Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-14-2022, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having a body part hurt is no excuse to cheat the game. And I say that as someone who is literally using my left hand to move my mouse right now, because I injured my right arm so badly with bad ergonomics recently.

I would LOVE to cheat at EQ and automate everything, and someday if I'm super bored I might do so on one of this six-boxing servers where everyone automates everything. But that is very much NOT P99, and if anyone tries to cheat here, regardless of their personal injuries, I hope the staff bans them.
Yah. I don't agree with this.

If someone loves EQ and HONESTLY has to give it up due to a physical ailment that is just super sad. All because it is unfair to do what 90% of the server is already doing...without being injured.

I hope the ones breaking the rule who are just lazy get banned...not the aging person with crippling arthritis.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Ghost maps with loc markers and direction locators, this guy specifciallly spends records amouont of time contributing to a website with every mob in the game's map and directly links it to ruin the mystery every day and some old veteran cant use automated software to enjoy his youth gettouta town.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yah. I don't agree with this.

If someone loves EQ and HONESTLY has to give it up due to a physical ailment that is just super sad. All because it is unfair to do what 90% of the server is already doing...without being injured.

I hope the ones breaking the rule who are just lazy get banned...not the aging person with crippling arthritis.
No one has to give EQ up because of they can't program their keyboard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If your arthritis is really that bad, programmable keyboards won't help! You still have to press keys frequently on them. But, the vast majority of players with injury issues can take other measures (proper ergonomics, a more forgiving mouse, maybe a gamepad or standing desk, etc.) and play just fine ... without cheating.

And again, I say this as the guy with such bad RSI issues that I literally can't use my right arm to control my mouse right now (without further injuring it).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-14-2022 at 01:50 PM..
Old 05-14-2022, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

I cannot craft in everquest full stop.

Quote:
If your arthritis is really that bad, programmable keyboards won't help
Yes they do they definitly do that's like saying if you have arthritis nothing will help there are all kinds of ways you can help mitigate the hellish life arthritis causes.

You can play games and do anything with arthritis you just should definitely NOT do things like crafting in them or avoid RS in general and taking drugs to dull the ache.

Using cheats is one thing but being realistic that if your server is 10 years old, of a 20 year game, that everyone here is going to need automation eventually to continue to play here.

The best argument I would say you could have agianst that is that you think the youth should be the workers of the kingdom and us old folks should just hire them to make stuff for us.
Last edited by Jibartik; 05-14-2022 at 02:26 PM..
Old 05-17-2022, 08:54 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobot02 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So mouse and keyboard are off the table for me, its just too painful and only gets worse the more i push it, (ive tried several mouse alternatives, none of them work). I would imagine lots of the aging population who play will have this problem eventually. Does anyone have a work around? Ive been trying unsuccessfully to get a controller to work. Is this the end for me? What if lots of people start having this issue? Tough luck? Does the cheat blocker work against xpadder? It doesnt seem to be working for me. This is my favorite game I really hope the devs or community have some options.

Thank you!
Check this thread out. Someone using an Xbox controller to play who has similar issues with carpal tunnel, etc. Might be helpful.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=135778
Old 07-18-2022, 06:24 PM
Fire Giant

As a gamer in the 50s having spent decades sitting in front of a computer for work, research and still doing it today, one of the many things that saved my life and joints is first having switched to a vertical mouse ...

That alone saved me from the carpal pain.

Second I play from a Lazy boy recliner.

Keyboard and mouse are wireless as well. This helps with the issues of wires which is another anxiety ridden mess.

I also switched from a regular monitor to a huge one (thanks Shawk for your wonderful HUGE Velious UI) to help with the eyestrain.

In a sense I work from a recliner that also has a rolled up towel to give extra neck support.

I know some good chiropractor guys from YT that help with a lot of at home work routines for arms, hands, neck and back as well, from them I began using the small rolled up towel on the recliner and it really improved my life.

Also for the eyes, you need them wet , so use daily every few hours some simple, off the counter eye relief drops that usually moisturize them as you get older, they tend to become dry.

I also have an hydration cycle that keeps me going to the bathroom every couple hours, forcing me to stand up, move around and do a small body warmup exercise to keep the blood flowin plus a daily routine of 20 to 30 minutes of pushups (using only arms if I am too tired, sometimes full body on the days when I am full of energy) usually 1 to 2 hours later when I wake up.

