Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 06-28-2022, 05:20 PM
Sarnak

End game? Both r pretty sweet in their own way

Pal can rez, layhands, 5x CH from soulfire, divine str 200HP buff, calm pull/root camp crawl dungeons, super fun to duo/ enchanter, divine aura train outs

Sk can raid pull chardok royals to ent w/o a rogue(necro too), assist in vp trains, fte outdoor dragons w/ sow sword + pet track, go anywhere in seb/HS with no rogue for corpse recoveries, solo pull all of plane of hate w/ dispell/undead lulls/fd for a raid group.. 1 of 3 classes that can solo pull and kill fungi king but you have to abuse the saferock(just sayin its possible and isn't worth the trouble)

Well geared pal/sk (velious raid geared) prolly at best are able to tank kunark dragons/royals/HOT/Wtov trash with enuff heals .. never seen a hybrid fully tank any velious raid bosses in tov from start to finish in this timed locked era. perhaps the CS dragon and lodizal would be the only exception
Last edited by zati; 06-28-2022 at 05:24 PM..
Old 06-28-2022, 05:30 PM
Fire Giant

Pal or SK is so hot in VP right now.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
End game? Both r pretty sweet in their own way

Pal can rez, layhands, 5x CH from soulfire, divine str 200HP buff, calm pull/root camp crawl dungeons, super fun to duo/ enchanter, divine aura train outs

Sk can raid pull chardok royals to ent w/o a rogue(necro too), assist in vp trains, fte outdoor dragons w/ sow sword + pet track, go anywhere in seb/HS with no rogue for corpse recoveries, solo pull all of plane of hate w/ dispell/undead lulls/fd for a raid group.. 1 of 3 classes that can solo pull and kill fungi king but you have to abuse the saferock(just sayin its possible and isn't worth the trouble)

Well geared pal/sk (velious raid geared) prolly at best are able to tank kunark dragons/royals/HOT/Wtov trash with enuff heals .. never seen a hybrid fully tank any velious raid bosses in tov from start to finish in this timed locked era. perhaps the CS dragon and lodizal would be the only exception
I tanked a couple of dragons and vindi but i remember it not being viable and only working bc we had 90+ man raids
Old 06-29-2022, 01:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It will be spikey as hell due to the delay too.

Its funny though, Snails beats me on DPS sometimes if I'm really unlucky with backstabs and he gets a lucky streak with Avatar+Tunare sword. Doesn't happen that often but its kind of a funny WTF moment when the Pally starts pulling 90 DPS for a bit cause all the hits land. As a dual wielding Rogue, if I roll 10 misses in a row I stop doing damage for like 4 seconds and recoup it with a lucky backstab roll or a lucky streak of hits. A pally swinging one of these that hits the same unlucky patch does 0 damage for like 15 seconds.

I was kind of curious so I went poking through my last sky raid logs, and he was doing between 20 and 97 dps. There were two kills where both of us were on it for the whole time and he beat me out.
From the parses I was looking at I think the average comes out closer to ~65-70 than the ~35-40 number Pint suggested.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From the parses I was looking at I think the average comes out closer to ~65-70 than the ~35-40 number Pint suggested.
40 DPS on a knight was pretty average back during Kunark. I expect it ought to average higher now with the various class and mechanic revamps we've had since then. Could be that's a worst case scenario against a particularly high-AC target?

--------------------------

Pint is very much accurate from the tank side. The hybrids tank lower-end raids perfectly well--which has major ramifications on "recycle" servers (they're the best tanks pre-expansion)--but they aren't well-suited to the needs of Velious end-game. Even if you can make them work for Velious boss tanking, there's little reason to do so except to say you did. Fair's fair, let warriors have their moment of joy.

Danth
Old 07-01-2022, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

I have both - I think Paladin is the overall better class on paper, especially in the P99 raid scene with the Soulfire change.

But with that being said, I still enjoy playing my SK more. Just so much QoL and the ability to go anywhere, having access to all of the master races, and a much cooler/useful epic IMO than pallies. There's a lot of fun/creativity to be had fear kiting in close quarters too. Truly a phenomenal class that gets overlooked due to limited raid utility in the classic scene.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:06 PM
Kobold

Still trying to find a paladin able to get anywhere near my superior SK dps, guess they're just "too busy watching the tank with their class viability"-nonsense.
Fuck paladins, just go SK and /ignore anyone who asks you to swap classes.
If you pars higher than shitter monks, no one can really trash you.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Imagine a shit tier sk dps ragging on shit tier pally dps.

Yikes
Old 07-16-2022, 11:42 PM
Planar Protector

Yikies!
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 07-17-2022, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

I've certainly out dpsed monks on my SK hehe. Paladin endgame is better for raiding and solo challenge on mobs that can't be feared. SKs endgame can solo anything fearable better. SKs are better in groups endgame too due to FD. SKs are not really used in raiding.