Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 02-12-2023, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Default Let's talk about Cazel (classic accuracy)

Cazel has never quite felt right to me on P99.

As a frequent alt roller in my youth I spent a lot of time in the Oasis of Marr. It was my favorite leveling zone back in the day. When I outleveled Oasis I'd usually make a new character since I didn't really know where to go next.

I never remember Cazel being nearly as dangerous as he is on P99.

My memory is that you would never really see Cazel unless you either actively went looking for him, or he was being trained around.

I remember Cazel mostly hanging out west / northwest of the docks, which is the one part of the zone where people normally don't camp / hunt mobs.

On P99 Cazel will frequently path right over the docks, and I just don't remember this ever happening on live. The docks are also just more dangerous than I remember in general (there's a zombie that wanders right up to the docks on P99 that I don't remember from live either).

I'm not bug reporting this because I'm going purely from memory and I have no evidence. I was just wondering if anyone else agrees that the spawns and pathing are a bit off in Oasis.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:21 AM
Banned

I also don't remember cazel pathing right along the docks like that, but like you I'm just going by memory.

I think in general, the locations\pathing of wandering mobs in outdoor zones on p99 was largely just kind of decided from scratch by the devs, because there was likely not specific information available from the original game about those type of spawns. Dungeons are easier to find info on exactly where the spawns should be, especially static spawns that don't roam. But with outdoor roamers I doubt that data was ever documented anywhere from the original game back in 1999.

Like I definitely don't remember there being a hill giant spawn in east karana that always spawns an HG in the same spot every time. I remember there being occasional HG's in east karana, but much more randomized.
Last edited by Ooloo; 02-12-2023 at 11:24 AM..
Old 02-12-2023, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

Didn't they deep dive EQ Mac before it got shut down for infos? (granted it was PoP era and things might have been changed in classic zones by then)
Old 03-07-2023, 01:38 AM
Aviak

I also hung around Oasis alot in classic, and never saw him path within aggro range of the docks.

He wandered around the dunes in this area:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-07-2023, 01:50 AM
Planar Protector

If you've got evidence using old sites (Wayback machine/archive.org) and comments and can submit it they might adjust him.

Similarly I don't remember Cazel killing people at the dock, and actually don't really remember seeing him that often at all. Yet on P99 he always around.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't they deep dive EQ Mac before it got shut down for infos? (granted it was PoP era and things might have been changed in classic zones by then)
I think we vastly overestimate the competency of any mac data gathering. It simply did not happen, as evidenced by some of the really weird pathers on Al Kabor, and some of their stranger mechanics specifically hate and proc related. But they didn't recreate the beneficial hate on instaclicks either.

An incredible resource and almost a perfect server. We destroyed it with p99 toxicity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-07-2023, 05:03 AM
Planar Protector

If P99 shuts down you know where a lot of people are going lol
Old 03-07-2023, 12:22 PM
Sarnak

It has to do with devs hating noobs.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:18 PM
Fire Giant

Meanwhile, I remember Lockjaw being an absolute menace back in the day, and I've almost never seen him here.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:26 PM
Banned

He's sharing a spawn with a sand giant, who also paths directly down to the dock, stands there for a while and then wanders back out. I remember on live it was a major fauxpa to train an SG anywhere near the docks or the shore in general, which wouldn't make sense if an SG was constantly roaming down there on it's own anyway.

This is kind of a unique problem with p99; sometimes there are things that essentially everyone identifies as being wrong, possibly even the devs, but because there's no specific information available about how it was any change they might make now would itself be arbitrary and just guesswork, so it's left as is.