These little things help me keep the rhythm in front of the puter, not only EQ.

They alone are very little, but they do add up when you begin to incorporate them on your routine.

Also walking even in your home or on a machine helps much.

Right now I am replacing my old threadmill of 10 years with a new one, they cost around 500 to 600$ and can be bought refurbished or fully new in small payments. 1 hour daily just walking, nothing fancy, just a walk as I watch netflix or hear music, but if you cant afford one for your home, you can always walk around a bit. Start with 10 min walks to the corner of a near street for example, then come back. My average is about 40 to 50 mins every few days.

Since due to work I am not able to go outside much, I chose the threadmill, but walking per se is free and you can walk around your house block (yes it sux, but you have to get out of the mindset its boring or people will stare at you , or you feel uncomfortable , etc,)

Little things but they all add up considerably, specially when you set your potato body on a sitting position for hours which just to be honest, is super damaging for your body so you have to counteract it somehow.

Self care is important, because trust me, no one else will do it for you and no medicine or expensive surgery will help you if you dont help yourself.

Again, I know some of these things might not be feasible for some due to previous injuries, age or money, but just an idea of what I do to keep being somewhat healthy or staving off further injuries as I play and do everything daily , which involves being in front of a computer for HOURS daily.

A big hug to everybody and hope everyone here can find a solution to keep playing and escaping the harsh reality of life for bursts in this wonderful game or the internet in general.

I know personally a co worker that has one of those fancy keyboards that looks like a hand and he does everything from it to the side as he rests the arms on a side table next to his chair so all he does is move his fingers so I know solutions out there exist, just have to keep digging.

His keyboard looks like this:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There are also some other options like these keyboards as well that are specially for people with disabilities:

And lastly if finger moving is the problem, these help as well:

If Hands in general are the issue, there are feet keyboards as well:

For mice I found this, which is an option too, the Yarko mouse:

Also for regular disability mice there are the classic old good reliable track ones:

Hope this helps man.

Be well!
----------------------------------
[center]
Last edited by Vormotus; 07-18-2022 at 06:43 PM..
Old 07-18-2022, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

i bought one of those MMO mice to play MMOs and using my thumb to cast spells I think caused permanent damage.

be careful out there (inside)
Old 07-18-2022, 10:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i bought one of those MMO mice to play MMOs and using my thumb to cast spells I think caused permanent damage.

be careful out there (inside)
I believe you because regular mice , on the horizontal plane are totally anti-ergonomic.

The constant pressure of the thumb while your hand is in the unnatural position of a normal mouse only exacerbates the damage further.

I switched to vertical mice about 5 years ago and I no longer suffer from chronic wrist pains as before.

Though this image is for the evoluent one, which is one of the most expensive, most companies, even Logitech have their own select line of vertical mice.

And they truly truly make a difference.

Anyone using normal mice for long sessions at the computer is only asking for more and more damage in the future to their arm/wrist joints.

You have to remember, and ask any physician that specializes in joints, that the most normal and relaxed position for your hand is the "shake hands with another" position. The vertical mouse does this as you can see.

Again, though, I know some people due to body/arm/composition or plain stubornness dont like them, but they are usually young people or people that work in a certain way have trouble relearning.

Like I always say, buy 2 or 3 cheap vertical mice and see how they handle.

Due to my work I usually consume a mouse about every year, year and a half, same with keyboards, so I am switching constantly and have found that vertical mice are now cheap enough and come in so many varieties that you can afford to buy a few of them to try.

I buy cheap 20 buck ones off amazon and gladly pay premium to have them delivered to where I live as most computer stores dont even know they exist.

But am always selling the idea to other people and the few that have bothered to listen cant live without them anymore.

Again, your mileage may vary but they have been amazing for me, specially after I had to have a wrist strap for a while and it was driving me crazy until someone told me about them.
----------------------------------
[center]
Last edited by Vormotus; 07-18-2022 at 10:56 PM..
Old 07-20-2022, 07:51 AM
Kobold

Just hook up a DDR mat.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:47 PM
Fire Giant

It's time to put P99 on the Oculus Quest 2... I'm ready to turn my own home into Norrath.. Chop chop smart people, make this happen please.