Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-26-2022, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

Default (ResetDevice)

This one is starting to drive me nuts. I use WinEQ2, though I don't know if it affects it. The game will just crash, usually in the same areas (By Ayillish, outside Cabilis in LOIO).

I've heard from multiple people it's from dynamic lighting, but I haven' found any commonality.

Anyone have any tips? It's Sesriously affecting my enjoyment of the game. I died to Xenovorash twice in a row because of it, then died to Ayillish right after.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

dgVoodoo is what fixed this for me

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=396380
Old 03-26-2022, 08:26 PM
Planar Protector

At 9 crashes today, I can pretty confidently say I've died more to this bug than anything else since returning to p99.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've heard of this one before, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work while still using full screen on a 1440p monitor. Any ideas?
Old 03-26-2022, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've heard of this one before, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work while still using full screen on a 1440p monitor. Any ideas?
You just copy the dll files into your EQ folder, and you can use the config utility to set it to stay fullscreen (and remove the stupid watermark). I think it defaults to windowed - but alt+enter should still work to toggle. I play in a window with dgvoodoo2 and the alt+enter toggle works for fullscreen, but it looks stretched and ugly so I play windowed).

-Mcoy
Old 03-29-2022, 02:31 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This one is starting to drive me nuts. I use WinEQ2, though I don't know if it affects it. The game will just crash, usually in the same areas (By Ayillish, outside Cabilis in LOIO).

I've heard from multiple people it's from dynamic lighting, but I haven' found any commonality.

Anyone have any tips? It's Sesriously affecting my enjoyment of the game. I died to Xenovorash twice in a row because of it, then died to Ayillish right after.
I know you've already installed WinEQ2, but that seems to have alleviated my struggle. Like you, I have certain areas that give me trouble, for example, the outpost in OT. And again, like you, I haven't found a commonality.

The installation of WinEQ2 is recent, and while it appears to have resolved it, I remain wary.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:00 AM
Kobold

Had this issue months ago and saw alot of the same advice there that im seeing here. WinEQ also did not work for me but dgvoodo2 did. I havent had a reset device error since. It doesnt seem to be linked to dynamic lightning, it has something to do with directx11/12 not meshing well with EQ which is designed for... directx9? I think? dgvoodo2 basically makes EQ use dx9 as far as I understand it.

edit: Curious, do you have the crashes when you are turning with mouse ?
Old 03-31-2022, 12:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Had this issue months ago and saw alot of the same advice there that im seeing here. WinEQ also did not work for me but dgvoodo2 did. I havent had a reset device error since. It doesnt seem to be linked to dynamic lightning, it has something to do with directx11/12 not meshing well with EQ which is designed for... directx9? I think? dgvoodo2 basically makes EQ use dx9 as far as I understand it.

For me personally, I haven't noticed. I did get the reset error several times today trying to explore the tar goo cave area in WL, so my problem isn't resolved. Tried the dgvoodoo2 fix, but apparently it's not compatible with WinEQ2 since upon launch it told me to remove a couple of the DLL files that I had just placed in the EQ directory. Might try uninstalling WinEQ2, and installing dgvoodoo2, and see how that works.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Actually come to think of it - yes. Almost exclusively. Odd I haven't noticed that before.

There's some other quirks to dgVoodoo I haven't fully figured out yet (like setting a dynamic max fps) but so far so good. Thanks a ton, guys.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:53 AM
Aviak

I just had a huge spike in this error for me starting on two days ago. Some zones I can't move at all in right now without my game locking up. Not sure if something changed recently or what, but it's bad.

Anyone know how to fix mouse turning in dgVoodoo? Whenever I use my mouse to turn in it I drop frames hard for almost half a second.
Catchdeez Handssson - 55 Monk