Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 11:03 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Karana Plague Discussion

The Karana Plague was always something I remembered fondly from live. It was active when I started playing the game in 2001 and as all of my characters back then were from Qeynos I spent a lot of time in the zones that were effected by it.

Fast forward 12 years and I discover P99 and my love for classic EQ starts all over again. However when I started in 2013, I could not find any information on the internet about this Karana Plague and the majority of the people who I asked if they remembered it in game had no idea what I was talking about. I started to wonder if this was some sort of event that happened on my server only or if I was actually crazy and had just imagined the entire thing.

Then one day I had returned from one of my extended breaks of p99 and by coincidence I was passing through North Karana when I noticed the message "your skin feels itchy". Excitedly I look up to the sky and notice it is green, turns out I was not imagining this afterall.

So the reason for this post is that I am trying to piece together all the information I can to do with this event before it is finished. I believe it will end once the Chardok 2.0 patch goes live and as far as I am aware that patch could drop any day now so I want to try and see or do as much of this stuff as I can before it is too late. Here are some of the things I have found so far, but please I encourage anyone reading this to add anything and everything that they might think relates to the Karana Plague event.
  • The event was triggered by the awakening of the sleeper? I have read this a few places around the internet saying that is what triggered the event during classic. I was not actively playing when the sleeper awoke on p99 can anyone either confirm or deny if this happened on our server?

• Plane of Disease? I have seen a few posts that suggest this entire event was supposed to be a lead up to the release of a Plane of Disease but then the idea was suddenly cancelled before the event ended. How much of this do you think was rumour/hearsay? PoD did eventually get released in the PoP expansion, but I like to try and imagine what a classic era Plane of Disease would have looked like.

• Rude individuals? According to some very old eq posts some NPCs called Rude Individuals popped up around qeynos and would harrass players that passed by them. After a few weeks they turned into Loathsome Individuals and their camps spread out into qeynos hills and some new quests opened up that involved them, gnolls bandits and all sorts of other things. I don't know if any of this is true or if its a load of crap. I did manage to find a screenshot of a rude individual on allakhazam and there some interesting comments to be read below it. Can anyone confirm or deny if this ever happened on live or here on p99?

• The Prime Healer's Bulwark! I was running through EC tunnel when I saw a human druid wearing a plate BP that I did not recognise. Upon stopping and asking him what it was he showed me The Prime Healers Bulwark and told me it was a gift from the gods for curing the plague in the Karanas. Speculation as to whether the curing event and reward will happen on p99, what do you think?

• Quests!? I know of a few quests that seem directly related to the plague. The bread shipment quests will apparently be removed once the event ends, will the rabid wolf and bear pelt quests from Qeynos also be removed? Does anyone know of any other quests or NPCs that will cease to exist when the plague is gone, please list them here!

TLDR: Trying to gather up as much info and lore about the Karana Plague before it is gone.
Last edited by Vareous; 07-26-2018 at 11:08 PM..
Old 07-26-2018, 11:34 PM
Fire Giant

The rude individuals had to have been true to some extent BECAUSE the first weapon i ever remember having was this on my cleric. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=97

apparently they only dropped from those guys during the 2 week event or however long it lasted, making the item super rare later on. I always wanted to find another one once my original was lost to time but I never could : (

*i remember a quest for this ring too http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1636

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Last edited by utenan; 07-26-2018 at 11:40 PM..
Old 07-28-2018, 03:23 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The rude individuals had to have been true to some extent BECAUSE the first weapon i ever remember having was this on my cleric. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=97
*i remember a quest for this ring too http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1636
That's awesome, I am glad you could confirm these things from live. I guess they must have come and gone just before I started playing because I never knew they existed until somewhat recently when I started doing research on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TONS of info on the Plague, apparently this was communicated through the newspapers (will P99 implement these?)
Oh Boy Wedar for MVP everyone, this is amazing! So much juicy juicy information here thank you so much for posting all this. Do you know if those newspaper articles were items that you could buy in game or were they perhaps just posted somewhere on official EQ web pages? Either way I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them, thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveeauxfour [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
edit: here we have it, the Codex of War
Awesome you found the Codex of War! I did look for it myself through the way back machine but I quickly got overwhelmed and gave up. I have been linked that specific segment about 5 different times now since posting this thread. That was specifically what I was referencing when I said there were some interesting comments to be read below the Rude Individual Picture. I did not want to copy it verbatim into this post because at first It almost read like fan fiction, but since then several people have confirmed these events did happen on live which makes me very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The plague event will end at the next patch. The staff have Confirmed this 100%. I strongly suggest if you're honestly interested in the event to explore it right now and not wait. It's been over a year so I imagine time is running out.
I don't understand why the majority of comments I have ever read from you come across as hostile. Not sure if you read the OP but I know the event ends next patch and I am actively exploring everything to do with the Karana Plague right now, a very large reason for making this post was to create a comprehensive list of things that I might want to see or do before the plague is gone.
Last edited by Vareous; 07-28-2018 at 03:30 AM..
Old 07-29-2018, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vareous [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand why the majority of comments I have ever read from you come across as hostile. Not sure if you read the OP but I know the event ends next patch and I am actively exploring everything to do with the Karana Plague right now, a very large reason for making this post was to create a comprehensive list of things that I might want to see or do before the plague is gone.
You could say he was a...rude individual [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(btw I love your videos - I used them last night to complete my monk sash/headband quests)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...the first weapon i ever remember having was this on my cleric. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=97
Added item to P99 wiki. Feel free to edit and put your notes!

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Old 07-28-2018, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

The newspapers were indeed purchased in game, new issues were released with each patch. They actually introduced new vendors to each city to sell the papers. Think they cost a few silver each.

Very interesting reads, looks like certain foods may have increased in price and had limited vendor quantities during the plague. Also forced bakers to find new recipes to help feed their people. Seems like qeynos investigator quest is directly related?

