Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I ended up not picking Dwarf for anything. Paladin has to go to Human, because they are the most vanilla and the archetype is rooted in the real-world crusades. Do you really think of a short, fat, beer drinker when the word Paladin comes to mind?
I agree that both Paladins and SK's are crusaders. They are religious fanatics. Basically warriors who are out to conquer not just for the usual spoils of war but in the name of their gods.

But dwarves, despite being fat little drunks, are basically a literal underground cult devoted to Brell. Its not at all out of tune with the race to be religious zealots. It seems more odd when a human goes all-in on a deity like that when they live in cities full of a variety of people with different beliefs all living together in relative harmony.

Far from being the unifying factor that Brell is to dwarves or Inny is to DE's, lopsided adherence to one god only causes problems in human cities so they'd have additional reasons not to become TOO fanatical about religion.

As a tangent, the two sides of knights aren't that much different in this regard, its their gods who have opposing goals, the goal of the knight itself is to wage war for the victory of their deity. Pretty fucked up either way. You will see the truth of Mithaniel Marr or be purged!!! Yikes man can we just chill out and farm some loot?
Old 08-11-2020, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some of you responding really need to resd the original post: "By iconic I mean the race most people are most likely to think of if you play word association with that class or when they picture that class quickly in their mind."
I read that literally and since it wasn't specific to EQ my answer would be "Human" for every single one. The non-EQ popular sources generally outweigh any EQ sources, these being very niche.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Barbarian for rogue but just slightly. Truth is I see tons of rogue races. It's prolly the most diverse race-wise.
This was the hardest choice to me, halflings and gnomes feel iconic as well and the whole class kinda makes the most sense as a human in some ways. I feel like dwarf has always been a very popular choice for the class though and it tends to be the first thing I picture in my mind for an EQ rogue.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Aviak

Bard: Half-Elf
Cleric: Dwarf
Druid: Halfling
Enchanter: Air Elemental
Magician: Gnome
Monk: Iksar
Necromancer: Dark Elf
Paladin: Human
Ranger: Wood elf
Rogue: Human
Shadow Knight: Troll
Shaman: Barbarian
Warrior: Ogre
Wizard: Erudite.

But how about anti-iconics?!

Bard: Humans
Cleric: Gnomes
Druid: Half-Elf
Enchanter: Any race without robe graphics
Magician: High elf
Monk: Human
Necromancer: Gnome
Paladin: Erudite
Ranger: Human
Rogue: Dark elf (no point to getting the guise, after all!)
Shadow Knight: Human
Shaman: Ogre
Warrior: Wood elf
Wizard: Human
Old 08-11-2020, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

Barbarians and Dwarves shouldn't even have Rogue as one of their class choices. It's not in their cultures to be shady loners, and they definitely are not what I think of when a sneaky, stealthy, nimble person comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree that both Paladins and SK's are crusaders. They are religious fanatics. Basically warriors who are out to conquer not just for the usual spoils of war but in the name of their gods.

But dwarves, despite being fat little drunks, are basically a literal underground cult devoted to Brell. Its not at all out of tune with the race to be religious zealots. It seems more odd when a human goes all-in on a deity like that when they live in cities full of a variety of people with different beliefs all living together in relative harmony.
I don't agree with the part about it seeming odd for humans to be religious; they do it because they feel like it makes them more important. Whereas a race like Dwarves, there's little special status to be gained, people don't much care if you've chosen that path. I don't think Dwarves care as much about expanding their religion and going to war for it either, they are preoccupied with living underground and their specific way of life, and mainly want to protect their territory.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Barbarians and Dwarves shouldn't even have Rogue as one of their class choices. It's not in their cultures to be shady loners, and they definitely are not what I think of when a sneaky, stealthy, nimble person comes to mind.

I don't agree with the part about it seeming odd for humans to be religious; they do it because they feel like it makes them more important. Whereas a race like Dwarves, there's little special status to be gained, people don't much care if you've chosen that path. I don't think Dwarves care as much about expanding their religion and going to war for it either, they are preoccupied with living underground and their specific way of life, and mainly want to protect their territory.
Dwarfs are interesting... their rogues guild forbids crime in Kaladim, so instead they embezzle, extort and defraud their closest allies, such as Akanon (see quest ‘The Take’).

Personally, I don’t think the miners guild works as a concept for dwarf rogues. I think the cover for a dwarf rogue guild would be some kind of loophole lawyer firm.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRusty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But how about anti-iconics?!
Warrior: Wood elf
Hey now, in p99 Blue classic era one of the most famous and highest ranking ...and perhaps therefore iconic... players on the server was a wood elf warrior. Otherwise, how could he have RMTd the entire guildbank and overcharged my insane guildy for the toon!?

Or maybe he was a half elf. I forget.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Banned

Enchanter: Gnome

Magician: Gnome

Necromancer: Gnome

Wizard: Gnome

Cleric: Gnome

Druid: Druids are garbage

Shaman: Troll

Bard: Wood Elf

Monk: Iksar

Ranger: Wood Elf

Rogue: Gnome

Paladin: Delete this class, if you had to i guess dwarf

Shadow Knight: Troll

Warrior: Troll first, wood elf second
Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
See you in thurgadin!.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True classicness means a lot of Humans. People would chose Human whenever possible back then, as their first character, simply because they had no idea about the game and they'd pick "a safe choice".

There were a lot of Human wizards or Necros running around... stuff you don't see too much nowadays.
I remember back during Vanilla people also thought that Humans had a XP Bonus. I believe it was printed in one of the EQ strategy guides (perhaps even theanual itself?)
Closed Thread