Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 04-27-2022, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Given the drop rates off nagafen and vox, and the difficulty of getting them at all--only a few guilds really try, let alone win--most players will save the platinum to buy a book of scale before they'd get the pieces as drops. It stays relatively affordable due to the small paladin population on P1999. I definitely wouldn't recommend retarding your leveling progress in hopes of getting one. You can also get the burnt and frost books as drops off Talendor and Gorenaire meaning that option does stay open in some fashion. In truth I have never seen a level 60 paladin on P1999 who didn't have the epic except by choice (some folks don't care or want it). Don't fret it overmuch. Level 51 is pretty early for the epic train. There's a big difference in what you and your friends will do even with another half-dozen levels, let alone at 60.

If you want to make a second paladin, make it because you like playing the class, not because you think it'll play all that much differently. The paladin's races all play about the same aside from their different starting areas. They all level at the same rate, all have broadly similar faction alignments, and none of them have potent racial innates like regeneration or slam. Even their stats are relatively close; EQ's a "big numbers" game and 10 of something here, 15 there isn't a large difference. Main things you'll notice is dwarves have a slightly harder time with lulls while high elves and erudites struggle a bit with carry capacity at first. It's not a dramatic difference in style like there is between, say, a troll versus dark elf shadow knight.

Danth
Old 04-27-2022, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

Heh, maybe the Naggy/Vox thing actually gives me more incentive to make another Paladin later. Take my Dwarf Pally to 60 and get his Epic at some point, make a High Elf Pally, get ND, and keep it at Level 51-52 forever.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

I'd probably pick a class not played yet...but whatever.

You're overthinking it. You and DSM make great pals.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd probably pick a class not played yet...but whatever.

You're overthinking it. You and DSM make great pals.
People ask questions on forums to get answers. Sorry you don't understand how forums work.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:53 PM
Kobold

don't waste your time, pick another class, learn another class. way more fun.

otherwise why have 2 of the same thing?
Old 05-14-2022, 04:39 PM
Banned

You can't have enough pally alts and if one dies in pvp u can just log the other one in [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-16-2022, 11:26 AM
Fire Giant

nothing dumb to do something you enjoy, people always forget the purpose of gaming

but if you expect a whole different experience by rerolling a different race, then it's not happening. i think this is what most people are trying to point out.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Visiting this idea again, everything I have on my ranger would suit a paladin well, and I'm intending to scrap my ranger and transfer its funds to my existing Dwarf Pally anyway. After playing a Druid I find I like that a lot more than my Ranger, surprisingly.

For High Elf Paladin starting stats, is it recommended I go full 20 Sta, or can I spread it around to shore up weaknesses? My thoughts were to put 10 into Str, 5 into Sta, and 5 into Dex, then they'd all be 75 with no negative scores. Use SotM, Ghoulbane and Baton of Faith until I'm 46, then MQ Nature's Defender and I'd be set from that point on.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Visiting this idea again, everything I have on my ranger would suit a paladin well, and I'm intending to scrap my ranger and transfer its funds to my existing Dwarf Pally anyway. After playing a Druid I find I like that a lot more than my Ranger, surprisingly.

For High Elf Paladin starting stats, is it recommended I go full 20 Sta, or can I spread it around to shore up weaknesses? My thoughts were to put 10 into Str, 5 into Sta, and 5 into Dex, then they'd all be 75 with no negative scores. Use SotM, Ghoulbane and Baton of Faith until I'm 46, then MQ Nature's Defender and I'd be set from that point on.
I went max CHA and stuck to the highest ZEM dungeons (warrens --> perma --> CT --> etc) and used calm / paci all the damn time.

Also will want a few big cha items to go with your kit if you're going the solo dungeon route.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

I don't suppose dumping 20 into Wis to max out my mana pool is an option for a HIE Pally?