Will be amazing if events like this are ever fully pieced together, wonderful attention to detail!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:10 AM
Planar Protector

I definitely remmeber the rude individual in qeynos on small camps around qeynos gate... Unsure if that was from the first plague event or added later, like maybe when they added the badge of nobility... The bulkwart I thing was a gm reward for the first person curing the plague...
Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Planar Protector

Try downloading Vaslin's EQ compendium. It is essentially a document that lists a lot of lore and stuff but also has the usual quest text. Some of lore of the plague may be in there? This guide was basically the wiki of the day, can be found here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020608...compendium.htm

The Rude / Loathsome individuals definitely were a thing, I have noticed plenty of them in my ClassicQuest travels. I've flagged a bunch in my personal archives, here's a few to read through:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5734
Quote:
There are new NPC's in Qeynos hills and S. Qeynos. I read this over at the safehouse and had to go check it out myself after I stopped laughing. They NPCs are called a_rude_individual and when hailed they say:

a rude individual makes a rude gesture at Keamas and says, 'Why are you talking to me? People who talk too much can sometimes find themselves without tongues!'

The funny thing is if you hail a NPC and they are in earshot they make a smart comment. A poster on the safehouse said this:

When a bard told me to go to the bards guild and listen to some music the a rude individual told him that if he ever had a original idea it was just beginners luck.
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5784

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5777

The keepers website had a bunch of mentions of the plague as well, I highly doubt it had anything to do with the Sleeper wakening as there are mentions to the individuals prior to that, and it was on all servers.

In my research journey I seem to recall the Karana Plague was a 'long standing event' and had a bunch of mini-events in other zones tied to it. With each of these 'mini-events' there was some GM always of the same name that people tried to kill or chase away that had info on the plague. For example there was a LoIO event where the sky turned red and Faydedar was in the lake. In that event a player actually got to control one of the GM characters and participate in the story (sounds like he was transformed via illusion / temp name change).

In regards to Plane of Disease, from what I read that was the hopes and dreams from players, I had not seen any developer comments about the intention. Bertox is the king of decay who's lore says resides in the Plane of Disease (may have even been called 'Plane of Decay' back then), so people assumed with the plague that it was his doing and would open up the plane much like what happened with Bloody Kithicor events, etc.

That Prime Healer's Bulwark is cool! Hope it gets implemented so all those shrouded monks can be reminded they really don't have BiS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I recently made a bug report on the Claw of Veeshan item (bug report here), and it details some events that, I think, may have lead to the opening of the Plane of Sky. It would be really sweet if P99 devs eventually put all these 'Norrath official storyline' GM events in with appropriate rewards / titles on refresh.

Need someone like Kraddok to piece together accurate timeline and script of events and such!

EDIT: Forgot, here is a link to some Lore of events in Norrath. I believe they are official releases from Sony/Verant, they aren't logs from events or anything but more from a roleplay write-up perspective of certain events. I don't think the plague is in there, but take a look.
https://web.archive.org/web/20021204...ests/index.jsp
Last edited by Rygar; 07-27-2018 at 08:06 AM..
Old 07-27-2018, 08:23 AM
Banned

Man, I want that BP
Old 07-27-2018, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

So I was curious and looked through Vaslin's Compendium... TONS of info on the Plague, apparently this was communicated through the newspapers (will P99 implement these?), will post each here... apparently there is a tradeskill recipe or two in these, not sure if they were strictly during the plague or new trades that lasted after (paging Sorn), the guide doesn't appear to have every issue of the newspapers, but a lot of them:

Da Swamp News:
Issue #1:

##########################
Dark Elf Lady gits eyeball

Lanys T'Vyl is Dark Elf lady. Someone tell meez dat she go lookin fer sum peices of dis artee-fact. She went to Rathe Mountains and got dis eyeball from some sph... s-ffi... One of dem flying lion headed girl things in Rathe Mountains. Someone tell meez dat she needs two more or sumthin.

Meez eye hurt once. Meez got poked with a stick runnin through da woods. Meez chop tree down so no one else loose dair eye.

Diseased Gnomes Ruin Crops

Dair some plague in Karana. Somebody tell meez dat diseased gnomes and even hoomans are eating all da farmer's crops. Some food prices go up too cuz dair is less food now. So before youse go and eat a gnome make sure it not sick first. It may be fat from eating all da farmer's crops but it may git youse sick too.

Meez got sick once one day.

Skinny Elf Escapes

Skinny little elf lady named Feery Owna got away. Dat ok though cuz local heero Ghargin Bumblock git da skinny elf's stick with da help of his servants Vahlai and Rogkasth. Some lizard guy named Danak was there too. Da stick used to have Tunare magic on it but Cazic-Thule put his mojo on da stick now. So dats good.

Meez got poked with a stick runnin through da woods. Meez chop tree down so no one else loose dair eye. Sticks are ok though.

Issue #2:

Crunga Need Food

Crunga (he is good cook but most Ogres is) tell meez dat he is runnin low on sum tings. He ask meez to ask yous all to help him keep his shop stocked. So if yous dat are gud cooks like Crunga can help him, dat would make him happy. He even says he pay you for your help, so dat is gud.

Life Stiles

Me try out dis new secshun of Da Swamp News. Me calls it "Life Stiles" cuz it all about improving your kwall a tee of life.

Dat is what dis halfling was telling me the udder day. He tell meez dat he also was a reporter for a newspaper. He tell meez dat I should put in dis secshun and gives me dis recipe to use. I made it and it was gud to eat.

Meez thank da halfling for the recipe den meez ate him. The fish tasted better. So here dis halfling's recipe he give me. Meez hope it improves your kwall a tee of life, though it didn't help dat halfling out any.

Muskie Marinade

Ingredients:

Rathe Muskie
Vinegar
Spices
Snake Egg Oil
Fish Wine

Create the marinade by mixing together the liquid ingredients. Allow the Muskie to marinade for several hours. Add spices and cook until skin is golden brown and meat appears lightly transluscent.

