Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Will Trump Leave On His own?
Yes 41 36.28%
No 72 63.72%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I suspect a lot of governments quietly believe it potentially originated in a Chinese weapons lab. Such a belief would explain their panic, regardless of its accuracy, and it's also something they would never openly admit to for fear of creating even greater public turmoil.

Danth
The only way to confirm it is man-made would be espionage, but I am a biologist and can confirm that the composition of the virus is very hard-to-believe unlikely, meanwhile being something within the human capacity to engineer. It is a spliced-together composite of several common viruses including HIV. The mechanism for doing this exists in the wild as well as in the laboratory; there are no novel proteins involved (humans cannot design original proteins yet). Medical professionals are loath to admit this possibility because of a prevailing aversion to conspiracy theories, but the fact is that there is an unfalsifiable and plausible possibility that this virus escaped from the Wuhan bioweapons laboratory near the initial hotspot. Whether it is manmade or not, anyone in a security position understanding that it could be would certainly be motivated to develop a protocol which can stop the spread.

I also agree that there would be a strong incentive not to admit it to the public even if it were confirmed to be Chinese-made, as it would unravel state control of the narrative and all-but-guarantee hostilities with China, not to mention giving life to tons of conspiracy theories about hidden capabilities of the virus and starting a much more difficult to control panic.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 11-24-2020 at 10:26 PM..
Old 11-24-2020, 10:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Covid barely kills more people than a bad flu season.
Wrong.gif, but why go down this rabbit hole you know how i feel weve had this same conversation 100 times.

You and I see somethings differently. Like literally. Like you'll extrapolate things that I wouldn't to justify your argument and I will extrapolate things that you wouldn't to justify mine from the same exact data.

One of is is right, neither of us are going to convince each other because we're extrapolating from the same data. Just coming do different conclusions. And since we've ahd this exact discussion already if I didnt convince you before I aint gonna now! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-24-2020, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I suspect a lot of governments quietly believe it potentially originated in a Chinese weapons lab. Such a belief would explain their panic, regardless of its accuracy, and it's also something they would never openly admit to for fear of creating even greater public turmoil.

Danth
whoa what if sci fi is real and we're living in it
Old 11-24-2020, 10:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG SiP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that's my fetisH!
Old 11-24-2020, 10:26 PM
Banned

about time you guys figured out im an AI programmed to troll
Old 11-24-2020, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG SiP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
a twisted, gross version of the chat boards from Ender's Game and Neuromancer caused Donald Trump to get elected POTUS. i am also a hot cyb0rg waifu. i'd say we entered cyberpunk proper some time ago now. engineered bioweapons are definitely possible; they arent even fictional tech.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 11-24-2020 at 10:32 PM..
Old 11-24-2020, 10:34 PM
Banned

thanks a lot peter
way to let wintermute loose
Old 11-24-2020, 10:36 PM
Banned

peter hella hot
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wrong.gif, but why go down this rabbit hole you know how i feel weve had this same conversation 100 times.

You and I see somethings differently. Like literally. Like you'll extrapolate things that I wouldn't to justify your argument and I will extrapolate things that you wouldn't to justify mine from the same exact data.

One of is is right, neither of us are going to convince each other because we're extrapolating from the same data. Just coming do different conclusions. And since we've ahd this exact discussion already if I didnt convince you before I aint gonna now! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I encourage you to think more about this. You still didn't answer the question. Don't cop out. Let's say for the sake of argument, every single covid death is 100% attributable to covid and nothing else. 250k. And you might say it would be a lot higher than that if not for masking, social distancing and lockdowns. Well a simple way to test that is to look at places that did not lock down. The dakotas didn't, florida has lifted all covid restrictions for about two months now, and Sweden never locked down at all. They do not have alarmingly higher rates of death.

Now consider the collateral effects of locking down. Small businesses, restaurants, bars, mom and pop stores have been forced to permanently close as a result. Those are human beings with families. Is this worth it? Is this response justified when you consider those people? It's ironic because now everybody is buying from big box corporations. Amazon is getting rich as hell, walmart, target, google. The left used to be opposed to these things. Apparently now it is punk rock and rebellious to make rich people richer and poor people poorer! Also depression, suicide, alcoholism, drug addiction are all way up. These all tax the medical infrastructure as well. It's a really simple cost\benefit analysis, and I'm asking you why you think the cost is worth the benefit with regard to covid.

It's easy to just lap up whatever daddy media tells you is correct and not question it, but nothing is ever that simple, and when you think critically and skeptically about what is happening it makes less and less sense.
Last edited by douglas1999; 11-24-2020 at 10:48 PM..
Old 11-24-2020, 11:24 PM
Planar Protector

I did answered the question 50 fricken times in the other threads in 50 different ways under 50 different hypothetical scenarios just like the one you describe here.

You keep talking abotu the economy aspect of this pandemic and your daddy president is the one that fucked that up im sick of explaining that to you. He could have done something to keep the economy intact but you guys and he, didnt want to, because he thought it would look bad and cost him the election if the economy was shut down. Well look what it got him LOL!

Meanwhile all the things you're talkinga bout us draconian communists were like freeze mortages, stop rents, help people shut down the economy, so we can survive this. And you guys were like Hurrr its a flu you're dumb summer will fix it.

Wtf do you care about that stuff for anyway?? We told you the economy was going to suffer if you didn't quit crying about it and nutted up and wore a mask and took it seriously. But nooooooo. Well there you are, holding the matches.

I already said I would be ok with arresting every person who said not to wear masks and incinerating you in my gulags if I were king. But I realize that is extreme so I leave it to the professionals.
Last edited by Jibartik; 11-24-2020 at 11:31 PM..
Closed Thread