Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 10-13-2022, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He asked is the suffering = 1 billy = $1 billion

Man, my memory of my jury duty is really getting hazy because it was more than 10 years ago now, but I was on a civil case where the intangible cost of “pain and suffering” came up

If I recall, there is a way lawyers can try to use to quantify it. They take the loss of income from not being able to function at one’s job for a period of time due to like psychological distress, any mental health treatments they may have gotten as a result, basically they look for a base value that they can somehow quantify with a number

Then they multiply that base value by another quotient. I don’t remember what that other quotient was

So in the civil case I was in it was something like [missed_work] + [physical_therapy_cost] * x = pain and suffering (this was for a car accident)

But it’s not that lawyers are pulling a number out of their ass, they do make attempts to try to quantify it

Most likely this number got so large because it was multiplied by the number of families affected
Yeah the multiplier was like 500 million plus, I didn't see all of it or the math but I gathered from the reporting that there was some kind of equation or something that they used per dead child multiplied by time
Old 10-13-2022, 11:56 AM
Banned

Yeah families affected * time is gonna get into some big numbers

In my civil case (was this one civil?) the jury still had to agree on the number. I was a jury member who spun the number way down on my case because we all had to the impression the guy was abusing the legal system

He had already gotten paid (well) for the accident, then like 10 years later re-sued for MORE money. The entire thing seemed pretty sketchy, we all agreed. We gave him probably not even enough to cover his legal costs

Edit: we also found out via the other lawyer the guy wasn’t even attending the physical therapy sessions
Old 10-13-2022, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

This is all theater. AJ is controlled opposition imho. This is either to set the precedent on what they will do to people who call out the status quo or its an attempt to incite civil war. Either way something about the whole thing feels fake/forced/phony.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 10-13-2022, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Alex Jones is a pariah and the only people who back him have zero power.
You say this like the money he made off of exploiting those dead kids just appeared in his bank account out of nowhere

Even without his multiple wealthy backers, he's got his hordes of hateful fans that will fund him and his hatred
Old 10-13-2022, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is all theater. AJ is controlled opposition imho. This is either to set the precedent on what they will do to people who call out the status quo or its an attempt to incite civil war. Either way something about the whole thing feels fake/forced/phony.
The ruling was absolutely politically motivated and done to send a message.

That's without a doubt.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You say this like the money he made off of exploiting those dead kids just appeared in his bank account out of nowhere

Even without his multiple wealthy backers, he's got his hordes of hateful fans that will fund him and his hatred
The guy sells merch and supplements to people who are afraid of tap water.

He also has had a popular show for like 2 decades now.

He's capable of making his own money.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The guy sells merch and supplements to people who are afraid of tap water.

He also has had a popular show for like 2 decades now.

He's capable of making his own money.
Yeah, exactly

$965 million is nothing, he'll recover and continue to spread his filth and rubes will eat it up, this is America
Old 10-13-2022, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, exactly

$965 million is nothing, he'll recover and continue to spread his filth and rubes will eat it up, this is America
No such thing as robbery under capitalism. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

He can just think of it as an unplanned donation.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, exactly

Yep, a billion dollars is nothing.

Especially considering the fact that his entire net worth (assets and all) is around 100 million.

A billion dollars is nothing.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:10 PM
Banned

Imagine feeling pity for Alex Jones of all people lol