Issue #3:

Dark Elf Priest

Da Arch Preest Dorvias, he went to da fort on Kunark. He talked to dat Iksar Danak dat works for dat other guy Venril. He mad cuz dat dark elf lady Lanys T'Vyl is putting something together dat gots dem dark elves worried.

So someone told meez dat dis preest and dis iksar, day got together cuz dis preest want to find dis piece of dis thing dat Lanys is putting together before dat dark elf lady Lanys does it. Or something like dat.

So someone told meez dat day did dis ritual thing and raised up some general or somethun that knowed where dis piece was. So day did dat and now day know who gots it I guess. I dunno. Meez just a journalist.

Wizard Guy Studies but
Loses his Homework

Dat wizard Al'Kabor was having trouble dis one time someone told me.

Soes he got dis guy helping him with his book stuff but da guy did something and gave his homework to dis udder guy. Now dis other guy has Al'Kabors homework is taking da credit. I don't care about dat stuff cuz it better to just hit tings.

Life Stiles

Youse all liked it last time soes me give youse anudder recipe. Meez didn't eat no halfling dis time though but recipe still good. Dis recipe come from a gnome Pirate on Velious but me no eat him cuz he funny.

Orange Flavored Cod
-------------------
1 Cobalt Cod
1 Jug of Oyster Sauces
1 Kelp Garnish
1 Emerald Orange

Issue #4:

Queen Not Like Lanys

Da Queen of Neriak said offishully dat she not like Lanys T'Vyl, dark elf lady and da once chosen of Innoruuk. She say dat any dat follow Lanys of give dair support to her will be kilt. So if youse sees and talks to Lanys, don't let da queen or her peeple find out. Meez tink dat deese dark elves should just git over it.

Hoomans said to be Dumb

Deese dumb hoomans are still fighten up dair in Keenos. Aunt Ownius is after deese bloody savers. Sumthin about diseased gnomes or sumthin causing a food shortage. Meez tink that an Aunt should stay at home and cook. I can sees her wanting a meat cleaver like my ma has but don't know why she would want a bloody saber. So I say dat hoomans are dumb.

Life Stiles

Here's anudder recipe. My ma gave it to me when I asked why an Aunt would want a saber.

Caynar Nut Stuffed Trout

1 Trout, any type
1 Bag of Caynar Nuts
1 Garnish
1 Spices

Issue #5:

Lanys Dead

Dark Elf lady Lanys T'Vyl is dead. She fought valley-ently against da armies of neriak with her army. Da battle wuz gloreeus with lots of blood spilt on da ground. She wuz captured though. Den she wuz sacreeficed. Sum one tell meez dat Innoruuk hisself appeared and slurped her essence back into him again. Den went back.

Meez gotta say dat Rallos would be proud of da battle dat wuz fought. But to be captured and halled off to be kilt like dat is shameful. She shoulda died on da field with da udders. Dat iz da best way to go meez tink.

Vampire With a Stick

Dat Mayong Mistmoore guy has dis stick. It wuz da stick dat Lanys wuz after. Now dat she dead, she not need it no more. So now Mistmoore iz angry at da udder dark elves for failing or sumthin. So to make dem mad, he puts dat stick back togedder. Oh yeah, dat stick was broken before but Lanys wuz trying to put it back togedder. But she dead now. But Mistmoore put dat back togedder now. So dat iz good maybe I guess. So anyway, da stick is all fixed now.

Life Stiles

Welcum to dis weeks ishue of Life Stiles. Dis recipe has vegetables in it. Meez no like vegetable dat much but dis one iz pretty good.

Vegetable Roughy

1 Red Roughy
1 Vegetables
1 Jug of Oyster Sauces
1 Kelp Garnish

Issue #6:

Dark Elves do Creepy Stuff

Sumone tell meez dat dem dark elves did some creepy stuff with da body of dat one dark elf lady Lanys. Meez tink dat a soo-flay would have been better ting to do with da body. But dem elves dat wuz still loyal to Lanys, which meez tink is dumb cuz she dead and stuff. Um...

Oh yeah. But dem elves dat wuz still loyal to Lanys had her body but didn't want to do anyting with it. But dose udder elves in Nair-E-Ack also wanted da body. So day sent sum peeple dair and did tricky stuff and managed to get da body back to Nair-E-Ack.

Me tink dat is creepy. Day waste good meat by putting it in da ground. Meez could unnerstand if day was fighting cuz day both wanted to eat da meat on it. But day wuz fighting cuz day both just wanted to put her in da ground.

Dat is just too creepy.

Feereeowna Vacations

Foofoo High Elf lady Feereeowna Vee took a trip to back to dat koonark place. Meez not sure why she went dair. Meez hope she gets eattin by a dragon.

If youse see her, make sure youse take her to a dragon. Maybe it will eat her. Dat would be good.

Dem stoopid hoomans in up in Keenos found dis guy hoose crops weren't effected by da diseased gnomes dat are eating da plants up dair.

Turns out dat dis guy had a tattoo on his head or sumthin. And that is what made his crops grow so gud. Meez got a tattoo once but it meez never tried to grow nuthin

Issue #7:

Ogre Heero Kilt

Prissy elf lady Feereeowna and her friend Lyirae kilt ogre heero Ghargin Burnblock da other day. Someone tell meez dat day were engaged in a big glorious battle dat Rallos Zek himself would have been proud to come to. Den dat ranger took Ghargin down with a cheep arrow shot to da chest.

Da little prissy elfs fight cheep. Day gots no honer. So weez should all make sure dat we eats all da elfs dat we see cause day don't fight fair.

Sum Dark Elfs Split

Dem dark elfs dat still follow dead dark elf lady Lanys T'Vyl tell meez dat day got demselfs a camp of dair own set up somewhere. Day no tell meez where it is though. Meez gotta wonder what day hope to get done by breakin off from Neriak like dat. Maybe day tink day are pioneers or somethin. Or maybe day just creepy like all dem dark elfs.

