Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 06:49 AM
Planar Protector

Default Evidence that bind wound shouldn't be possible while being attacked

This thread is for evidence I've found that you could not Bind Wound while in combat (this is different from *someone else* binding you while *you* are in combat, which I have seen evidence for).

Quote:
Bind wound is the most useless skill in the game. To use bind wound I have to be in a spot were there is nothing to attack me. That IS NOT A HELP.
http://web.archive.org/web/199910231...71636555.shtml

Quote:
cant bind wound in a fight but atleast rest of the group dont
have to keep wasting mana and waiting for me to tick 1 or 2hp at a slow rate
http://web.archive.org/web/200207070...&pg=1&sortby=4

I am unsure of the exact mechanism of failure, though a high susceptibility to mob push would make sense ("You have moved and your attempt to bandage has failed").

Why? Because of this post. Having DA up meant you were immune to mob push, so it would make sense that your attempt succeeded:

Quote:
What i do with GH is use it in conjunction with Divine Aura. First cast GH on your tank. Then let all the mobs agro onto you. When you reach about 60% health, start casting Divine Aura, and by the time you are at about 30-40% health Divine Aura should cast by then. During the invincibler period the mobs will often times try to still attack you, but it doesn't matter so begin to Bind Wound which should be at about 120-130 by the time you have GH, so with the 18 sec invulnerability you can Bind about 2 times adding 60 hp, and by then the tank would have sufficient time to taunt the other mobs off you. Works for me at least
http://web.archive.org/web/200107140...+Healing&type=

Though it could have also been triggered by mob bashes etc. Can't rule that out.

Lastly, I am aware that absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, but the fact that being able to bind wound while swinging melee weapons isn't talked about *anywhere* in-era that I have seen leads me to believe that being able to bind wounds while being hit/attacking is a dubious feature on P99.
Last edited by Dolalin; 09-20-2019 at 06:54 AM..
Old 09-20-2019, 07:29 AM
Planar Protector

Another +1 for Bind Wound being very easy to interrupt by being moved around:

Quote:
I noticed a problem with Bind Wound getting interrupted while levitating, only since Luclin. Several times I have been stationary, binding someone when I get the message "you have moved and interrupted your bandaging." At first I thought it was because the BW button refreashes before your character finishes the bending down animation, so after that I always waited until I "stood up" to try BW again. I still noticed BW getting interrupted, though. After I clicked levitation off the interrupts stopped. This happened on a flat surface.
http://web.archive.org/web/200207191...02387&go=newer
Last edited by Dolalin; 09-20-2019 at 07:42 AM..
Old 09-20-2019, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

Here is a thread from MonklyBusiness (2001-2002) where people are discussing BW macros but nobody has suggested to do it while in combat.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monk...ound-t772.html
Old 09-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Planar Protector

Newsgroup post from 29/08/99:

Quote:
I'd actually like to see EVERYBODY have more powerful bind wounds across the
board. I'd like to see you heal all the way up using bind wound. I'd like
to see heal potions. These would be great money sinks in the economy, and
would make many classes viable solo opportunities. And, the game would be
more FUN! Since this can't be used during combat, it isn't a viable
survival tool, it just lowers the downtime.
I like the thought of this,
although we all know that lowered downtime would mean increased
competition...but I'd still like to see it, I can live with the competition.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt....4/8NPPpeasllYJ

Newsgroup post from 24/05/01:

Quote:
Please note that at this time in your young life you can only bandage to 50%
of your health. Later on in life you will be able to bandage yourself up to
75% but I'm not sure when that happens. It sure comes in handy when you've
got 10 hp and no healers. You have to be still when you do it and if you
take one step when you're bandaging yourself or your target (BTW - you must
target yourself to bandage yourself) your attempt will be halted
and you'll
lose the bandage (I think.. haven't verified that yet but sounds plausible
=D).
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt....8/e2AiPv4XCYAJ

Another post about an interruption in Luclin era, but would point to Bind Wound being at least as sensitive to movement as spellcasting for getting interrupted (I still see lots of people complaining about interrupts on spells when they suddenly stop running and cast):

Quote:
"Jeff George" <jeffgeorge666@DAMNSPAMmsn.com> wrote in message
news:3C51BC37.7922195C@DAMNSPAMmsn.com...

> sanjian wrote:
> >
> >
> > You can move and have the bandaging fail, even if you don't move.
> >
> > --
> > --
>
> How can you move even if you don't move?
> --
>
Its a Bug. With my Beastlord, who has a Embalmers Knife, I'll stop count to
three and press bind wounds. 10% of the time it will tell me that Bindwounds
failed because I moved. I'd be pissed if i paid money for bandages.;-)
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt....g/x0Yeu5KxYl0J
Last edited by Dolalin; 09-20-2019 at 09:48 AM..
Old 09-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Raster of Guk camp guide from 2001 where he discusses needing to be out of melee in order to bind himself:

Quote:
Dec 00: I went to Guk at 44th, and armed with 2 Wu's, 100hp of gear, no haste, and an AC of 814, and could not hold the Mino room. Some Mino's are harder than Snarlers, and con from xp green to blue. When I first fought the Mino in the Elder room, (because I fell down the pit) I took him down even with another beating on me at the same time. At 80 percent of hits (bind and mend) I could easily take SOME of the mino's, and in some cases two at once with those hits, but sometimes one mino on his own would hammer me with the same 80 percent health.

It is sometimes hard to get far enough away, or remove aggro to bandage yourself, and in some cases I wasted many minutes waiting for mend to pop back again to use in case they did come back and hit me while I was binding myself.

To recap, in the respawn time, I could not clear the room, as some are tougher than I with 80 percent health. My findings are not conclusive, as I spent only an hour there, but I got all of them apart from the Raster PH before they started to respawn.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...trip=1&vwsrc=0

Perhaps even one hit was enough to interrupt?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

I have distinct memory from back on Live in the Kunark era dueling a monk that was talking shit about rangers where I opened the duel by spamming my 5 Firestrike charges on him from Raincaller to make him shit his pants (because I am a little bitch who never accepts a duel unless I have a dirty trick up my sleeve to win lol), and then I landed a DoT to finish him off. He was frantically trying to Bind Wound to save himself from dying to the DoT and I kept interrupting him with single kicks until he keeled over.

I'm not sure if that helps since I have no logs or video or screenshots of this. This post just reminded me of that and made me chuckle. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

I'm willing to take a bind wound nerf off the back of that anecdote.

Monks have it coming.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

Strong evidence in this thread. Sounding like Bind Wound should have the same channeling check that using a clickable item on a Melee class has. IE any successful hit is a guaranteed interrupt.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

Getting your research praised by Daldaen is a bit like having Arnie stop by your local gym and praise your squat technique.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

It sounds like people didnt know it was possible (as it’s a bit tricky to figure out exactly how) not that it was actually impossible. Weak “evidence”
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Last edited by aaezil; 09-20-2019 at 12:09 PM..
Closed Thread