Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 09-30-2022, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

On a serious note, and this is not inventive on my part, I think the basic framework has to be, the period in question was a different time. To me, it made total sense that WoW exploded. Big diff b/w what computer and internet people had 1999 v 2003. EQ2, the natural choice at that end time frame for eq-loyal players, required a killer computer. WoW did not.

And millions had played the rts warcraft for millions of hours already.

In a sense I am not sure there is a story here. The actual sequence and tempo of events + technological progress predicts original eq dropping like a fly pretty much exactly when it did. No content could save it. No design decision totally explains it.

RL killed the eq star.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:30 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2022, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

It certainly is not that simple Chortles.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion Blaze [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why did some EverQuest players dislike WoW when it came out? What were the reasons they gave? How did WoW affect EQ’s playerbase? Just trying to understand for academic purposes. Please keep this mature.

So get on topic or go home. I would remind Chortles, this is a mature thread. This was cleared by r/theconferenceroom
Old 09-30-2022, 09:12 PM
Sarnak

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Starman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gates of Discord was an absolute disaster, and it was timed horribly for SOE since it came out a few months before WoW launched; they had tuned the expansion for players at level 70 but then didn't actually increase the level cap in a mind-bogglingly dumb maneuver, it was like releasing the Velious raid zones while leaving the level cap at 50, I was in a top 2 guild on my server and grinding that expansion was like slamming your head against a wall, I and over half my guild were pushed over the edge and quit within the first few weeks, just in time for the WoW launch.

https://everquest.fandom.com/wiki/Ev...tes_of_Discord
Sounds Like your tanks needed more Time gear and more defensive AAs. Gates forced your most important players to be decked out in good loot and lots of AAs. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2022, 09:14 PM
Planar Protector

Everquest came out when nerds were into fantasy

wow came out and invited all the worst people in the unvierse to like fantasy

now fantasy is ruined

the end.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:18 PM
Banned

like you
(lol)
Old 09-30-2022, 11:34 PM
Planar Protector

Old 10-01-2022, 12:57 AM
Banned

Old 10-01-2022, 10:31 AM
Sarnak

i dont think any eq players ever disliked wow. when wow came out you had to buy physical boxes with cd-rom/dvd-rom with actual cd key. you couldn't even find a copy for a while because it was so popular. so some may have had angst from not being able to participate.

on the other hand the eq players i know went to eq2 but that shit was harder than a korean mmo at launch. so you had a fragmented eq player base between eq, eq2, and wow. and there was no raiding in wow though at this point. they eventually nerfed difficulty on eq2. and eq was like 600 aa's minimum to app to a high end guild. and then wow got UBRS the first 10 man instanced roughly a year after launch.

so in the end you had hardcore raiders on eq, instanced casual fun hour on wow, and eq lore nerds on eq2. each game had it's own demographic.