Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 09:18 AM
Aviak

Default Charming: Keeping pet and mob health equal?

I've been soloing as a chanter to level 51 and I am really just now finding this to be a problem.

In previous zones I could tell which mob was a higher level or a tougher mob and I'd charm the weaker mob and use slow to keep their HP dropping at the same rate to make finishing them off easier.

My problem is that in the zone I'm in now all the mobs have the same name, look the same, and con the same but could have something like a 5 level variance. I can never tell which mob is the stronger one so sometimes I charm the higher level mob and it destroys the mob I'm fighting. I can't use slow to keep them even.

I've tried spamming the sit button and this seems to work a tiny bit but I always end up having to nuke the crap out of my pet after finishing off the mob and I'm wasting mana doing it.

Does anyone have a strategy for keeping the mob's and pet's health even when my charmed pet is smashing the mob?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

If you want to live dangerously, just let one mob be higher than the other, but then take them into the next fight.

This typically happens when you have a mob of (say) level 55 and a mob of (say) level 51, and so typically as long as mob #3 is 51-53, your already-damaged level 55 mob will do just fine.

But if you run out of mana, or if mob #3 is also 55 ... well like I said, this strat is for living dangerously, and you need to always save some gate mana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you want to be more responsible, you need to use damage shields, DoTs, and nukes in the first fight as soon as you see your pet losing, and if your pet is winning you need spam back/sit (or change pets).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

P.S. And if you really want to live dangerously ... but get some amazing XP also ... the true best way to charm is to fight multiple mobs at once (while keeping them all rooted).

In that case, it doesn't matter how strong your charmed pet is, or what any mob's level is: multiple other mobs will destroy one mob quickly, and when they do you just break charm, finish your pet off, and charm the next.

Since you're not spending any mana on anything except root and charm, this can be super efficient in places like the Permafrost bear pits ... but obviously all it takes is a badly timed charm break and/or a few root breaks at once ... and then it's either WC cap out or die.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:02 AM
Fire Giant

What loramin said. Not to mention how impressive you look to people when your able to do pull off the last thing loramin said ha.
45 Dark Elf Wizard - Smurf PVP
41 Enchanter - Jeffery PVP
37 Iksar Monk - Buster PVP
26 Human Ranger - Kenny PVP
RED99
Old 03-26-2020, 11:51 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to live dangerously, just let one mob be higher than the other, but then take them into the next fight.

This typically happens when you have a mob of (say) level 55 and a mob of (say) level 51, and so typically as long as mob #3 is 51-53, your already-damaged level 55 mob will do just fine.

But if you run out of mana, or if mob #3 is also 55 ... well like I said, this strat is for living dangerously, and you need to always save some gate mana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you want to be more responsible, you need to use damage shields, DoTs, and nukes in the first fight as soon as you see your pet losing, and if your pet is winning you need spam back/sit (or change pets).
I've done this a few times and maybe this is just my simplest solution. It throws off my spawns when I break camp but it may not matter much if I'm able to just keep it going with whatever mobs I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P.S. And if you really want to live dangerously ... but get some amazing XP also ... the true best way to charm is to fight multiple mobs at once (while keeping them all rooted).

In that case, it doesn't matter how strong your charmed pet is, or what any mob's level is: multiple other mobs will destroy one mob quickly, and when they do you just break charm, finish your pet off, and charm the next.

Since you're not spending any mana on anything except root and charm, this can be super efficient in places like the Permafrost bear pits ... but obviously all it takes is a badly timed charm break and/or a few root breaks at once ... and then it's either WC cap out or die.
I learning to live dangerously lol, this is the strategy I've been using when a named pops (as they are up to 10 levels higher than the surrounding mobs). Things get wild but it's fun. With the regular mobs this may actually be the best option because I could clear the room faster, save mana, and I think I could do it relatively safely. Root has been holding pretty well with the regular mobs.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 AM
Aviak

Thanks for the responses by the way
Old 03-26-2020, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerdeDaWord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the responses by the way
NP. We have some hardcore Enchanter charmers here in the forum (/cough Tecmos /cough) so I'm sure you'll get some more good suggestions from them too.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

You don't have to finish off mobs in pairs. You can kill one (either one); then you can take the leftover one and ram it into another mob until it's nearly dead, then break charm and kill it; charm the leftover one... As long as mana permits! It's not pairs of mobs...it's a chain of mobs.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't have to finish off mobs in pairs. You can kill one (either one); then you can take the leftover one and ram it into another mob until it's nearly dead, then break charm and kill it; charm the leftover one... As long as mana permits! It's not pairs of mobs...it's a chain of mobs.
I think this may be my solution. Just start off like that then I don't have to worry about breaking the camp into pairs of spawns. I had been leaving the last two mobs alone b/c of mana but this would probably let me throw them in the rotation too.

Thanks for the help
Closed Thread