Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-12-2022, 05:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Playing p99 with Repetitive stress injury

So mouse and keyboard are off the table for me, its just too painful and only gets worse the more i push it, (ive tried several mouse alternatives, none of them work). I would imagine lots of the aging population who play will have this problem eventually. Does anyone have a work around? Ive been trying unsuccessfully to get a controller to work. Is this the end for me? What if lots of people start having this issue? Tough luck? Does the cheat blocker work against xpadder? It doesnt seem to be working for me. This is my favorite game I really hope the devs or community have some options.

Thank you!
Old 05-12-2022, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Physical therapy for a year try again after
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-12-2022, 06:52 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Physical therapy for a year try again after
I don't have an issue with it unless I'm using keyboard and mouse, they simply are not ergonomic so that wouldn't help thanks tho
Old 05-12-2022, 07:31 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Go out for a 1000 mile walk. The upper 1/3 of the Appalachian Trail is pretty great and the right time of year is just around the corner. That'll help you break the addiction and walking is so very good for you.
I'm looking for ways to play the game not not play the game, I've spent plenty of time outside, i don't have an addiction i just want to play my favorite game, if you have a suggestion that involves playing without a mouse I'm all ears
Old 05-12-2022, 07:52 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope. If it hurts to play, then you probably shouldn't play.
Yea I'm gonna keep searching for solutions. that doesn't seem reasonable, a whole generation of gamers is going to have this problem soon so just telling them not to play anymore won't work. Could we please stick to solutions please
Old 05-12-2022, 10:11 PM
Planar Protector

Sry I thought with some rest and gradual exercise ye could improve. If it’s a chronic issue I’m not sure about how to bind EQ controls to a controller.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-13-2022, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This.

I have serious RSI/tendinitis issues, not just as an EQ gamer but also as a programmer. For me using a mouse/keyboard isn't just necessary to game, it's necessary to pay the bills.

But if you're hurting when you try to use them, it means you've injured your body. You can prevent future injury by having proper ergonomics (go buy a good office chair, adjust it properly, buy a keyboard tray, adjust it properly, consider buying an adjustable desk, etc.). You can also help your current injury by icing it and wearing wrist/arm braces to help support it.

All of those are things you can/should do to help you play EQ without injury ... but first you need to take a break for a bit, just to let your injury heal some.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. You can play EQ with a Steam controller (it has enough buttons and you can bind them to any keyboard key); I've done it. The only tricky part is that (at least on Linux) you have to start the Steam software before running EQ, otherwise it won't work.

But even if you switch, if you don't address your underlying ergonomics problems, you're just going to have new arm/wrist pain within weeks.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sry I thought with some rest and gradual exercise ye could improve. If it’s a chronic issue I’m not sure about how to bind EQ controls to a controller.
Guys...OP didn't say he's fat and out of shape, nor that he's gaming too much. OP said he has "repetitive stress injury." His wrists and hands are fucked, presumably from some condition or past injury. You can't solve that with diet and exercise.

The OP asks what hardware and software exists that can enable someone to play P99 without pain. If you don't know, just don't post.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Good luck OP. Game is designed around mouse clicks. So one joystick could be your mouse, one is your forward back strafe left strife right

And figure out a way to macro enough stuff to get by in the game, and a screen angle changer button. It's a lot of buttons even if you get the third party software working
Lost but not forgotten.