Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Sarnak

Default Monk / Bard duo

Hi all!

a friend and I duo constantly and we recently were trying to mix and match some of our dedicated duo toons to see if other combos would give us some more variety or more viability at higher levels. He has a 52 monk and I have a 51 bard we thought may be fun to mess around on.

I am curious of the various strats/tactics that pair could do and what people would recommend if they had tried this duo before.

Thanks all, any insight would be awesome! (hunting locations would be cool too!)

-Jinja
Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Fire Giant

Part of the reason the Monk / Shaman duo is one of the best is because of the regen / slow of the shaman while giving complimentary dps. The same thing would go for this duo, however when you slow/snare with your bard be prepared to steal aggro and take some hits.

It can be a good duo imo.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Depends where you are. If you have room, bard snare (aggro) and dot kite while monk DPS is ez pz.

At around ~55, I duo'd with a monk on my bard in velk's at one of the named spider camps. I had mostly Thurg armor at the time and could just tank mobs while monk beat on them.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Fire Giant

Snare/fear with added dots should be viable. Charm killing (mostly bard solo) with monk support on the frequent charm breaks might be viable (take one mob away while recharming).
Bards do have incredible dots at that level when playing drums. So you could snare/slow while applying 3 dots at the same time and monk just does more damage. What's nice about the dots is that it is consistent damage, unlike melee. You can easily get 130/tick, probably more.

If you fight casters you can just perma mez while fighting. Pisses the caster off of course, so you will tank.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:35 AM
Planar Protector

Bard and Monk could fear kite together reasonably well but it would be iffy and dangerous in the 50s. The problem with this duo is the Bard is going to get constant agro. The more viable way is for the bard to chain slow the mob and run away while doting and have the monk just attack from the back.

But this also limits you to outside zones basically - its a doable combo but not ideal IMO.

If you like the AIDS of running after mobs constantly then this will work well
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 11-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

With a bard and enough space if it doesn't summon you can kill it. Throw in a monk and it just speeds up. If you want to tank/spank stuff Grobb zoneline guards are good to like 54. Otherwise yea, anything outdoors is cake. Kite, fear, charm, mix it up, etc.

Maybe even trak's teeth for forager/hunter cycle. Pull to a wall and might get lucky with a iksar regen bp eventually.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:57 PM
Banned

you’d be surprised what a monk can do with an extra 38HP Regen, 32pt rune, DS every tic, not to mention the mob also being slowed
Old 11-24-2018, 04:50 AM
Planar Protector

Monk FD's while bard swarms around the sleeping monk
Old 11-24-2018, 11:40 AM
Banned

Aoe slow pulls a lot less aggro than single target if you do it right the bard will only be tanking when the monk FDa
Old 11-27-2018, 07:28 AM
Banned

If the monk has a fungi I don't see why the duo couldn't be played just like monk / shaman.

Let the monk do his / her thing, bard just assists with slow / regen / haste / mez / whateverthehellbardsdo.

Sure, not ever gonna be as good as the meta duo, but absolutely playable. Probably fine even w/o a fungi.
Closed Thread