Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 08:45 PM
Large Rat

Most '99 enchanters got charm at 12, tried it, charm broke in like 30 seconds because it was too high a mob / they had terrible charisma so they never touched it again.

They didn't even think about charm soloing as an option because whose gonna save them when charm breaks? They didn't know about GCD clickies. Plus everyone wanted them in groups anyway, so why bother?

It's really not hard to figure out why charm wasn't a thing in an era where people turned using the keyboard, couldn't see full screen, were on 28.8 modems that would disconnect, actually used the /roleplay tag seriously, had no wiki to consolidate information, were unaware of GCD clicky items, printed out zone maps, and thought hybrids were the best classes in the game.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly think only about 75 players on this project actually played in 99.
...And some of that bunch are millennials who were little kids when EQ came out (hence bad at games) and forget that some of us were grown adults who were very much more capable. It's amusing watching the issues change but the claims stay the same. We had basically these same threads with things like melee combat bind, invis pulling, chardok AE, you name it. Heck, when P99 first opened and charm was lasting full duration every time (remember that?) of course you had the Enchanters swearing up and down that was totally normal. Broken whirl was entirely legit too, ench's only didn't use it back then because they were too stupid obviously, etc etc. What can you say?

That being said after 11+ years here I can't motivate much "care" anymore. I ain't going to disappear tomorrow, but I've definitely been watching my own activity gradually wind down the past few years. Even if they fix it now, probably too late to do ME much good anymore. That ship's more or less sailed. I think of P99 as its own game, not so much as an emulation of anything, anymore.

Danth
Old 05-14-2021, 09:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost wolves [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most '99 enchanters got charm at 12, tried it, charm broke in like 30 seconds because it was too high a mob / they had terrible charisma so they never touched it again.

They didn't even think about charm soloing as an option because whose gonna save them when charm breaks? They didn't know about GCD clickies. Plus everyone wanted them in groups anyway, so why bother?

It's really not hard to figure out why charm wasn't a thing in an era where people turned using the keyboard, couldn't see full screen, were on 28.8 modems that would disconnect, actually used the /roleplay tag seriously, had no wiki to consolidate information, were unaware of GCD clicky items, printed out zone maps, and thought hybrids were the best classes in the game.
Look at this guy's full sized brain, nothing like those morons in 1999
Old 05-14-2021, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost wolves [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The world record for 1 - 60 in WoW Classic is 36 hours. People were speed running it as soon as it dropped and yes, they were doing PLENTY of things people didn't do 17 years ago. You can watch it on YouTube/Twitch. Search for Zeegers.
https://www.furiouspaul.com/wow/

This is nothing new and was happening when WoW was BRAND NEW

I remember that was one of the biggest complaints about WoW... people who played eq leveled to 60 in a week or two and then there was nothing to do...the end game wasn’t even in the game at launch
Old 05-14-2021, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Honestly think only about 75 players on this project actually played in 99.
I was one of the few who was fortunate enough to get to play it....

I had been wanting to play Ultimate Online since I first saw it in a Rollings Stone magazine... it sounded amazing.. there was one kid at school who played it... the rest of us couldn’t convince their parents to let them...

Well one day my best friend was excited because EverQuest was supposed to come in the mail.. he pre ordered it from the mall... I was confused because I never heard of it. When he explained it was like Ultima... I was like IDK it sounds dumb...

Well, once he got it he just stopped playing Starcraft altogether... which annoyed me. I spent the night with him, and watched him play this game and I thought it was the dumbest game I had ever seen in my entire life. He was running around a swamp killing tadpoles over and over again and I didn’t get it... it felt like a really shitty “multiplayer” game...

I just played Starcraft all night while he played EQ, then he finally passed out so I decided to try EQ... I was immediately fascinated by the different races, classes, religions etc. I didn’t understand what a Cleric was but it sounded super boring. I thought Monks were Catholic monks too.. and wondered why anyone would play either of these stupid classes.

I ultimately made a rogue because I didn’t know what abilities like dodge and pick pocket and backstab would do... I thought I could actually backstab my friends or pick pocket their loot or press dodge to dodge spells.... ended up staying up all night making new characters...

One thing I think people forget is that EQ graphics at the time were groundbreaking.. it felt like real life compared to other games of that time period, especially with thunder and night time...

My parents still wouldn’t let me get the game until my dad was watching his stock channel and one of the analysts on there mentioned the game on the show, and he rushed out and got me the game got really into watching me play and would get me the latest expacs and buy me new computers over time as new expacs launched and I needed better hardware.

I wasn’t high level in 1999 though. I had a level 36 rogue before Kunark came out and I don’t even remember what zones I leveled in to get that high in retro..

But I spent many hours playing the game at a much higher level from 2000-2004 and always remember charm being that ability that when it worked was amazing, but never being reliable. Everyone knew Enchanters used charisma though, that’s why they always had a crude stein and ishva robe lol...

I also remember as a rogue/monk player getting destroyed by my own dual wield frequently... I’ve never experienced or witnessed this on p99 or TLP ... can remember being a bitter rogue getting out DPSd by warriors who had wurmslayers while my hip got deleted as I did less damage but swung 5-6x as often
Old 05-14-2021, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...And some of that bunch are millennials who were little kids when EQ came out (hence bad at games) and forget that some of us were grown adults who were very much more capable. It's amusing watching the issues change but the claims stay the same. We had basically these same threads with things like melee combat bind, invis pulling, chardok AE, you name it. Heck, when P99 first opened and charm was lasting full duration every time (remember that?) of course you had the Enchanters swearing up and down that was totally normal. Broken whirl was entirely legit too, ench's only didn't use it back then because they were too stupid obviously, etc etc. What can you say?

