Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 04-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Large Bat

Default Divine Purpose causes mana total to fail to properly update after going oom.

Had a bit of trouble getting this to reproduce, but I have it down to 100% repro at the moment.

Bug: If the mana drain from Divine Purpose takes you to 0 mana while standing, sitting and meditating does not return mana or properly update your mana pool until after you take off or cancel the Divine Purpose buff.

Repro steps:
1. On a Paladin that has access to the Divine Purpose spell (lv. 39), cast Divine Purpose.
2. Get yourself relatively low on mana (20 mana or so) by casting miscellaneous spells. Alternatively, just stand and let Divine Purpose drain your mana until you are sufficiently low on mana.
3. Wait until the Divine Purpose mana drain effect takes you close to or at 0 mana.
4. Note how your total mana then seems to fluctuate between 2/4 mana total, and mana drain does not continue.
5. At this point, sit and meditate for some time.
6. Note how your mana does not increase despite sitting and meditating.
7. After a few minutes, stand up and attempt to cast spells.
8. Note how you are given the Insufficient Mana message.
9. Cancel the Divine Purpose buff.
10. Wait for the next tick.

RESULT:
1. The correct mana total is only updated after the Divine Purpose buff is cancelled. The next tick will update your mana back to the appropriate total. However, the total is also incorrect, as it seems that the mana drain from Divine Purpose has taken you into negative mana and whatever you gained back from meditating has to first zero out before going positive.

Lots of stuff going on here, I'd be happy to provide more information and video to show you the bug in action if necessary.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Good post! Steps seem very clear to reproduce. I did do some quick searching and did not see any evidence to suggest you cannot gain back mana while this drain is occurring.

I did find out of era posts from 2003/2004 saying how medding and other mana gaining buffs help when using divine purpose:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/s...tml?spell=1453

Quote:
Jun 06 2003
This spell is nice. Use it while medding for a slow regen or run it all the time when C3'ed (never let them see ya bleed!).
Quote:
Jan 14 2004
I have the regen I aug from the BB camp in and i use this, the regen is very nice, esp with C3
I also saw this regen should stack with druid/shaman regen line, does it currently?

I did some patch notes search and didn't see any mention of fixes to Divine Purpose or bugs for some kind of negative mana deficit. So thinking that is a P99 bug.

My guess is there is maybe something in the stacking code that prevents mana regen while having a mana drain active? Not sure what other classes have that to test.

On a side note, it seems sad that this spell was changed from its original purpose... it was originally designed to allow a paladin to trade BASE mana for BASE hit points while the buff was active. So this would allow them to gain a very large HP base to tank end game content better, so STA + WIS along with +HP and +Mana items would have all helped them while tanking.

Probably not as effective as defensive discipline, but sounded pretty cool.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Sarnak

I believe the same issue occurs with the Shaman spell "Voice of the Berserker" - it is not listed as having the mana drain currently, but historically did.

On P99 current it does drain mana - and seems to negate all possible mana regen via buffs/sitting, as well as causing a drain and odd behavior at low mana levels.

Unfortunately in its current format it is relatively unusable.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Sarnak

It does stack with other regen
Old 04-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Large Bat

Hey Rygar,

Let me add some notes.

Quote:
I did do some quick searching and did not see any evidence to suggest you cannot gain back mana while this drain is occurring.
The interesting thing is that I can regen mana (by meditating or Clarity) with Divine Purpose on, as long as Divine Purpose doesn't get me to 0 mana through its drain effect first.

That means that if I start meditating with the buff on at, say, 50% mana, I correctly regain mana from meditating.

It's only when Divine Purpose mana drain gets you to the weird 0 mana state that it stops gaining mana through any means.

Lastly, I had the recollection earlier today that Divine Purpose was supposed to cancel itself if you ran oom. I was able to confirm that if you cast a spell that gets you to exactly 0 mana, the Divine Purpose buff fades. However, the mana drain effect never properly gets you to exactly 0, even if you start from an even integer. I think the bug may be related to that.

Quote:
I also saw this regen should stack with druid/shaman regen line, does it currently?
It does, thankfully!

I'll be making a small video for this because it's kinda wild to see.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:37 PM
Sarnak

Sorry for the bump, but I can confirm that this bug is still in-game.
I noticed, when removing Divine Purpose, my mana visually jumped from 0% to 55%. Since it can easily be reproduced, I wonder why this bug remains unsolved.