Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 04:21 AM
Sarnak

Fear kiting in certain places in certain dungeons is doable. eg - kaesora, the long tunnels once cleared otw to library. Lower guk near one of the zone ins, once cleared. The hole open pit area, again once cleared. Anywhere that has a long area they can wander about in really, especially once you know their pathing routes. If they do start to go somewhere that's likely to cause trouble, root em.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Sarnak

Clearly the best of both worlds for necros should be employed. Charm an undead mob as your pet...then fear kite using that pet.

There's several outdoor spots that you can do this around. All you need to do is find one undead mob to be the pet and you're good to go.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by williestargell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clearly the best of both worlds for necros should be employed. Charm an undead mob as your pet...then fear kite using that pet.

There's several outdoor spots that you can do this around. All you need to do is find one undead mob to be the pet and you're good to go.
Problem with this is you lose the ability to kill 2 at a time.

The strength of charming is that your charmed pet, while damaging your target, is getting damaged himself. When you break charm at the end of its life that's two low HP mobs you can easily kill.

If you fear kite with a charmed pet then you still have to break charm at the end of each fight but you then only have 1 low HP mob to kill, and you will have to recharm your old pet regardless.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Daldaen, can you expand on the charm soloing technique for necros? I've tried to figure this out on my own but have not been very successful. A few issues I've encountered:

1. I will charm an undead, but either the charmed one or the enemy one will still have close to half health when the other is nearly dead. What do I do here? Lots of nukes for both? Nuke the weak one dead and then charm the one with 50% hp and continue onto a new mob?

2. What exactly do you do when the charm fails? I know you are supposed to keep the enemy one rooted. Do you also root the charmed one when charm fails, then re-charm it? It gets chaotic fast and I often find myself just FD'ing to avoid dying and wasting a bunch of time waiting for the mobs to reset.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Sarnak

Your issues are easier to address in reverse order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2. What exactly do you do when the charm fails? I know you are supposed to keep the enemy one rooted. Do you also root the charmed one when charm fails, then re-charm it? It gets chaotic fast and I often find myself just FD'ing to avoid dying and wasting a bunch of time waiting for the mobs to reset.
If you've kept the enemy mob is rooted as you should, all you have to do is cast Screaming Terror (18sec mez) on your broken pet and recharm it. If Screaming Terror gets resisted, cast Harmshield, then recast Screaming Terror when it is available. If Screaming Terror is getting resisted so often that you often find yourself without an available Harmshield, you likely need to find lower level undead. Screaming Terror is a much quicker cast than the charm spells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. I will charm an undead, but either the charmed one or the enemy one will still have close to half health when the other is nearly dead. What do I do here? Lots of nukes for both? Nuke the weak one dead and then charm the one with 50% hp and continue onto a new mob? If your pet was critically weakened, just root it instead of recharming, and finish it with dots,
In the case that the enemy mob is whooping your pet in hp total, you need to notice this as it is happening and balance it out by tossing a splurt or other efficient dot on the enemy mob.

In the case that your pet is winning, you simply break your pet with invisibility before the enemy mob dies, cast Terror on it, lifetap the enemy pet to finish it off, then recharm your pet. Now as your send it at a new target, you will have the aforementioned case where your pet is getting whooped because it is starting off weakened. DoT the enemy mob.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:03 PM
Planar Protector

1. Use Undead Nuke / Undead Root (Hungry Earth) / Lifetap to finish off low HP targets. Break whenever your target or your pet drops to 5-10%.

2. Can use Screaming Terror as a mez/stun to recharm the mob. Yea keep the target your pet is fighting rooting as much as your mana/efficiency allows. FD if you run into trouble and let it reset.

If you have the money, buy the reagents for the Self runes, those help on charm breaks a bit.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Daldaen, can you expand on the charm soloing technique for necros? I've tried to figure this out on my own but have not been very successful. A few issues I've encountered:

1. I will charm an undead, but either the charmed one or the enemy one will still have close to half health when the other is nearly dead. What do I do here? Lots of nukes for both? Nuke the weak one dead and then charm the one with 50% hp and continue onto a new mob?

I can provide an example for charm killing, (I will discuss the procedure for charm killing in the howling stones basement).
{I assume you know and have the basics.. "Circlet of shadow" and lich..etc. And are good enough. Iksar necro's no, I do not play one. However sometimes I think it would be much easyer in some areas}.
The thing the necromancer wants to have at all times is no downtime. and more mana in there mana pool, (the procedure below gives just that).
In the basement you have to have a sufficient distance from you and the mob so the "Screaming Terror" cast will go off, (or you will be beat up somewhat).
Never bother with unded DD's or haste.. just keep a deflux up as your damage to kill the pet and keep your health up by occasionally defluxing a mob your pet is beating on.
The procedure.. charm a roamer. and tell it to guard..(normally your charmed roamer will be in a good spot)..
Target the mob you want your new pet to beat on..
Send pet in.. and tell it to back off. Once at the guard spot.. root the target mob and dot it up with splurt only, deflux to health back as needed from liching.. (KEY:use Splurt as you root timer). Then target your pet and med.
Keep an eye on messages for root break due to pet push, (re root and re-splurt if this happens).
If and when charm breaks you will have enough time to "screaming terroror" your pet re-charm and send it back. and tell it to guard again at the fight spot.
If adds .. just root them..and splurt them, (used for root timer).
When your pet is low on health, (at or less than 6%) break charm and deflux it. No need to root as by the time it gets to you, your distance cast should have allowed time for a single deflux.
Rinse and repeat..

I found that I could sit in the safe spot and kill mobs, never move untill the basement was clear.. Then run down to clear each wing entry of mobs.
Last edited by ctre; 05-20-2015 at 11:45 PM..
Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Awesome, thanks for the all the tips. Was always a mystery to me. I guess the key is really making good use of Screaming Terror in tight moments. I completely forgot about that spell other than for initially breaking a camp. Will have to find the Words to research Harmshield too. That sounds useful.

I think I might head down to Kaesora and give this a try. Really good ZEM there, lots of undead, and my Iksar Necro is 45 so I think I should be the right level for some of those mobs.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Fire Giant

You might also like to check out this video I made for Charasis basement. I took it a bit slow, and made a few errors, but it should show you a practical go at necro charming.
Last edited by Uteunayr; 05-21-2015 at 04:47 PM..
Old 05-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yuuup. Definitely watched that over my lunch break and it was super useful. Very skillful play. I think I've got a handle on it and finally understand the true power of necros. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread