Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Banned

Paladins are great group tanks but not really a valuable raid class.

They are also better as a 2nd or 3rd class that you can twink out since they are reliant on gear.

I find stuns to be really valuable though. The name of the game of the server in 2018, group wise, is efficiency. When you can stun with your pally it stops the mobs from dpsing and you can keep your killing faster by keeping your need for heals down. If there's caster mobs, this is even better.
Last edited by Teppler; 09-24-2018 at 06:22 PM..
Old 09-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

I don’t know how Pallies are gear dependent. For grind groups they are renown for horrible dps and only appreciated for snap aggro. Level 30 stun is a ton of aggro and 30mana; Flash of Light is 12 mana. I usually have Holy Might and Force loaded to shut down casters but never for aggro. Any player (Pally or SK) who can chain cast these lowbie spells can tank using a cracked staff. Warriors and monks don’t have that luxury.

For solo yea...dps matters. Still though, hybrids beat things up over time using tricks. It’s a battle of attrition. 30 mana root, three clicks of the Dw helm, another root. Keep doing that until it dies or you go insane from boredom.

Knights can get by with banded, HP rings, and a 200-400p weapon. Sure they are scrubby as hell but more aggro is always just an index finger click away.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t know how Pallies are gear dependent. For grind groups they are renown for horrible dps and only appreciated for snap aggro. Level 30 stun is a ton of aggro and 30mana; Flash of Light is 12 mana. I usually have Holy Might and Force loaded to shut down casters but never for aggro. Any player (Pally or SK) who can chain cast these lowbie spells can tank using a cracked staff. Warriors and monks don’t have that luxury.

For solo yea...dps matters. Still though, hybrids beat things up over time using tricks. It’s a battle of attrition. 30 mana root, three clicks of the Dw helm, another root. Keep doing that until it dies or you go insane from boredom.

Knights can get by with banded, HP rings, and a 200-400p weapon. Sure they are scrubby as hell but more aggro is always just an index finger click away.
Because there's a big difference when a Pally has a fungi/crown or narandi/haste item/decent weapon/AC/HP. A pally with that stuff is 10x the pally without them.

Compare that to a necro, chanter or druid who are not really better for being geared out.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because there's a big difference when a Pally has a fungi/crown or narandi/haste item/decent weapon/AC/HP. A pally with that stuff is 10x the pally without them.

Compare that to a necro, chanter or druid who are not really better for being geared out.
Not 10x but I understand the hyperbole. I assumed in the tank subthread referring to gear dependence we were talking tanks or even more broadly all melees except bards. When opening to every class in the game, knights are probably mid-pack for gear dependence. They don’t seal the deal for a guilds progression.

Gear matters but with exception of the top 1% of grind tanking (spore king, etc) or raid tanking it’s not even like comparing an epic rogue vs a non-epic rogue or a warrior with a Infestation and a WESS vs dual lammies.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:44 AM
Banned

Pallies are great fun. People just have the wrong approach to them.

I far more enjoy whacking merbs with my Paladin at 1/20th the kill rate of a my epic 51 shaman.

Why? Because this game has been done to the shit house for 20 years and the name of the game now is of setting challenges. I have 2 mobs left to solo in lguk on my Paladin - Lord and Frenzy to say that I have slayed the entire undead side solo using a Paladin. I have gained about 51 of my 54 levels solo, and to be brutally honest it's almost quicker to solo still with how slow some xp groups are.

Once you lose your spirit of adventure for EQ you aren't really playing EQ anymore -- you're playing a class simply because it's the easiest, most efficent path to 60 and subseqently quitting out of bordem or zerging it up for pixels that give you a .25% power increase.

Paladin's are the true EverQuest experience imho.
Last edited by White_knight; 09-25-2018 at 04:52 AM..
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

Up to 30 on my pally and having a blast.

Are they bad? Absolutely not, you just have to know and accept their shortcomings:

-low dps
-lack of defensive

They have an impressive spell toolkit and really make for arguably the best all-around group tank for content that doesn’t require defensive. Between lulls, snap aggro, on demand root, on demand stun, buffs, direct heals, rezzes, heal over times, and LoH ... hugely versatile and highly desirable. Their dps will go up with Chardok 2.0 after they are put on same damage tables as warriors and will benefit greatly from the 2h damage bonus revamp.

If you want to raid main tank, play a warrior. Paladins are tons of fun in groups.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 10-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Banned

My main is now a warrior, the other day we assembled a pick up group, didn't care what classes. just wanted to grind. Ended up getting a pally with me in the group, and he was so cool to have.. 2 tanks, yuck right? Nope he was awesome to have! All his utility spells, stuns, off tanking.. And we spoke proc weapons all evening long! Paladins- super cool in my books.. all classes- Super cool in my book
Old 10-03-2018, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My main is now a warrior, the other day we assembled a pick up group, didn't care what classes. just wanted to grind. Ended up getting a pally with me in the group, and he was so cool to have.. 2 tanks, yuck right? Nope he was awesome to have! All his utility spells, stuns, off tanking.. And we spoke proc weapons all evening long! Paladins- super cool in my books.. all classes- Super cool in my book
Any godmode group has a Pally and warrior. Pally for tanking and warrior stays in frenzy mode the whole time doin nasty cripples.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any godmode group has a Pally and warrior. Pally for tanking and warrior stays in frenzy mode the whole time doin nasty cripples.
I love when a group lets me go Berzerk!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

Yep, in exp group, if you have a sk or pal and a war, let the hybrid tank, quicker and stronger agro and you can focus on dps/cripple berzerk...
Closed Thread