhere from six figures and even close to seven figures. People just get worthless degrees that will never make close to six figures or they don’t have that desire to ever make something of themselves. Want a good job working for someone else? Become a cpa, learn some blue collar trade there’s a huge shortage of them in the Us and they make a great living. Get into data analytics.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:08 PM
Banned

I am very likeable so my friends gave me several fungis, manastone, donal's bp (prenerf)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:09 PM
Banned

i did it by forumquesting quite literalley
Old 10-30-2020, 11:30 PM
Planar Protector

I started by buying bone chips for 3p and selling them for 5p.

I've moved on since then but kept the ratio the same.

Also, sometimes I port people.

Boom, 500k!
Old 10-30-2020, 11:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started by buying bone chips for 3p and selling them for 5p.

I've moved on since then but kept the ratio the same.

Also, sometimes I port people.

Boom, 500k!
see it's E Z, just farm 2,000,000 Bone Chips [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Plenty of jobs pay anywhere from six figures and even close to seven figures. People just get worthless degrees that will never make close to six figures or they don’t have that desire to ever make something of themselves. Want a good job working for someone else? Become a cpa, learn some blue collar trade there’s a huge shortage of them in the Us and they make a great living. Get into data analytics.
Yeah...I'm not denying that at all. I've made a good living for myself working for other people my entire career. The issue I was getting at is the whole "you can't get rich if you work for someone else" mantra --- it all depends on what you mean by rich.

If you get a teaching degree you can earn 6 figures, life time insurance, a pension...and hopefully do something you like. Few people would call a teacher "rich" though. My point is that even only earning 100k a year is still the jackpot compared to the quality of life most people have in the world or have had historically. Plus, and more importantly, you might actually be doing something you love and find meaningful.

I agree with you about the bull crap degrees. If you graduate from college and have no marketable skills or certifications you will have very few options, and they will most likely be very low pay and something you'd prefer not to do.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am very likeable so my friends gave me several fungis, manastone, donal's bp (prenerf)
define "likeable"
Old 10-31-2020, 01:24 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah...I'm not denying that at all. I've made a good living for myself working for other people my entire career. The issue I was getting at is the whole "you can't get rich if you work for someone else" mantra --- it all depends on what you mean by rich.

If you get a teaching degree you can earn 6 figures, life time insurance, a pension...and hopefully do something you like. Few people would call a teacher "rich" though. My point is that even only earning 100k a year is still the jackpot compared to the quality of life most people have in the world or have had historically. Plus, and more importantly, you might actually be doing something you love and find meaningful.

I agree with you about the bull crap degrees. If you graduate from college and have no marketable skills or certifications you will have very few options, and they will most likely be very low pay and something you'd prefer not to do.
And a diehard liberal is then born.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 10-31-2020, 07:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuklak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And a diehard liberal is then born.
Not trying to be snarky...but, honestly, what do you mean?

I'm not a liberal...and def not a die hard one. Most people in my life consider me borderline libertarian on most issues, especially social and economic issues.

I've been an economics and history prof. / teacher (college and high school) for twenty years...and most of my students associate me "neo-liberal" b/c of my emphasis on Milton Friedman's monetary policy, but (like Friedman) I would call myself a lover of freedom more than anything else (which, is what the word liberal originally meant before it became synonymous with Democrat in America).

Then again I find the modern use of the word liberal in America to nonsensical..."liberal" and "conservative" have been reduced to code words for Democrat and Republican along strictly party platforms. One of the reasons I detest party politics is that most people who align themselves can't explain the arbitrary inconsistent stances each party takes on their platform just to try to win the election; it doesn't map to reality in my opinion.

Truly not being snarky (even though this is a RNF forum) --- did I say something accidentally say something "leftist" when I tried to make the case that graduating with a non-sense degree is a path to economic problems or when I said you can work for someone else and live better than 99.999% of the worlds population historically has ever lived? Truly curious if that is now a "liberal" position in party politics/opinion.
Closed Thread