That being said after 11+ years here I can't motivate much "care" anymore. I ain't going to disappear tomorrow, but I've definitely been watching my own activity gradually wind down the past few years. Even if they fix it now, probably too late to do ME much good anymore. That ship's more or less sailed. I think of P99 as its own game, not so much as an emulation of anything, anymore.

Danth
Yeah, and it's great, and I still miss classic, vanilla EQ. Because I want to live those memories real time, do it differently now. And I know my memories will never match reality, and so this place is more like a memory of that game, it's great to revisit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was one of the few who was fortunate enough to get to play it....

I had been wanting to play Ultimate Online since I first saw it in a Rollings Stone magazine... it sounded amazing.. there was one kid at school who played it... the rest of us couldn’t convince their parents to let them...

Well one day my best friend was excited because EverQuest was supposed to come in the mail.. he pre ordered it from the mall... I was confused because I never heard of it. When he explained it was like Ultima... I was like IDK it sounds dumb...

Well, once he got it he just stopped playing Starcraft altogether... which annoyed me. I spent the night with him, and watched him play this game and I thought it was the dumbest game I had ever seen in my entire life. He was running around a swamp killing tadpoles over and over again and I didn’t get it... it felt like a really shitty “multiplayer” game...

I just played Starcraft all night while he played EQ, then he finally passed out so I decided to try EQ... I was immediately fascinated by the different races, classes, religions etc. I didn’t understand what a Cleric was but it sounded super boring. I thought Monks were Catholic monks too.. and wondered why anyone would play either of these stupid classes.

I ultimately made a rogue because I didn’t know what abilities like dodge and pick pocket and backstab would do... I thought I could actually backstab my friends or pick pocket their loot or press dodge to dodge spells.... ended up staying up all night making new characters...

One thing I think people forget is that EQ graphics at the time were groundbreaking.. it felt like real life compared to other games of that time period, especially with thunder and night time...

My parents still wouldn’t let me get the game until my dad was watching his stock channel and one of the analysts on there mentioned the game on the show, and he rushed out and got me the game got really into watching me play and would get me the latest expacs and buy me new computers over time as new expacs launched and I needed better hardware.

I wasn’t high level in 1999 though. I had a level 36 rogue before Kunark came out and I don’t even remember what zones I leveled in to get that high in retro..

But I spent many hours playing the game at a much higher level from 2000-2004 and always remember charm being that ability that when it worked was amazing, but never being reliable. Everyone knew Enchanters used charisma though, that’s why they always had a crude stein and ishva robe lol...

I also remember as a rogue/monk player getting destroyed by my own dual wield frequently... I’ve never experienced or witnessed this on p99 or TLP ... can remember being a bitter rogue getting out DPSd by warriors who had wurmslayers while my hip got deleted as I did less damage but swung 5-6x as often
Yeah hahaha, wurmies were the raaaage when they came out my friend who was hardcore into farming on his necro immediately made a warrior twink. They were the coolest.

Objectively froglock tads are way cooler than regular moss snakes. Looking forward to charming some snakes in blackburrow though!

I think I spent as much time on casters realm and reading about the game as playing it, was a bit older, but not by much.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:24 PM
Aviak

Will one of you two shit posters please bump https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=384480 back to the top instead of this cashed out bullshit?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:43 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah, everyone was just bad at enchanter on live + 10 fps and 350 ping

Move to resolved.
It was strictly practical. A group had to not go ld or lag out to hold a camp or not wipe.

Charming in the dial-up era is like what Mason Verger concluded regarding cutting his face off:It might sound like a good idea, but it isn't

resolved, really. I often played with Aussies even though I was EST. Corpse runs were a hassle and Aussies are untrustworthy, so "caution" was the word.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Danth
Quality post, I'm in the same boat. P99 has become a custom EQEmu server and is no longer attempting to recreate classic.

Channeling proves this to me. Proof provided that P99 channeling is obscenely far away from classic values and the staff just lets the bug report fade away with not even a single comment. We put tons of work into researching bugs and figuring things out and it just sits there. Devs occasionally making a "fixed pending update" response to some trivial bullshit bug and leaving the major issues to fester unaddressed.

There is no point hearing endless morons try to justify how it's just slow computers or player knowledge that explains how channeling rates at level 1 on P99 are 50-70% successful compared to 10% on live. Such a core mechanic like this being overlooked shows no one is interested in classic EQ anymore.

Classic EQ is too hard and takes too much time to get raid pixels so we'll just smooth some of these rough edges so the raid scene can be a boring bottlenecked cluster fuck that no one enjoys but is fully available to even the dumbest greenest newb to EQ after a couple weeks of playing. WoW players don't like a 10% chance to cast a spell in combat when they start, they won't play if we fix it.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:20 AM
Fire Giant

Ten years I've played here, donated money, time, my reverse engineered code is in the files you download, etc... and can't even get a single response about channeling rates from a dev.

I'm done for awhile again. Fuck this.
Closed Thread