Wizard Gets Some Books

Someone tell meez dat book readin finger wigglin wizard Al'Kabor went over to da Plains of Karana. He talked to a bunch of people and then he made dem do all da work. So day went and talk to this gypsee hooman. And she made dem do her work too. So then these people kilt dis honking big eye-ball ting.

Someone tell meez dat after day kilt da honking big eye-ball ting the gipsee hooman gave these guys a box. And den day gave dis box to dat finger wiggler. And dat made him happy cause dair was a book in it. Or somethin.

Hoomans Set to Blow Demselfs Up

Someone tell meez dat da hoomans in Keenose are so tired of dat plague ting and dose diseased nomes eatin dair crops dat day are just going to blow up da Karana Plains and be done with it. Meez tink dis is a good idea.

Freeport Observer:
Issue #2:

Hand of Bertoxxulous Reaches across Norath

The plague unleashed across the Karana plains by the Bloodsabres serveral weeks past has finally reached its venomous hand to our portside city. Provisions have been growing steadily scarce due to the lack of neccesary materials to make bread, muffins, and other goods needed by the citizens and travelers alike.

One of our prospering merchants, Innkeep Hunter, has expressed his concern with this shortage of certain products. "Although we still have plenty of rations, the production of our most fine of goods has been harmed due to the plague upon the Karana fields. We have fear that the deman for these foods shall grow greatlty, but our supply will only decrease to an eventual and severe lack in these goods."

*Runnyeye Citadel Reclaimed*'

We have heard rumors from our merchants and tradesmen who frequent the Highpass area that the goblin miners of Runnyeye citadel have overthrown the Evil Eyes that have enslaved them for several years. The goblins have retakend the citadel as their own and appointed a new leader with the execution of their former king, who was beneath the Evil Eyes control.

There is little direct meaning of this event to the citizens of freeport beyond the possiblity of a compromised safety for the merchants who frequent Highpass Keep, as the Pickclaw clan of goblins remain there as members of a free civilization. We merely look back upon the history that led the corruption of Kithicor Wood and the influence the goblins had in that massacre.

Issue #3:

Qeynos vs the Bloodsabers

Across Antonica, the plague in the Karanas is known to all. Well it appears that our sister city to the west has pointed an official finger. Qeynos has declared war on the Bloodsabers for their suspected involvement in the plague, but they need help. Well isn't it about time?

The Bloodsabers have long been a scourge upon the land and the powers that be in Qeynos have been taken to task more than once for letting them run rampant in the west. Finally we learn the truth behind the inaction- they simply could not handle the problem. Now that their ineffectual policing has resulted in the start of famile-like conditions affecting all of Norrath, they seem at last spurred into action. With the help of hired "investigators," they are finally beginning to make their way slowly up the ladder of that secret society.

It is this kind of thing that truly makes one appreciate living in Freeport under the watchful eye of the militia. I for one sleep easier at night knowing that such corruption and apathy could never threaten my home or my way of life

Al'Kabor - What trouble is He Causing Now?

Reports are coming in from all around Norrath that famed wizard Al'Kabor has a new project up his mystical sleeve. The question is, what is the fallout going to be this time? As always with the surly spellcaster, the problem is his unwillingness to share information about what he is doing. Last seen chipping away at a Wizard spire in the Dreadlands, we can only assume? does he intend to destroy the spires and use their remains so that only he can teleport around Norrath? is he setting a trap for one of his many unsuspecting enemies? Your guess is as good as mine, but rumors say that a former gnomish apprentice of his has acquired some of his work. Keep your eyes here for more details as they surface.

Rivervale Voice
Issue #1:

Blight Upon the Plains
----------------------

The Plains of Karana still bckle under the terrible plague that is effecting the region. A terrible green mist, swarms of insects and wide spread disease are wreaking havoc on the area.

Farmers report withered crops that are nearly unfit for consumption. We are thankful that the terrors unleashed upon the plains of Karana have left us, for the most part, unaffected. Druids are asked to be spread the word to travelers heading for the Plains as many of the animals have become infected with rabies, from the mild and majestic wolf to the fearsome and respectable griffon.

Priests of all kinds are asked to lend their efforts and cure those that become infected to keep the disease from spreading.

Lanys T'yvyl Searchs for Artifact
---------------------------------

Lanys T'yvyl, foul Dark Elf and former chosen of Innoruuk, maintains a small but loyal following in the Teir'Dal community. It has been reported that she has been seeking to gather the pieces of an artifact, once considered cursed by the Teir'Dal.

It is uncertain what she hopes to gain by piecing together this cursed device. We at the Voice believe that this bodes ill not only for we citizens of Rivervale but perhaps the Dark Elven people as well.

High Elven Princess Free
------------------------

Firiona Vie, high Elven princess and daughter of King Tearis Thex of the elves, was returned safely after an extended period of captivity at the hands of the Iksar Danak Dhorentath and his minions. Danak is said to be the leader of a cult and is said to have ties with the hell spawned creature known as danak Dhorenrarh.

We join the people of Faydwer in celebrating this happy occasion.

Issue #2:

Upheaval in Runnyeye
------------------------------

The upheaval in Runnyeye Citadel has caused a great deal of panic amongst the citizens of Rivervale. Clan Pickclaw battled its way through the dwellings defeating the inhabitants, the evil eyes and goblin slaves of Xorbb.

Lord Pickclaw personally executed the Goblin King and his minions, and integrated the remaining Runnyeye goblins into his clan. While most were slain in battle, including Borxx, the remaining evil eyes fell back to the Gorge of King Xorbb.

After the battle was won, Lord Pickclaw struck a deal with a strange subterranean race of fungal beings called the Sporali. The Sporali would do mining work for the goblins, and in return, the goblins wouldn't wipe them out.

