Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Orc

Default Solo Classes... Chanter without Charm?

I always played a necro in classic. I liked to play a lone wolf with the option to group up when I had the time or inclination, to have the option to play around with soloing difficult and challenging mobs in dungeons or pair up with another necro just to see what we would kill, fun stuff like trying to solo the guy for dead men floating in Chardok, breaking and camping Lord Efreeti, duoing planar trash, risky and thrilling experimentation in general.

I'd really like to wait to start an Iksar Necro this time around and try out another class until the server progresses.

Bottom line is I'm looking for something with similar soloability/challenge but which can be powerful if played well and has tricks like a necro.

After reviewing a number of threads I was all set to make an Enchanter. I like the idea of all the utility and illusion spells, the ability to go to any city and not be KoS (possibly opening up guard killing options without worrying about KOS?), the potential power and soloability, and the group role, but then I've read on these boards that charm has either been nerfed or is bugged. Charm was the one thing I remember that made me think I might want to roll an enchanter way back when.

So what is the solo viability of Enchanters on the p1999 server at this time? Is charm working as it did in classic? Can Enchanters still solo cool stuff without charm? I don't mind getting torn up every now and then, but if I break a camp I'd like to have a reasonable chance to hold it assuming I learn to play the class.

I'm hesitant to go with a mage because it seems like it would be very very similar to the necro without the utility (feign, health to mana) and cool evilness, and I hear mages get gimped in Kunark.

A druid seems like it would be fun to level and travel with but unable to venture deep into dungeons or solo crazy tough mobs at high levels... and also very common on the server. Tracking does sound interesting though.

Shammies might be too melee based for me... maybe I'm wrong. I definately don't want to play a melee class unless he can spank tough mobs like a necro.

So any input on a solo class other than a necro but almost as fun to play alone? Is enchanter the way to go here?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Enchanter is really a group inclined class. xp'ing with charm is tricky and needs certain parameters (sow/jboots for safety, close to zoneline).
Back in the days I stop soloing after the first few levels, and never turned back to solo, as it was less efficient and above all less fun
Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Aviak

I think alot of the enchanters solo skill relies on charm, and on p1999, it is a bit off from live. I dont think the spell is worth using unless you have over 200cha, is what ive heard, someone might want to clarify.

However, as a solo option, shaman is somehwat similar to necros. They can solo some stuff even a necro cant, due to being able to take a couple hits from summoning mobs. They have amazing utility, and canni + regen means you are very mana efficient. Shamans dont really melee past 20 or so, unless they get bored :P
Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeval31 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanter is really a group inclined class. xp'ing with charm is tricky and needs certain parameters (sow/jboots for safety, close to zoneline).
Back in the days I stop soloing after the first few levels, and never turned back to solo, as it was less efficient and above all less fun
Indeed, but you can 'rune' yourself too.

One of the most effective 'tools' I found when charm soloing was to keep the mob you are fighting rooted as much as possible. If your charmed mob gets loose - mez it ASAP. That gives you more time to re-tash or whatever, then re-charm. If root held on your target, then you only have one mob to deal with - not 2.

Sometimes you can just charm without the mez, etc...

You can always mes the rooted thing you were fighting too. A short-timed low level mez is good for that.

If I recall, after you mez, you can re-charm all you want. If the charm won't hold longer than the mez - well, you needed to re-cast it anyway [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Otherwise, it's usually cake for an enchanter to find a group. Or you can use your normal 'pet' - just take out lots of blues.. I did that a lot, just tash, let the pet get some agro and always be ready to summon another pet. For all the weaknesses the enchanter pets are, they were easy enough to re-cast.
Last edited by Overcast; 07-06-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Orc

Hmmm... I think I'll bite the bullet and try out the chanter, I really like caster classes.

Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmmm... I think I'll bite the bullet and try out the chanter, I really like caster classes.

Thanks for the quick replies!
You didn't happen to play a Troll on Vallon-Zek - WAY back, did you? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Fire Giant

How to solo Dorn's camp:

199 cha, get to the level where Dorn consistently cons yellow (13 or 14)

Lull the 2 dervs in the camp.
Whirl, Tash, Charm.

Sick it on the rightmost derv, if its the fat ogre that heals. Otherwise the middle one which is a caster.
Sit behind los on the hill after you root the target you're killing and drop a dot on it.
If charm breaks, only Dorn should be running. Whirl and charm and resume.
Pray charm doesn't break on the wizard derv, because if it does its not pretty.
By the time the last mob in the camp is dead, Dorn should be close to expiring.
Release him, kill him, med up for respawns.
Repops should be about long enough to be at FM again.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Fire Giant

My understanding is charm is underpowered (breaks very quickly) at low levels and overpowered (rarely breaks early) at high levels.

Also, CHA appears to have a much greater impact (at least at high levels) than it did in classic.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Aviak

Giving you a heads up.

I'm in same boat as you, played a necro on live and wanted to try chanter this time around. Well naturally as a necro you love soloing, chanter can't do that past 12 imo, least not effectively, so your left grouping.

Oh boy... grouping... I had several oasis groups and every idiot and their mother must play there because every time we got a 2+ pull and I would mez the add, some stupid necro or druid would dot the damn thing, causing me to get agro.... After countless deaths from others stupidity, I just rerolled a diff class. GL to you.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You didn't happen to play a Troll on Vallon-Zek - WAY back, did you? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope I had a necro names Drakul on either Quellious or Tholuxe Paells I forget which... was in a guild called Knights of the Shadowed Blade if I recall correctly
Closed Thread