Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(You're on a private EverQuest server that's better than anything Live has come up with in the last decade+)
P99 is awesome but so far as I know there has never been an attempt to create an era accurate vanilla-kunark-velious experience, so I can't find anything to disagree with you on. If they did try to make it, however, I would definitely give it a shot.

That's what I'm dealing with now in WoW. I played in 2004, I played a private recreation of vanilla, now I want to play an official recreation of vanilla.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

The impression I'm getting though is that this will be less an official re-creation of vanilla than simply Blizzards version of a timelocked progression server. As in they are starting with only vanilla content but it will be adulterated by various code updates that affect the "classic feel".

At least based on some second hand beta opinions and what little I've read about the server itself from official information. I could be wrong about how it will actually play out in real time though.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The impression I'm getting though is that this will be less an official re-creation of vanilla than simply Blizzards version of a timelocked progression server. As in they are starting with only vanilla content but it will be adulterated by various code updates that affect the "classic feel".

At least based on some second hand beta opinions and what little I've read about the server itself from official information. I could be wrong about how it will actually play out in real time though.
Classic WoW will forever be locked at content available prior to the first expansion and it is definitely not a true-to-original clone. It's pretty much what I've been hopeful for since I lost interest in retail WoW.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

If this thing continues to make money throughout the progression of content up through Naxx you can bet your ass that TBC will be on the way.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If this thing continues to make money throughout the progression of content up through Naxx you can bet your ass that TBC will be on the way.
I wouldn't say this is out of the question but I think they'll find some other way to make this happen. It wouldn't make much sense in my opinion to force current servers to new content. My guess is that they would spin up new realms or come up with another system to not harm existing servers.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Man, you guys took a hard turn there real quic while I was at work. Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjalx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nuggie,

The dragons were never rooted on live during this era. It was never designed that way. During Luclin and PoP we were still pulling the dragons around NTOV with farm crews. Some of them even came to the zone in during the Velious era (Eashan/Ikatar).
https://www.project1999.com/forums/a.../t-220561.html

This post pretty easily proves your quote wrong, or misleading atleast depending on how the sentence could be spun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjalx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And I said 100+. Right now the current meta is to engage the dragons with multiple flurry drakes/guards at the same time with 100 people. This has made things pretty much impossible for smaller guilds, and has basically wiped them all out.

You make it sound like this was the intent of rule design. If so, that's a wonderful opinion you have. Personally, I think the Riot meta is a response to years of taking it in the shorts by neckbeards. "You guys" (maybe not you personally) treating people like shit and getting kicks from denying people pixels created this monster. Enjoy it. Just an opinion. Could be wrong , of course.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 08-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyborg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I trust an officially supported server more than a private one, quite frankly. Also, it's $15/month. When it comes to entertainment that hardly even counts as money.
this... also the main problem with the private vanilla wow servers is they dont last long enough for most casual players to ever fulfill said "itch" most of the time they get shut down by blizzard or fall apart from internal corruption of the server owners/gms etc, or a new one opens up and everybody jumps ship to the new server before the previous one had run is course... seen it over and over the past 10 years
Old 08-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesselring [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gratz server on free yelinak which im sure just died to AG or BG.
I think it went to AEGIS/Kittens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesselring [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel bad for the kittens and the people in Aegis that wanna stay casual and were promised open invites from riot to tov crawls but got snuffed once they riot realized they had to feed the pixels to their members to keep morale high.
There is no Raid attendance requirement for Riot, people can stay casual.
I doubt anything was "promised", although I'd guess Arcler is working on some ideas to continue good relations with Kittens and more.

This is still fairly new to Riot, so I'd give Riot a chance to get completely moved into the house before you start knocking and begging for a bed to sleep on.

Quote:
Aftermath has never closed recruitment in 2+ years and always kept the door open to the server to whoever really wanted to join if they could prove they would be a good raider
Good for them? What is the point here?

Quote:
riot has however closed recruitment once already in such a short span once they had 2 decent weeks back to back. Thats a good indication of whats to come with their future at any rate.
So wait, Riot gets accused of "Zerging" but also gets ridiculed for temporarily closing recruitment to get some things in order?

On a related note: I think the "Zerg" thing is funny considering Aftermath was bringing 100 to fight unrooted mobs solo at the ToV zone in. Riot is bringing 110 to rooted dragons+ 2 to 3 Guards.

Keep in mind the server is a pendulum. Power will always swing back the other way eventually.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjalx
The dragons were never rooted on live during this era. It was never designed that way. During Luclin and PoP we were still pulling the dragons around NTOV with farm crews. Some of them even came to the zone in during the Velious era (Eashan/Ikatar).
https://www.project1999.com/forums/a.../t-220561.html

This post pretty easily proves your quote wrong, or misleading atleast depending on how the sentence could be spun.
Ummm ... I have absolutely no dog in your fight with Hyjal, but you do realize that link proves the opposite of what you just said? It's full of statements to the effect that the dragons were not rooted until Luclin (and Luclin is not "during the P99 era").

Quote:
All of the posts on ZAM referring to the dragons being perma-rooted don't start showing up until after May of 2002. The Shadows of Luclin expansion launched on Dec 4th 2001.
Quote:
This is correct. Each dragon in NToV is on their own timeline. By 2003, many were still not perma-rooted.

http://monklybusiness43508.yuku.com/...n#.Vl5pWHarRhE
Quote:
This post below from 10-Dec-2001 (6 days after Luclin release) describes dragons being summoned by Vulak, which means they were not rooted.
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ll=1#post98750

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyborg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't say this is out of the question but I think they'll find some other way to make this happen. It wouldn't make much sense in my opinion to force current servers to new content. My guess is that they would spin up new realms or come up with another system to not harm existing servers.
They could go the Old School Runescape route and continue to add new unique content in the spirit of the original game. It sounds a bit odd but it was a really successful strategy for the Runescape team.