Apparently, Lord Pickclaw and his followers had been hidden away for several years building up forces.

The Hobie Mullins Tragedy
-------------------------------------

Helping to fight against the plague in the Karanas, our bakers rush to find new recipes each day.

One of our key reporters was met with an untimely death while trying to spread the news of the new recipes.

Hobie Mullins deemed himself an ambassador of baking. While trying to improve the quality of life amongst the ogres and trolls of the swampy lands of Innothule, Hobie was eaten by a ferocious ogre reporter of Da Swamp News after he gave the beast the recipe for Muskie marinade and some journalistic advice.

In memory of Hobie, we have included the recipe that he was trying to share with the world.

Ingredients: Rathe Muskie, Vinegar, Spices, Snake Egg Oil, Fish Wine

Create the marinade by mixing the liquid ingredients. Allow the Muskie to marinade for several hours. Add spices and cook until skin is golden brown and meat appears lightly translucent.

Hobie Mullins
We will miss you!

Issue #3:

Qeynos Begins Investigations

Qeynos has officially begun formal investigations into the group that calls themselves the Bloodsabres. These worshippers of Bertoxxulous are the group responsible for the tragic destruction and devastation perpetrated against creatures great in small that dwell on the once beautiful and bountiful Plains of Karana.

Antonius and the council have given the task of conducting these initial investigations to his advisor and right hand man, Lord Magistrate Vegalys Keldrane. Expecting a large number of arrests in the upcoming weeks, Vegalys Keldrane has asked that any loyal to Qeynos to contact him personally to apply for the postion of official investigator.

We offer our prayers to Karana that the good followers of Rodcet Nife will bring healing to the broken and savaged lands of the once pristine plains. At the least, perhaps we may begin to feel some closure.

Exotic Foods from Afar!
-----------------------------

From our friends in Akanon comes another tasty recipe! A favorite of the explorers of the frozen wastes in Velious, this fish recipe is sure to delight and tatalize the palette with it's tangy flavor!'

Orange Flavored Cod
1 Cobalt Cod
1 Jug of Oyster Sauces
1 Kelp Garnish
1 Emerald Orange

Issue #4:

*Dirty Dirty Dark Elves*

Well friends, apparently the Demons from Neriak were not content to forever taint lovely Kithicor with their hated hate, nope nope nope. Now ugly ol' Lanys herself has taken up home inside of Befallen ( the place with the skeletons, after the forest before Freeport where the humans live you know). What is a halfling that only wants peace and tranquility to do in such proximity to so ugly nasty dirty a race as them? For one thing, do not go near to the Befallen place, not that we can travel our own forest at night anymore, harrumph.

Remember these helpful hints, Halflings of the Vale: eat a hearty meal before leaving your house (never know when you might need the strength). never be afraid to call to a deputy for help (that's what they are there for after all), don't go through the forest at night (can't stress that enough - in fact, once the sun goes down, you might just want to rest), and of course never ever ever accept gifts from a dark elf, no matter how shiny or tasty.

*A Cros to Bear*

You all remember Holly Windstalker? She runs around near Qeynos getting mad at folks that fights with the bears and the wolves and things there. Well, if I were a poacher (not that I am) I would be extra careful for a while because she is not getting any happier soon. Poor Holly lost a dear dear friend long ago. His name was Cros, Cros Treewind.

He was a very good man that helped Holly in her goals of protecting the wildlife. Anyway, he died a while ago. Caught some bad cold from the water or something over in those parts, but now the city thinks they know who did it. Poisoned the water that is.

The folks there seem to be doing what they can to find the peoples responsible, but no luck yet. With this tragedy being in the news again, residents say Holly has been in a terrible mood lately. Anyway, I think we should all pause a moment before supping tonight and remember Cros.

Issue #5:

Ding Dong The Witch is Dead
-------------------------------------------

She had brought ruin to everything she touches. She has forever cursed our forest with the unsettled souls of the dead. She is also very, very ugly. And now she is dead. Yippppppeeeeeee!!!!!!

Lanys T'Vyl who needs no further introduction has met with her final end it seems. After a very large battle in the Rathe Mountains, even the damn dirty dark elves had enough of her.

Although I guess not all of feel that way so stay clear of that place now because some of the dark elves have made a cult in memory of the mean old cur. What is important is that she won't be bothering us anymore, hurrah!!

Another Bump in the Road
---------------------------------------

They have been working hard over in Qeynos to cure the plague lingering in the Karanas before these awful famine conditions get any worse (there were reports of families right here in Rivervale only getting four meals yesterday). They have been working on magical means of reprieve and testing on some of the infected animals but some misdirected brigand has made off with the test subjects! To help stem the pangs of hunger, Illia has offered one of her lesser known recipes this week for everyone's enjoyment?

Vegetable Roughy:

1 Red Roughy
1 Vegetables
1 Jug of Oyster Sauces
1 Kelp Garnish

Issue #6:

In case there are those of you that have not heard, steer far clear from the Mountains of Rathe. The Dark Elves, in their constant war with themselves, have some splinter group setting up there now (I think it has something to do with the dirty Lanys T'Vyl, but who can keep up with that bunch?).

'tis a good day to be a halfling

The Dark Elves are, as always, at war with each other. The Humans are diseased. The Elves' Champion has run off to Kunark and no one know why. The Dwarves and Gnomes are short. And, Alas, there are we halflings. Look around Rivervale, won't you?

We are eating well and filled with merriment. Find a mirror and remind yourself how lucky you are. Go down to the river with a fresh bowl of Ell's finest, bask in the lazy sunlight and have not a care in the world.

His Crops, They do Grow

Word out of Qeynos is that not all of the Karanas are being affected by the dirty, nasty plague.

In fact it is just one farmer who seems to grow fertile food. What to do, they ask, what to do indeed?

He could just have fortune smiling upon him but there is much fear he works with the plague bringers, poisoning the lands to his own selfish gain.

