Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

Like I said, you can play the class fine with macro. But you will never get the most out of it.

Macro delay is very easy to see. Just make a simple stop start macro and you can easily see the slight delay from song stop to start.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:30 AM
Fire Giant

I just tested this using double taps vs. macro and I actually had better success at landing 5 buffs simultaneously with the macros. That being said, there was no way I could actually sustain 5 buffs 100% of the time, even in attempts with no missed notes. Is it possible to sustain 5 songs without one rolling off, and I'm just doing it wrong? If so, how is it done?
Old 11-24-2018, 03:04 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reason why start stop macros are bad, is that there is a slight delay inherent in the macro between lines. When you manually do it, you can mitigate that. The timing seems miniscule, but its impossible to do a 5 song twist with macros, but possible (using server tick) for manual.

If you dont care and only want 3 or 4 song max, then yeah macro is fine. Its why I said to get the -most- out of the class.
To be fair, it's impossible to do a 5 song twist without macros. If you somehow never missed a note and had perfect latency and timings and worked around the player tick timer you'd still have buffs that can't be maintained 100% of the time.

This spreadsheet assumes you timed your first song to land 0.1 second after a tick occurs giving the song a 17.9 second duration. All of the songs will be played perfectly and you'll see that buffs still drop.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GRg...ew?usp=sharing
Last edited by Pindrought; 11-24-2018 at 03:06 AM..
Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just tested this using double taps vs. macro and I actually had better success at landing 5 buffs simultaneously with the macros. That being said, there was no way I could actually sustain 5 buffs 100% of the time, even in attempts with no missed notes. Is it possible to sustain 5 songs without one rolling off, and I'm just doing it wrong? If so, how is it done?
It’s impossible with server ticks, especially if you’re playing your bard to the max in a group (pulling, cc, Regen, etc) to keep a 5 song rotation going. You’ll be interrupted, song fails, and generally the group won’t require more than 1-2 rotations before you’re back out pulling again.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:01 AM
Fire Giant

Biggest tips I can give are to get really good at playing a bard in a group. You’re one of the best pullers in the game! Use lull, Mezz to stagger mobs INC, snare, etc all to your advantage. Is there a 2 mob pull? Don’t lull and single, pull both and charm 1 on INC. You can realistically keep 4-5 mobs mezzed at once as CC as well. Always try and keep Cantana rolling and play songs to the strength of your group. Melee heavy groups require a certain 4 song mix. Caster groups require a different 4 song mix. Is the group lacking dps? There’s a mix for that. Is the group a grinder and just need an efficient puller? There’s a mix for that.

Timing and situational awareness with the songs you have at your disposal will make or break you as a good bard. Learn these things and more and people will ALWAYS love having you around.
Last edited by Arkanjil; 11-24-2018 at 06:03 AM..
Old 11-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Aviak

I will say I also do not use macros on my bard, you get used to the double taps, it's not as brutal as everyone says it is. I play other competitive games and bard isn't even close to as hard as other games as far as key presses, including World of Warcraft if you PvP. Maybe people expect a calmer gaming experience on P99 cause its an old game I dunno

Something I will add is the tops for me was using my Singing Steel Helm right click effect Eye of Zomm to pull for the group meanwhile still twisting songs back at my character and tanking and mezzing.

You get used to timing it and knowing when to Eye pull so you are chain pulling without leaving and still filling another role like Tanking if your group doesn't have one, especially someplace like Karnor's Castle

Point being the skillcap can go pretty deep, or you can afk sing regen, choice is yours

As far as gear goes, besides weapons, get Stamina and Resist stuff when you can afford it, DoTs outperform weapons once you have a few in your later levels and are using instruments to boost them, unless you have your epic or high end weapons
[60 Arch Mage] Unholypower (Gnome)
[58 Beguiler] Kudavan (High Elf)
[57 Troubadour] Atreyu (Half Elf)

Red Server
Closed Thread