Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaiyan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The monk worries me because if I play iksar, which most agree is the best monk race (hard to beat the regen and ac) --- I'll be KoS almost everywhere. I don't think I like that, despite it being the better choice. Or, if I followed Jims advice above would I be set...
You can do certain quests that will give you factions with zones so you can bank.

I.e my Ogre Shaman can bank in freeport =)

Also if you tag along with a few Sir Lucan DeLere kills you will get great faction in freeport banking area.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Aviak

I think you'll really like paladin. Grab a cheap paladin weapon, maybe some hp rings, and you'll be able to solo to 50. It won't be the fastest, but you can do it, without too many buttons to press. If you want to speed up the process to level 9, the bone chip or cb belt/pad quests in kaladim have helped me a ton.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

I find level 1-5 vs decaying skeletons in North Ro (use a high dmg rusty 2 hander for 1 hit kills).

Walk out with stacks of bone chips, full set of cloth armor, plenty of bags and food and several dozen pp from vendored drops is a good start for good aligned characters.

Buy a weapon with close to 1:2 ratio, then head to kaladim to hit level 9 from turning in your bone chips.

Do a few levels in crushbone (gather cent belts and Lego pads to hand in for xp), then do unrest until you get bored of it.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Kobold

Thanks so much all.

im off tomorrow so I shall begin my journey then! Perhaps I'll catalog the adventure over there in the screen shot thread. Thanks again for all the input, advice, and tips!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Planar Protector

I soloed a Paladin to 54. You can do this with banded and a baton of faith. At 45 you can heal with the Deepwater Helm (casts Daring). A monk or warrior will kill faster and with the right gear with less downtime but if you can’t kill something you don’t have the option of outlasting the enemy with spell tricks.

SK’s are nice soloers and definitely can travel with less problems (invis and feign death) but standing toe to toe and life tapping isn’t as efficient as the pally version. Then again, fear kiting with a pet is a great benefit to the class. Also the darling races all have 20% (ogre) 40% (iksar and troll) exp penalties.

One thing to remember is EQ is exceptionally hard in that the NPC’s quickly outscale the players in hit points and dps. Any melee with a healer duo should be able to grind exp but even at 60 I wouldn’t assume you can waltz in and smash dragons. In grind groups I find the pally to be very fun and even with marginal gear you can hold aggro like a champ. Plus the first time you Lay on Hands and save a team member you will feel the warm fuzzies [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Last edited by Snaggles; 08-21-2018 at 09:13 AM..
Old 08-21-2018, 10:20 AM
Orc

My first char on p99 was a warrior, Iksar ar that. While it was really challanging, I found it really fun. My monk could definitely solo a little better, having mend and an escape button (FD), but I really love my warrior.

I tried playing hybrids, but they just aren't as fun to me. I would recommend a warrior, just because its challanging haha.

But if you aren't looking for a big challange, and want to level a bit faster, I'd say go monk, just learn to love pulling. Paladin might also be fun for you, I really like them compared to SKs.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCUJJ59tb_hD6slUqh_YrgMw

Here's some videos of what it looks like to solo level as a Paladin using a DW helm.

Slow and tedious but effective(ish).

Soloing 20-51 is actually easy for a Paladin in terms of xp gains, post 51 it slows down ALOT.

In CoM 45-51 I was getting 1-2% per kill, on average say 1 kill per 3-5 mins and the xp flows in. Some mobs are really hard tho (cough fog golems) so best avoid them. You will see in one video took me 10 mins to kill one because he was a nasty mofo.

I was able to solo stables by myself and kill 70% of the spawns using a dw helm, baton of faith and crusty armor at 45.

If you had the full sha-bang of high haste, fungi, ds pots, good weapon, high strength etc it would be alot faster.
I just borrowed a fungi off a friend who doesnt play p99 anymore and at level 52 I even notice a difference soloing in Guk.
Last edited by White_knight; 08-22-2018 at 06:07 PM..
Old 08-22-2018, 07:31 PM
Kobold

Thanks for that White Knight. Currently sitting at level 9 on the paladin, ready to enter and start tanking crushbone until 15 or so.

Good to know about that helm. I'm not too worried about the later levels since that's so damn far away. If I manage to take him that far, I probably will have no problem finding groups i would imagine.

Awesome info
Old 08-22-2018, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaiyan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for that White Knight. Currently sitting at level 9 on the paladin, ready to enter and start tanking crushbone until 15 or so.

Good to know about that helm. I'm not too worried about the later levels since that's so damn far away. If I manage to take him that far, I probably will have no problem finding groups i would imagine.

Awesome info
Even in groups the helm is worth it for 300-400pp.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 PM
Kobold

Does that helm only proc at level 40? Can't see it since I'm on my phone at work. Should I wait to buy it then?

Trying to figure out my priority but order.

Can update on my currently paladin gear when I get home. Right now I'm using a scimitar and a shield that gives 25 hp, with a two handed dwarven axe on swap for the 20 damage hits. Mainly used that to one shot skeletons for bone chips.
Closed Thread