None know for sure, but the humans have had enough and are sending in Begalys himself to sort it out... no doubt there will be more to say on this very soon.

Issue #7:

The temple of Life in Qeynos has found a way to counteract the plague elements in the Karana lands. This is glorius news indeed. I heard that there was some farmer human there and he was growing foods just fine because he buried a wee statue in his dirt. Seems that this no good man helped the no good men who started the trouble to begin with and those bad folks gave this bad farmer the statue as payment. Anyway, the goodly Priests of Life in Qeynos turned that little statue over and over until they figured out what it was about it that fixed the plague. Soon, they will try very hard to make this magic happen all over the Karanas so we can make fresh muffins and breads again. Happy days!

Lorrk the Insane Slain!

In nearby East Karana, one of the worst of the bad evil eyes there, Lorrk the Insane, was recently dispatched by a band of adventurers. I think gypsies sent them to do it, because they brought them back his parts and she gave them an old chest full of magic stuff. Someone even told me that the chest was for Al'Kabor because he was looking to combine some things. Now what that wizard needs with a chest from the gypsies I've nary a guess, but I am sure glad to have one less thing to be worry about when I pass through that place.

The Antonican Times:
Issue #1:

Food Prices Rise
-------------------------

Farmers everywhere across the Plains of Karana are reporting heavy crop damage as the plague marches on. Already, citizens of Queynos and residents of Karana are feeling the pinch as the shortage of grain and other produce continue to cause food prices to rise.

A farmer reported that this year's crop almost a complete loss. "There is almost nothing left. What little was left was eaten away by swarms of insects a few days ago. I I don't know what I'm going to do" Fears of widespread famine are spreading across the community.

Officials remain upbeat. Vegalys Keldrane, advisor to King Antonius Bayle, had this to say. "Even in light of the poor harvest this year, fears of famine are unfounded. Our city holds enough rations to last a year or longer. Times may just be a bit tight for a little while"

Koada' Dal Princess Homecoming
---------------------------------------------------

High Elven Princess Firiona Vie was finally delivered safely into the awaiting arms of her father, the King of the elven nation. Onlookers report that the King seemed very pleased to see his daughter again. The king was unavailable for comment.

Priests of Tunare report that Firiona seeks the advice of Tunare Herself on recovering an artifact which she lost during the time of her rescue. She is reportedly working with the priests in Felwithe to accomplish this goal.

Magical Discovery Forthcoming
---------------------------------------------

Al'Kabor has recently reported some progress in his ongoing research. Known as perhapse the most powerful living wizard of our times, Al'Kabor has been gathering ancient Tomes and Manuscripts from ruins and dungeons.

Reports from local Keepers of the Art revealed to The Times that the research will likely result improvements in the field of Teleportation.

Issue #2:

Rumors of War Unfounded
=====================

Antonius Bayle issued a statement recently saying that the widespread rumors of war due to the plague unleashed on the Plains of Karana are unfounded. "Though we believe we know the identity of the perpetrators of this terrible crime I must urge all citizens to exercise calm. We are civilized people ruled by law. Thus we must follow the rule of law and not allow ourselves to resort to vigilante justice."

Vegalys Keldrane told The Times that the matter was still under investigation. He assured us that the perpetrators would be brought to justice. He too urged citizens to remain calm.

Food Shortages Cause Merchants Concern
=====================================

A poor harvent and damaged crops are leaving some merchants short on certain baked goods. Karn Tassen, local merchant, had this to say about the food shortage.

"It is hard enough to scrape by and make enough money to pay your taxes in this town. Now with this blasted plague effecting everything, I'm starting to run out of stock. It's a mess I tell you!"

A call has gone out to independent bakers to assist our local merchants and those abroad in keeping their supplies propely stocked. Anyone interested in assisting the community in this time of need should inquire of local members of the Merchants of Qeynos. Those traveling abroad are urged to contact members of the Coalition of Tradefolk.

Issue #3:

Investigations Begin: Arrests Expected
---------------------------------------------------------

This week the Council of Qeynos voted for and nearly unanimously approved a resolution to officially begin investigations into the group responsible for unleashing the virulent plague effecting the Plains of Karana and beyond. Kane Bayle was away on business and unable to vote though he is said to have offered his support to the resolution.

Antonius Bayle and council of Qeynos have tasked Vegalys Keldrane with duty of conducting investigations and bringing in suspected members of the bizarre cult for questioning.

"The time has come for us to begin to root out this evil that has been festering in our peaceful community for far too long," Antonius was quoted as saying.

Vegalys Keldrane, in an effort to expedite the process, has put out a call to those loyal to Qeynos and Bayle for assistance in these investigations. "What we need right now are solid, loyal and trustworthy investigators. I urge any that are interested in becoming an investigator to contact me personally."

He also went on to note that preliminary investigations had him a bit shaken.

"The more I learn from my investigators the more I find that these Bloodsabers have stretched their tendrils of influence all throughout our beloved city and lands beyond."

Still in the midst of this crisis, Vegalys remained optimistic. "Though their true numbers remain unknown and may indeed be vast, we are completely committed to removing this threat from our midst once and for all."

When asked about the strategy he would use to accomplish this goal we were told that they already had identified a number of suspected lower ranking members of the cult. He warns the community to expect some arrests in the forthcoming days as these suspects are brought in for questioning.

Issue #4:

New Leads on the Group Known as the Bloodsabres!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Investigators have been busy these last weeks apprehending many lower ranking members of these worshippers of the Plague Bringer who tried to overthrow Anotnius Bayle and the Council. The questioning of these individuals resulted in turning up new leads that may lead to several of the higher ranking members of this cult.

Citizens may remember some time ago when these strange events first began, that two of Qeynos's finest patrollers Holly Windstalker and Cros Treewind disappeared without a trace. It had happened that the waters of Surefall Glade were poisoned by these Bloodsabres.

