Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 03:13 PM
Large Bat

Default Observations After Less Than 3 Weeks Back in EQ

I literally stumbled upon a p99 video on YouTube, and here I am. Took me a while to get the game up and running, but a tutorial video on YT helped there as well. So after less than 3 weeks back, how am I enjoying the game? Some observations.

-- The feelings of nostalgia and being thrown back 20 into a LIFE that I led for 4 years is simply amazing. The first thing I did with my first character was run him from Surefall Glade to Qeynos Main Gate, just to hear that Qeynos theme as I approached. This time I didn't make the mistake I made that first day of EQ, and run up to the guard and hail him, and get insta-killed the moment my finger descended on the "A" key. I was literally choked up for the first 2 or 3 hours back in the game.

-- I astonished myself with what I still remembered, or at least knew from muscle memory. That first run from Qeynos gate, though to the zone into SQ and then on to the bank, went flawlessly with no wrong turns. How spooky is that! I've played dozens of MMOs and hundreds of computer games since I left the original EQ, but nothing ever touched it for sheer immersive gameplay.

-- The player base on P99 is much, much, much more friendly than in the original EQ. I have had so much help and assistance these past few weeks that I am simply astonished. Sure, I've come across a couple of dicks, but for the most part, everyone is friendly and super helpful. I think a big cause of this is that everyone is an experienced EQ player, and nobody is a really true newbie, and so you have far fewer of the really ignorant players that don't have a clue what they are doing, train zones every 5 minutes, blatantly kill steal, spam the zones with /shout complaints, etc ... in other words, a player base like we used to have back in the first years of EQ after launch.

-- Final observation. I really wish that I had heard about p99 earlier. I do understand from what I have read that this it is a small project largely run by volunteers, but I do wish that there was a better way to get the word out, as I am sure that there are far more old time EQ players who would love to come back and give this game a second go around. As I said earlier, the only reason I am here is because a p99 video popped up on YouTube completely by accident, likely related to some other video I had watched, or search I had done. Had I not stumbled across that video, I'd still be completely unaware that this great server was even in existence. I am glad I am now back playing again, however. These past 3 weeks have been a blast, and i'm looking forward to many months/years to come.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:57 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome back to Norrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 05-18-2021, 07:33 AM
Fire Giant

Welcome back man glad to have you!
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>
Old 05-18-2021, 07:47 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome back! Don’t raid!
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-18-2021, 08:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervaaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-- The player base on P99 is much, much, much more friendly than in the original EQ.
Like Skarne said: Don't raid. The raid scene on P1999 attracts the large majority of the troublemakers. Folks get sucked into it then end up hating the game and quit. Make a conscious effort to stay out of that part of the game and you'll be better off for it. Beyond that piece of advice, welcome and enjoy your time here.

Danth
Old 05-18-2021, 10:47 AM
Banned

its not really friendly it's more like 'let me indoctrinate u 2 my side' 'fresh meat' 'stockholmy'

if u are genuine in ur personality and actions on this server u will eventually make implacable enemies, but ppl are sooo thirsty for pixels they hide themselves behind a facade of 'ohhh let me buff u with sow so u don't petitionquest me maybe'.

honestly a server with only dark elves in truest LARP form would be more genuine and more honest
Old 05-18-2021, 08:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its not really friendly it's more like 'let me indoctrinate u 2 my side' 'fresh meat' 'stockholmy'

if u are genuine in ur personality and actions on this server u will eventually make implacable enemies, but ppl are sooo thirsty for pixels they hide themselves behind a facade of 'ohhh let me buff u with sow so u don't petitionquest me maybe'.

honestly a server with only dark elves in truest LARP form would be more genuine and more honest
You know, the longer I’ve played here I’ve found that the people who talk about how toxic other players are etc. tend to actually be very toxic in game themselves.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervaaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The player base on P99 is much, much, much more friendly than in the original EQ.
I'm sorry to focus down on such a great post but this part is really, really true. P99 in game is so much more friendly and open to others. I've heard this from every brand new player I came across. Double so for those I helped get exp. P99 is a great place in game no question. I strongly encourage others to convince their friends and family to try p99. Once in game, it's all about socializing and making friends.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:36 AM
Sarnak

Welcome back! I too find the vast majority of players are decent folk - I think because most of us are a bit older and mature than the population on live it's a lot more enjoyable.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I literally stumbled upon a p99 video on YouTube, and here I am. Took me a while to get the game up and running, but a tutorial video on YT helped there as well. So after less than 3 weeks back, how am I enjoying the game? Some observations.

-- The feelings of nostalgia and being thrown back 20 into a LIFE that I led for 4 years is simply amazing. The first thing I did with my first character was run him from Surefall Glade to Qeynos Main Gate, just to hear that Qeynos theme as I approached. This time I didn't make the mistake I made that first day of EQ, and run up to the guard and hail him, and get insta-killed the moment my finger descended on the "A" key. I was literally choked up for the first 2 or 3 hours back in the game.

-- I astonished myself with what I still remembered, or at least knew from muscle memory. That first run from Qeynos gate, though to the zone into SQ and then on to the bank, went flawlessly with no wrong turns. How spooky is that! I've played dozens of MMOs and hundreds of computer games since I left the original EQ, but nothing ever touched it for sheer immersive gameplay.

-- The player base on P99 is much, much, much more friendly than in the original EQ. I have had so much help and assistance these past few weeks that I am simply astonished. Sure, I've come across a couple of dicks, but for the most part, everyone is friendly and super helpful. I think a big cause of this is that everyone is an experienced EQ player, and nobody is a really true newbie, and so you have far fewer of the really ignorant players that don't have a clue what they are doing, train zones every 5 minutes, blatantly kill steal, spam the zones with /shout complaints, etc ... in other words, a player base like we used to have back in the first years of EQ after launch.

-- Final observation. I really wish that I had heard about p99 earlier. I do understand from what I have read that this it is a small project largely run by volunteers, but I do wish that there was a better way to get the word out, as I am sure that there are far more old time EQ players who would love to come back and give this game a second go around. As I said earlier, the only reason I am here is because a p99 video popped up on YouTube completely by accident, likely related to some other video I had watched, or search I had done. Had I not stumbled across that video, I'd still be completely unaware that this great server was even in existence. I am glad I am now back playing again, however. These past 3 weeks have been a blast, and i'm looking forward to many months/years to come.
Nice man, welcome home!