Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 05-10-2022, 11:53 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then you would know what "modest" gear is. You seem to be thinking like a low level Shaman, where max HP and regen is all you need to stack.
I’d trade 6 100hp items for 6 fungal regrowth effects. Wouldn’t think twice.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbiterBlixen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’d trade 6 100hp items for 6 fungal regrowth effects. Wouldn’t think twice.
If you could wear 10 Fungi Tunics, then yeah I would agree with you. +150HP regen is 50% of a Torpor. The problem is you can only get +15 regen from worn items in total, including Fungi Tunic. +15 regen is only improving your total regeneration by 5% when you are using Torpor. It just isn't doing much.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:13 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you could wear 10 Fungi Tunics, then yeah I would agree with you. +150HP regen is 50% of a Torpor. The problem is you can only get +15 regen from worn items in total, including Fungi Tunic. +15 regen is only improving your total regeneration by 5% when you are using Torpor. It just isn't doing much.
Tbh, I’d still make the trade off on smaller scales. 6.67hp 1.6ac vs. 1hp regen. I’d take the regen.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbiterBlixen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tbh, I’d still make the trade off on smaller scales. 6.67hp 1.6ac vs. 1hp regen. I’d take the regen.
As I said before, you are free to play however you want. That doesn't mean your method of play is objectively superior.

https://youtu.be/4Rzw3wLWEsM?t=2060 Take a look at this video of me pulling King Tranix with a full room of Giants. I lost 80% of my HP in 30 seconds trying to get everything CC'ed. I am not trying to claim this is a good video either, I made far too many mistakes.

In 30 seconds Fungi Tunic would have saved me 75HP, which is a paltry 3% of my total pool, and less HP than the +100HP from Vindi BP. Fungi Tunic would have been worthless here, because the extra AC from Vindi BP could easily mitigate more than 3% of my total pool, depending on luck.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-11-2022 at 12:29 AM..
Old 05-11-2022, 01:09 AM
Aviak

Quote:
As I said before, you are free to play however you want. That doesn't mean your method of play is objectively superior.

https://youtu.be/4Rzw3wLWEsM?t=2060 Take a look at this video of me pulling King Tranix with a full room of Giants. I lost 80% of my HP in 30 seconds trying to get everything CC'ed. I am not trying to claim this is a good video either, I made far too many mistakes.

In 30 seconds Fungi Tunic would have saved me 75HP, which is a paltry 3% of my total pool, and less HP than the +100HP from Vindi BP. Fungi Tunic would have been worthless here, because the extra AC from Vindi BP could easily mitigate more than 3% of my total pool, depending on luck.
You say fungi would have been worthless here. But so was your vindi BP. Unless you’re suggesting it provided 20% hp worth of mitigation? You would have survived bare chested.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You say fungi would have been worthless here. But so was your vindi BP. Unless you’re suggesting it provided 20% hp worth of mitigation? You would have survived bare chested.
AC is going to have a better shot of mitigating damage than Fungi Tunic. Fungi Tunic is 75HP no matter what. These giants have a damage range of around 28 to 126. AC could easily mitigate 500 damage if it reduced 5 attacks from 126 to 28. And that is indeed 20% of my total HP. I am not tanking AoW, who basically ignores AC for all intents and purposes.

The problem is Fungi Tunic is simply too consistent when you have Torpor. Not only was the max HP from Vindi BP still more than the regen at 30 seconds, but the extra AC could have easily mitigated hundreds of damage.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
but the extra AC could have easily mitigated hundreds of damage.
Not to mention if the AC increase means you dodge even ONE hit that would have otherwise interrupted a torpor, it literally saved your life. I know channeling is pretty reliable on this server (compared to TAKP oh lord is it ever) but I'd think the most important thing in fights like these is *successfully casting torpor*. This is less of a concern for ogres but it's still possible to be interrupted even with FSI. Granted it's impossible to ever know which hits you avoided strictly due to the AC difference between a Fungi and a Vindi BP, but still.

Seems like somebody could do a video running some trials of fungi vs vindi during an encounter to see what their HP was once stable and compare?
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Last edited by greenspectre; 05-11-2022 at 09:45 AM..
Old 05-11-2022, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seems like somebody could do a video running some trials of fungi vs vindi during an encounter to see what their HP was once stable and compare?
Honestly, in the grand scheme of things the difference between the two is so minute that you could probably do fifty test runs and still see no difference between the two tunics.

Ultimately over long periods of time the fungi is better, and for shorter periods (eg. raid fights) the Vindi BP is clearly better ... but you could compare a Vindi BP Shaman, to a Fungi Shaman, to a Nekid (in their chest slot) Shaman, and be hard pressed to see a difference for 99% of fights.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-11-2022 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-11-2022, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, in the grand scheme of things the difference between the two is so minute that you could probably do fifty test runs and still see no difference between the two tunics.

Ultimately over long periods of time the fungi is better, and for shorter periods (eg. raid fights) the Vindi BP is clearly better ... but you could compare a Vindi BP Shaman, to a Fungi Shaman, to a Nekid (in their chest slot) Shaman, and be hard pressed to see a difference for 99% of fights.
OP is asking about which Chest piece is better, not whether or not a chest piece is required. I agree with you that Torpor is so good you don't need top of the line gear for most situations, but loot is a primary mechanic in Everquest, and it does help you win fights.

For a Torpor Shaman there is no "long periods of time". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZxMlJSCDc A Torpor Shaman can go from low HP and MP to full HP and MP in 3 minutes. You never need to be ticking regen between fights.

And for shorter periods of time you are generally talking about fights lasting no longer than 10 minutes, which means Fungi Tunic is giving you 1500HP at best over the 10 minutes, which is simply one Torpor. Generally speaking 1 Torpor (200 mana) would not have made a difference. The extra AC/HP/Resists from Vindi BP could make a difference in terms of reducing damage spikes.

If you have Fungi Tunic and Vindi BP, you can obviously use them as you wish. But I wouldn't recommend buying a Fungi Tunic if you already have a Vindi BP, you simply won't use it much. That Fungi Tunic would be better suited on an alt. And if you don't have Vindi BP, I would recommend getting it over just sticking with Fungi Tunic, as it is simply better.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-11-2022 at 11:30 AM..
Old 05-11-2022, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
For a Torpor Shaman there is no "long periods of time". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZxMlJSCDc A Torpor Shaman can go from low HP and MP to full HP and MP in 3 minutes. You never need to be ticking regen between fights.
This isn't true at all. Let's say you are farming safety XP: you're going to be playing for an extended period of time. The extra stats from Vindi BP aren't going to help you kill those XP mobs meaningfully faster ... but wearing your Fungi while you do it will save you a few Torpor casts over the entire XP session.

Again, it's not going to make a huge (or even medium-sized) difference either way, but objectively-speaking wearing the Fungi and having to cast Torpor less will be better in that case.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.