Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Sarnak

Warriors can't decrease their aggro like other dps classes. On raid targets that's especially tricky. Few things are more embarrassing than being a warrior who dies before the main tank does on a raid target because he pulled aggro.

I usually shoot for about 60 dps on raid targets if I'm not tanking. You want to be lower than the "speedbumps" which usually float around 80 dps. And obviously don't use a weapon with a high aggro proc.

That means a lot of toggling attack on and off. Attack on and use kick/slam then wait til kick/slam is back up. When it's up, use it again then turn your attack off. Wait until it's back up to turn attack on again. Helps keep you lower on threat and provides you a timer to keep your dps lower.

Also note that if you miss a bunch of times it doesn't mean you didn't increase your aggro any. "White threat" is gained just by swinging your weapon, regardless of hits/damage and misses.

In general, when in a typical group situation it's fine to aim at being just a dps. In a guild though people are always going to eyeroll the warriors who just want to dps. It's kind of intimidating being a young warrior and expected to tank all these raid mobs when you have very little gear. Usually guilds will put you pretty low on the tank list but you should still be expected to tank every once in a while. If you step forward and offer to ramp tank Vindi or something (which is pretty easy to do even with basic gear) then it's more likely they'll be cool with you not main tanking bigger stuff.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Fire Giant

Years of melee parsing end game Velious content with primal avatar has shown this average:

Rogue (135 dps) > Warrior (110 dps) > Ranger/Monk (85 dps) > Paladin (50 dps) > Shadowknight (45 dps)

The main take away is that monks, while considered a dps class by many, are in fact not very good dps - even with the very best gear. Warriors are the clear second for melee dps.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Years of melee parsing end game Velious content with primal avatar has shown this average:

Rogue (135 dps) > Warrior (110 dps) > Ranger/Monk (85 dps) > Paladin (50 dps) > Shadowknight (45 dps)

The main take away is that monks, while considered a dps class by many, are in fact not very good dps - even with the very best gear. Warriors are the clear second for melee dps.
I'm surprised to see Shadowknights at 45dps, but I suppose that makes sense because they can't quite fully dps a raid target.

The monk thing is surprising though, I have to imagine the difference comes down to warrior crits. I'm not sure what the crit% is for a high end warrior, I'm guessing around ~6%? For all intents and purposes crits are like having an extra high damage proc on your weapon.

But I also thought monks got like triple attack and flying kick? Doesn't flying kick start hitting twice, and it can hit upwards of like 200+ damage? Thats still really wild to me.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Planar Protector

Ironically you will do more damage than most everyone else as a tank just stack a few beefy damage shields
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Is this Pre or Post chardok 2.0? I've heard SK/Pal is closer to 60dps these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...But I also thought monks got like triple attack...
Warriors get triple attack.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warriors get triple attack.
Oh, neat, the wiki never mentioned that.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:39 PM
Kobold

Quote:

Alright, i'm stumped. how's a paladin 10% better dps than a shadowknight? Weapon choices that much better? SK has pet (ok, what's that worth, 2-5% of dps?), damage spells, same skill caps on weapons, harm touch. Ogre race choice for stun immune, prob not worth much.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dps warrior gnome only - other races dont get that sweet haste from tinkering. stacks with worn and other cast haste
Nope. 40% spell, stacks with item and v2 bard. Rolling cheap alacrity is great tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Gloves/boots (str/dex) do stack with all.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:49 PM
Planar Protector

Naethyn has some issues with sks... Sk have 5 more offense points, uses the same weapons as paladin and have offensive spells and proc, with similar gear sk can only be higher dps(but quite similar) than paladin, not the other way round... I parse around 55-60 depending on the raid targets personally...
Old 06-09-2020, 12:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Naethyn has some issues with sks... Sk have 5 more offense points, uses the same weapons as paladin and have offensive spells and proc, with similar gear sk can only be higher dps(but quite similar) than paladin, not the other way round... I parse around 55-60 depending on the raid targets personally...
Yaulp4 adds like 40 attack and 40 str. Uncapped it’s 80 attack plus some AC for 1 mana. Basically faux-Avatar.

I don’t disagree SK’s do more dps than Paladins (No basis to argue), especially with a pet and casting dots on the pull. Still, do you have raid figures with competitively geared Paladins? I know they have 225 vs 215 (sk) in piercing which is odd given so many good SK pokers out there.

Edit: Going to have to check that again with capped STR. I could just be delusional.
Last edited by Snaggles; 06-09-2020 at 12:19 AM..
Closed Thread