Now, investigators have information that may lead them to the two tottering rump-fed miscreants personally responsible for this tragic deed. Though the druids of Surefall Glade were able to purify their waters once again, it was too late for Holly, cros and several of Surefall's protected animals.

In order to prevent the diseased from spreading, Holly and Cros removed themselves from the area. Unfortunately, Cros Treewind was attacked by one of the sacred animals which was maddened by its sickness. Weak and unable to defend himself, Cros was killed by this defiled grizzly.

Anyone interested in assisting with the investigations or in helping to bring these two paunchy ill-breeding malt-worms to justice should contact the Magistrate Vegalys Keldrane for more information.

<* New Recipe *>

On a lighter note, here is a dish that is sure to entertain as well as satisfy!

Caynar Nut Stuffed Trout

1 Trout, any variety
1 Bag of Caynar Nuts
1 Garnish
1 Spices

Issue #5:

Priests of Life Bring Hope: Plague to End Soon?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Priests of the Temple of Life bring citizens of Qeynos and Karana residents new hope this week as they announce their commitment to finding a way to bring an end to the terrible plague that has caused us so much heartbreak as of late.

One radical idea in development is to use a sort of "anti-disease" enchantment that spreads much in the same way as a disease.

However it does not sicken those that come in contact with it. Rather it leaves them perfectly healthy and disease free. The enchantment is currently imperfect and dissipates too quickly to be of any real use right now.

The followers of Rodcet Nife have put out a call to anyone that has a sharp mind and a head for research for assistance with their tests as tehyh attempt to refine the enchantment. Anyone interested in assisting should contact Velarte Selire for more information.

Al'Kabor Continued Research
-------------------------------------------

Reports have reached the Times that premier Wizard Al'Kabor continues his scientific research. His latest discovery relates to the ability to fuse together several different compounds using a combination of standard alchemical practices and good old fashioned wizardry.

The compound is created from substances not naturally combinable without the use of Al'Kabor's secret process and is incredibly strong. The compound also seems to dramatically increase the flow of magical energty to any who remain in contact with the compound.

Al'Kabor used the compound to construct a Sceptre of incredible power. Apparently, this sceptre was given to an individual who was very helpful in assisting Al'Kabor in his studies. Regardless of this artifact's incredible power, no doubt it is viewed as a mere trinket to the mighty wizard.

Issue #6:

Local Farmer Turns: Residents Shocked
-------------------------

A local farmer by the name of Jansen was recently discovered to be siding with those vile followers of Bertoxxulous. Complaints from residents of the Plains came to light when it was found that while most local farmers crops are doing poorly at best, farmer Jansen's crops thrived.

Vegalys Keldrane, with the assistance of several local residents confrounted the farmer. It was found that he did indeed turn to the followers of Bertoxxulous in order to save his family from starvation and himself from ruin.

Magistrate Keldrane retrieved an idol buried in the farmer's field that had an aura of protection upon it that rendered the farmer's fields immune to the plague's effects. The Priests of Life are very excited about this finding, which may result in the final end to this terrible perpetual disaster. The fate of the farmer remains unknown.

Ring Leader Found!

In related news, Azibelle Spavin, the woman personally responsible for unleashing the terrible plague upon the Karanas has been apparently been located.

Vegalys Keldrane has entrusted one of the best investigators and one of Kane Bayle's best guardsmen with the task of hunting her down and bringing her to justice.

Body of Teir'Dal Leader Stolen
---------------------------------------------

From the eastern coast of antonica, our friends in the city of Freeport have brought word that the body of the recently slain leader of a powerful faction of Dark Elves has been stolen.

According to reports, the body of Lanys was being held by those once loyal to her. However, special agents loyal to the King and Neriak were sent in on a special mission to steal the body for reasons unknown.

Issue #7:

Priests Find Cure: Plague to End Within Days!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Velarte Selire, priest of Rodcet Nife, claims that with the tremendous outpouring of support for their research they have finally found a way to bring an end to the plague which has been troubling us all for so long.

Ironically enough, the solution to the problem about how to end the plague was found within an idol made by the followers of the Plaguebringer himself. In our last issue, we reported on a local area man, who had turned down the dark path and made a pact with the Bloodsabers.

In return for his loyalty, the farmer Jansen was given an idol and told to bury it in his fields. His crops flourished. After being discovered, the idol was confiscated and turned over to the Temple of Life.

Velarte Selire told the Times that they were able to purify the magical aura imbued into the unholy idol and remove all traces of the Plaguebringer's influence. The priests were then able to modify the magical aura using their current anti-disease research so that the effect is dramaticallly more itense and powerful.

When we last spoke with the Priests of Life, they were constructing a number of braziers which were to be imbued with this new purifying aura. The braziers will be filled with a special incense and a massive "smudging" ceremony will take place. The smoke produced will then react violently against the impure elements in the Plains of Karan, eradicating the plague.

Some citizens expressed grave concern that the idea was untested and the effects of such powerful release of magic are unknown. However Velarte has assured us that though the sheer force of the magical energy to be released will be tremendous and perhaps frightening to some, he assures us that it is harmless and indeed beneficial to all living beings, plant and animal alike.

The Dark Truth:

Runnyeye Citadel 'Liberated'
From the Clutches of
King Xorbb

Reports of a battle within the Citadel of Runnyeye have been intercepted from messengers across Highpass Keep and the Karana Plains. These reports have given word that the goblins have gathered enough gall and feral distaste for the Evil Eyes that have held them as slaves and miners within the Gorge of King Xorbb to cause a successful uprising.

It has also been confirmed that the former King of these goblin slaves has been executed by the leader of the rebellion who then took command of his abase subjects and the keep. King Xorbb, however, remains alive and a possibility of a counter strike from him remains.

The Plaguebringer's Blight

The kingdom of Qeynos felt the venomous touch of the Plaguebringer's hand several weeks past, but only now is this successful act of the Bloodsabres reaching the four corners of Odus.

