Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Kobold

Default Charisma for necros?

Many necro items give negative charisma. Necro epic, however, gives positive charisma. Does necros charming benefit from high or low charisma?
Old 11-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned

Neither.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Decaying Skeleton

People used to say that negative charisma helped with undead charming, but I think this was proven wrong at some point.

As far as I remember, there's no effect either way, except for your vendor prices, etc.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:39 PM
Kobold

No

Cha is used typically for charming mobs, (and for getting better shop prices).
The necromancer does not have Cha check in the code when charming.

Tis why a Necro charm will typically last longer on average than an Ench, (even when the enc has max cha).
Al tough the Vendors will hate you even more, (so I just dislike them back .. typically with my pet and a few dots and a fear or 2).

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-16-2015, 02:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No

Cha is used typically for charming mobs, (and for getting better shop prices).
The necromancer does not have Cha check in the code when charming.

Tis why a Necro charm will typically last longer on average than an Ench, (even when the enc has max cha).
Al tough the Vendors will hate you even more, (so I just dislike them back .. typically with my pet and a few dots and a fear or 2).

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Fire Giant

I don't think that a necro charm lasts longer than that of a chanter with good charisma. Since i play both classes i know what i am talking about. But for both its a viable strategy and arguably the necro has a more reliable way to cope with trouble from charms (FD).
Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think that a necro charm lasts longer than that of a chanter with good charisma. Since i play both classes i know what i am talking about. But for both its a viable strategy and arguably the necro has a more reliable way to cope with trouble from charms (FD).
Mehh

Well you are right. the Necro can FD and mez.
However there is one thing that gives the chanter it's shine.
The chanter has very low delay casts for crowd control.
If the Necro had a low delay FD or Mez.. everybody would be playing Necro's.
So you sir are just a Noob chanter. Crowd control is never performed by a Necro.
As to a Necro and Shm/Clr combo and a nasty pet. That is a good combination, but a chanter will give the Clr/Shm a much easier time on healing.

And no, (for the the other point on charm breaks). You are wrong. the chance of a necromancer charm breaking is slightly lower than the chanter, ( due to the No Cha check in the code for a necromancer )
Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Decaying Skeleton

What about Blue mobs ? Does either class do better against the other for charming ?
Old 12-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Aviak

Red face

I've Heard Another theory that -cha helps with fear...but I get the feeling that was just hearsay too. Still there is alot of -cha on necro gear for some reason, might just be a lore thing, making merchants charge more of us Skellyfaces
Old 12-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Not having a cha check does not help a necro have better charms than an enchanter because you have how it works backwards.

Every tick on a charm will run against your checks.

Your level versus the mobs level is the first and most important check
The second check is the mob's magic resistance.
The third check is a Charisma check (if applicable)

Where you have it backwards is that you dont have to have all the checks pass to hold a charm. You only need one of those checks to pass for the charm to hold. So a necro that fails in both the level and magic check will have a charm break, where the enchanter will have one more chance in a charisma check to hold the charm. Albeit charisma is the smallest impact of the three checks.

So it doesnt make an enchanter OP but still gives them an edge over time.
Last edited by -Catherin-; 12-26-2015 at 07:50 PM..
Closed Thread