Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbait [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One immediate bonus I can tell is in the shm/nec duo is, not having my epic isn't hurting us as it doesn't stack with splurt, according to my wiki research, so i'm taking that with a grain of salt.
The wiki is right in this regard.

Do you have a GCD item? Instead of canni dancing, you can just canni spam with the GCD and not worry about the server ticks. Canni is your main source of mana regen, and having the necro heal (in addition to your regen) is not that big of a deal to miss out on med-ticks.

Keeping regen on him allows him to heal you regularly and you will both have ample mana pretty much all the time. Grouping with a competent necro makes being a shaman even better...
Old 11-15-2016, 08:06 PM
Orc

Oh yes, have the grim aura earring which is a lifesaver duo'ing with the Necro as I don't have too much time to sit and a lot of my mana regen comes straight from canni spam.

With the monk though, keeping buffs/haste/regrowth/slows rolling, missing med ticks made a noticeable difference in my mana upkeep and I would need to properly canni dance to keep non-stop pulls going. It would make my brain melt watching the server trying to synchronize with the client and seeing it go up and down up to 3 or 4 times in a single tick when it gets really bad but I mostly have the knack of it now, just takes a tick or two to find the sweet spot.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you are underestimating Necromancers quite a bit here. A Necromancer in rags can stack three low resist dots for 350 hp/tick. Add in a pet and some poison/disease dots or lifetaps here and there and they can easily sustain 100+ dps for several minutes.
How much mana is that? Thats the key. The Monk does not use mana. The Necro does and even with Lich he cannot compete with a Monk for a "next" rotation.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

Well, for taking out bosses the burst damage is more important. But necros are pretty good at sustained damage too. Splurt and Pyrocruor (5-6:1 and -100 resist checks) are basically the equivalent of the Wizard bane nukes in terms of efficiency; the 'only' problems are the duration and stacking issues. It's only when Necros are in full groups and have to use the Ignite Bones line that (2:1 and normal resist check) that their efficiency falls off.

It's hard to compare monk and necro dps in a duo as both will be pulling/ccing/healing etc, but as a back of the envelope estimate 50 mana per tick with Demi Lich * 5:1 efficiency is 40+ dps without even counting the pet which is probably another 40+.

But this is all theorycrafting. As a shaman yourself, why don't you duo with a necro a few times and try it?
Old 11-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Orc

Kind of a side question here...

Are there any mobs in the 48-50 range to solo that can drop the higher end spells like Canni IV/Bane/Pox/etc?

Or if not solo, then duo...even if the xp is slower, might as well try getting them to drop and xp at the same time.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbait [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kind of a side question here...

Are there any mobs in the 48-50 range to solo that can drop the higher end spells like Canni IV/Bane/Pox/etc?

Or if not solo, then duo...even if the xp is slower, might as well try getting them to drop and xp at the same time.
You'll need to be killing 55+ mobs for 55+ spells (IIRC, might be 50+ for 55+spells)

You'll need to kill velious mobs for velious spells, kunark mobs for kunark spells.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:59 AM
Orc

Speaking from the high end perspective, as a 60 necro, I've had fun and made money with a 60 shaman (with torpor) at seb, broodmother, dn, and western waste. A monk should be nice too, but necromancers provide a lot of damage and utility if they know what they're doing. Even things that shamans can solo die twice as fast if not faster with a necro sidekick around.

In howling stones, I can't think of a better duo in the entire game for experience 54-60 than nec/shm, specially if shaman has his epic. Do it right and things melt as you kill 5-6 things at a time without stopping in basement, north, or west. Roots, dots, necro charmed pet, it all must die!

I never played a monk or shaman though, so I can't comment on how good or bad a mnk/shm duo is.

Also worth noting that Shadowbond stacks with torpor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] That helps a face tanking shaman a lot with dragons or anything else that hits hard. Practice with cliff golems pre-torpor.

On 55+ kunark spells:

That's what cliff golems are for! The most boring low chance at a high level spell in the game.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:47 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to DOPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's what cliff golems are for! The most boring low chance at a high level spell in the game.
Thread hijack. Whats the best tactic/group makeup to take these down?
Old 11-24-2016, 04:42 AM
Orc

I've mostly done it with a shaman in a duo scenario. Super rarely in a trio. Only once in a group of four people, and that seemed like overkill.

Cliff golems have a fairly fast repop timer, and people usually only kill the one next to HH because the other one has a nearly guaranteed Dragoon add.

This is a mob quite a few shamans seem to solo once they get torpor, either for practice or just for revenge, no idea.

It's not much different from duoing anything else that's tough and high hp for this combo, and not difficult at all after doing it once:

Necro pulls with something high aggro and no damage. I chose Scent of Terris. Make sure the aggro stays on you until the Shaman is able to land malosini and slow. Usually this means a few casts of Scent of Terris and kiting around in shaman's casting range unless the shaman gets really lucky. Shaman tanks, necro dots the sucker up and heals the shaman while shaman tanks/dots/heals.

If you want to get risky for a faster kill, you can charm the undead foreman, but I don't think it's worth it if you're duo. Keeping the shaman healed is a win, and focusing on dots, combined with your rogue pet is enough DPS.

You can do the other cliff golem given the repop timer, but you'll quickly see what a pain in the ass that dragoon can be.

In a trio with someone who's *that* bored, keeping both down should be a piece of cake.

If you get a good full group, it's better just going somewhere else, like if you have a rogue why not go for juggernauts in seb instead, or maybe guardian wurms with a much better drop rate on spells.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:53 AM
Fire Giant

Even better thread hijack:

Necro/Monk is the best option: redic DPS with undead charm and nec can just feign pet onto monk when it breaks to re-charm at leisure.. A monk/nec in City of Mist/Guk type-areas is almost the xp of a 6man wall group, minus the 4 xp sponges. Any sign of trouble and both can feign!

Back on topic : You are basically trying to compare the two best options for a shaman to duo with to one another. It's a good problem to have.

NEC/SHM : others have said it, but Malo helps a ton with charm. Necro can use the orb of tishan as well if they want style points and max ghetto resist debuffs. If you stock up on Essence Emeralds, Necros also add a 93% rezzer to the mix, as well as emergency crowd control (Paralyzing earth is a 3 min root at level 49... Crowd Control For Dummies(tm)).

Believe it or not sometimes Necros are better pullers because pet pulls with feign can make even the ugliest rooms manageable. I used to routinely use a Necro for mini Fire Giant raids in classic, just because sending a pet into the room before Rokyl would aggro all 4, I could tag one, and it would run all the way up to me as i feigned. The other 3 giants would be finishing off the pet, but not before an off-assist had bowed the one giant over to the raid. Just as an example.

Most monks are monks for life. If he's getting cold feet, he's not a real monk. The major bonus to being a monk would be if you guys were raiding... Easier to sneak onto a l337 raidguild roster as a monk + buffer than a twitcher + buffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Closed Thread