Good Eva, the baker of our darkened fair city, has reported that supplies obtained from the fields of Karana are few and those that rely on the bounty of those fields are now suffering as a result. The citizens of Paineel shall, unfortunately, feel the touch of the Bloodsabres' success in bringing about the power of their divine lord, a success that we may find reason to give retaliation toward if our own city suffers at any greater length.

The Mining Circular
Issue #2:

The Mining Journal
Circular 2

=+=+=+=+=+=+
- Qeynos not at war -

King Antonius Bayle be assurin' all the citizens of Qeynos that reported threat of war was nothin' more than rumos. He urged everyone to remain calm and not t'be resortin' to acts that were against der ways. . .an' der laws.

=+=+==+=
- The Lass Firiona -

Ag'in we bring you news from Felwithe. The lovely Firiona Vie has managed t'git the sacred stones for summoning the avatar of Tunare. 'Tis sure t'be a sight t'see such lovely lasses together.

=+=+=+=+
- The Brewer's Corner -

As any good dwarf be knowin' a good drink be hard t'find. 'Tis why we added dis special section fer dis edition of the Mining Journal. Iffin' ye want to try out a new brewin' recipe, try ya'self som' fancy Fizzlepop.

T'make the Fizzlepop, be mixin' these. . .

1 Aerated Mineral Water
1 Sylvan Berries
1 Berries
2 Bottles

Dis sure be not an Ale drink but we're sure you will find it tasty.

=+=+=+
- Lost and Found -

Baker Gretta Mottle, a lovely lass she be, has recently agreed to set up shop in Tumpy Irontoe's fine pub.

You'd be sad to hear that she lost several crates of her bakin' good durin' the move to Kaladim from Freeport.

Her assistant is sure he saw the crates come off the boat. What happened to 'em from there, he don't be knowin'. Grett be offerin' a handsome reward for the return of her crates.

The Odus Chronicles
Issue #?:

A calm to the storm
---------------------------------

Antonious Bayle IV made a reassuring announcement to his people of the Qeynos Kingdom, quelling any unfounded rumors that a war between the follower of The Plaguebringer and those who would wish to restore health to the soil of their kingdom. The benevolent king made promise to his people that he would not bring them to a war that would cause any innocent lives to be lost and that all propaganda and coercing of the vengeance hungry citizens toward such an act should cease immediately.

We give a great bow of respect to the sovereign king in his stern yet appeasing act of maintaining peace in a time of turmoil.

The Search for the Lost
--------------------------------

Several months past, one of our admired and esteemed citizens, Aderius Rhenar, disappeared while upon a routine visit to Toxxulia for purposes of research. Leraena Shelyrak, Mistress of the Peace Keepers, has expressed great distress at knowing her prime student has been abducted and has made plea to the council to find him, or his remains.

The primary suspects in this abduction were always either the Kerran or the Heretics, but recent evidence has pointed to the kobolds of Odus. We have received information that Aderius is being held captive within the Warrens for reasons unknown, but it has been assured that he is still alive.

Despite our desires to see this priest freed from the kobold's clutches, the location of the Warrens and our enemies that reside within Paineel have given us proper reasoning to give merely our prayers to The Tranquil for the safety of the abducted

Tinker's News and World Report
Issue #2:

Goblin Home LIberated
--------------------------------

In an effort to bing you news both above and below the surface of Norrath, we have received a report of a quiet war that broke out between the goblins known as the "Pickclaws" and those of "Clan Runnyeye". A goblin calling himself Lord Pickclaw apparently lead the rebellion.

The Runnyeye clan and the Pickclaws split when a monsterous Evil Eye by the name of Xorbb used his terrible powers of the mind to enslave, coerce and otherwise muck-around-with the goblins, eventually taking over Runnyeye Citadel.

Many escaped during this time and relocated under the Serpent Spine mountains. They have been a thorn in the side of the humans of High Keep ever since. They called themselves the Pickclaws due to their interests in mining.

Lord Pickclaw and his army rolled easily over the goblins of Runnyeye Citadel and he personally executed the former Goblin King and even, it is said, the Evil Eye known as Borxx. It was also reported that this "Lord Pickclaw" struck a deal with a race of fungus creatures called the sporali, whereby Lord Pickclaw would agree not to kill them in return for their mining ore for him.'

Stones Completed:
Ritual to Commence
-----------------------------

Yeolarn Bronzeleaf, Priest of Tunare, has reported that he has completed the creation of the stones required by princess Firiona Vie. The stones will be used in a ritual whereby the princess will attempt to summon the power of Tunare to seek guidance for the recovery of the artifact staff, known as The Lifeguide, that was given to her by The Mother of All.

The Royal Herald
Issue #2:

That Which is Sacred

Several days past, our princess and divine Champion, Firiona Vie, made a plea to our High Priest of Tunare for the creation of the four sacred stones of nature. The elves of Tunare have had little need for these stones since our migration from Tunaria, but The Priests of Tunare have kept such rituals sacred and within the archives of documented rituals.

Abiding most graciously to Firiona's request, Yeolarn Bronzeleaf set immediately to work on the four-day ritual that would produce the stones requested. The days have passed and the stones have been completed. Now we wait patiently and with the greatest of hope that Tunare's Champion shall be successful in her need for these sacred stones.

Thirst for Vengeance Quelled
----------------------------------------

The people of Qeynos have cried out for blood and the rumors of war have glided through the Karana air as a bitter, screeching horn played by the inept.

Anotonious Bayle IV, ruler of Qeynos and the karana Plains, has called for an immediate silence to the painful rumors of blood and battle.

The young, zealous ruler demanded that all remain in peace and that he will do all within his power to see that war does not come to his kingdom so long as he ramains upon the throne. The people have since given to their sovereign's just rule and returned to their daily routines.

So there you have it, more info on the plague than could fill your wildest dreams!

Kraddok, I hereby command you to create a video summarizing all this delicious lore...
Closed Thread