Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 12:56 PM
Skeleton

Interesting. So on old retail it wasn't even the slightest bit of the Verant staff deliberately waiting for more data or some other reason to add the selected Magician pets to vendors that we saw after launch. As soon as the players posted evidence of a broken situation, the staff gave it a 'next day' fix. And even more, it appears that it happened as a stealth fix so that they wouldn't lose face.

Hilarious. The decision making for this Green server just took the most entertaining of turns. I guess the real question now would be - since it was Classic for Verant to immediately fix a broken class situation with the pets on old retail, will it be a move to preserve that classic environment here on this Emu?
Old 11-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Kobold

Yep, its impressive the amount of work put in to making this a classic server.

No one ever said EQ was a perfect game. In fact, every expansion following the less than perfect release was unfinished in some way.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yall are playing mages on a busted timeline. When the problems were brought to light in the first link a few months after high level mages started using research, they were patched and fix immediately
That *is* the timeline. That's what happened. If you want to play a "classic" server that starts with the vision the devs were going for, that is not Green.

This is the equivalent of replaying an old console game.

I like the Final Fantasy Tactics series. I like Disgaea, etc.

I went back and played the original Final Fantasy Tactics on my PS2. The QoL improvements between FFT, FFTA, and FFTA2 are amazing. In the later two games you can undo a move (you cannot in FFT) - you know what classes are available to unlock later, whereas you have no idea in FFT that the class even exists until you unlock it. (FFTA2 has you unlock some via quests, but the slot for them is visible at game start, and you can always see which job can equip an item, even if you can't get that job yet).

You can't change equipment before a battle starts - once you start a battle, you pick your squad and that's it. No equipment changes, no seeing who you're fighting before you decide who you pick. The fog of war is brutal.

In later games, you see the entire battlefield, and what enemies you're fighting, and then you can completely reequip your toons as you see fit. Then the battle starts. Your out is basically to lose and reload a save or reset and reload or save - or trudge through with what you picked.

This is a read-only CD game, so there are no patches.

The initial adjustment back to the way of life of the old game is hard.

That's what Green is. You're playing the old game, warts and all, like we all did on live those first days. With vastly better computers and internet connections, 20 years of research and lore, and the game crashes a hell of a lot less. I'm playing FFT on a PS2, not the original PS hardware, so the load times are faster. and I have gamefaqs.

But it's still the old game.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That *is* the timeline. That's what happened. If you want to play a "classic" server that starts with the vision the devs were going for, that is not Green.
The problem with this statement is that it actually is Green sometimes. The staff have made multiple changes to what is in place on Green launch based on things that the devs were going for that were fixed/patched later in the timeline. There's many things that were changed later in the timeline that, as of Green launch, are in the state they were following the later change. And this is because the staff decided that the changes the devs made back in the day were to fix an exploit, fix terrible design/balance issues, or otherwise bring things in line with what the devs' real vision for EQ was and therefore they should be reflected on Green launch rather than patched later.

It's selectively classic. I don't really care that it's selectively classic, because it's a private server and the staff can do what they want, but people need to stop making the argument you're trying to make when there are multiple ways that the server is quite literally not fully accurate to the timeline/what classic EQ was at launch.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Aviak

What relevance does it have that SOE patched it right away? In this server that endeavors to recreate the timeline of patches it wouldn’t make sense to include some patches earlier than others.

I’ll ask again: if you don’t like how green works why not play on blue?
Old 11-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by port9001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What relevance does it have that SOE patched it right away? In this server that endeavors to recreate the timeline of patches it wouldn’t make sense to include some patches earlier than others.

I think the reason people cite that as evidence is because the staff has made other changes to Green launch rather than waiting to do it in accordance with the timeline because the EQ devs changed something quickly once they realized it was a bad design decision. Yet for other changes that were made later on when the EQ devs realized it was terrible design, those are still following the "classic timeline". People are just frustrated with the selectively classic decision-making I think.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, back to November 1999 at least:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt....Y/bb3GvXeOpl8J

I really wanna be proven wrong on this but none of you are helping.

Can you tell me when this 'Nerf' went in? That would help me track it down.
Where are the log files ShowEQ or otherwise backing this up ? Even Rodger is asking "Anyone care to confirm these results?" LOL that's your "Evidence" ?
Old 11-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Kobold

Yet, despite all the research over the past TEN years you decide that there are classic things, that weren't completely abused beyond recognition, that right now are not classic. Provide evidence stronger than has already been and it will be changed.

Besides /med which we all know was a thing
Old 11-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the reason people cite that as evidence is because the staff has made other changes to Green launch rather than waiting to do it in accordance with the timeline because the EQ devs changed something quickly once they realized it was a bad design decision. Yet for other changes that were made later on when the EQ devs realized it was terrible design, those are still following the "classic timeline". People are just frustrated with the selectively classic decision-making I think.
I agree that is frustrating. I don’t know why certain things don’t follow timeline while others do. At the same time I don’t feel like advocating for MORE things to be wrong makes any sense.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by port9001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Blue is 10years old.

No one plays green to relive bugs and exploits. Even if youd think it’s the case reading this forum.

People all wanted a Fresh start on a new server that will follow a reasonnable Time progression. Warriors, mages and all the class. The obsession of re-emulating bad mechanics, bugs, exploits is just crazy. At the same Time those hardcore trolls Ask for baby mechanics like the list system. So incoherent.
Closed Thread