Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 12:21 PM
Large Rat

Default Hello, EQ Noob checking in.

Hey guys, thought I'd type up a brief intro. I have no real prior EQ experience aside from a brief attempt to get in to the game a few years ago, I think I got to level 2 on necromancer. Well I'm back to give it another shot on green server, and this time I'm going to try and play the game duo with my son. As of right now the plan is to go Druid/Paladin (He thinks paladin is just the coolest, and I am a total scrub trying to play it safe). Yesterday I was testing the water with a Barbarian shaman who preceded fell into a lake, couldn't figure out how to swim up, drowned, rezzed in some pitch black area and rerolled.

My druid has had a little more success, making it to level three and being handed a nice starter mace and some fancy jewelry by a kind passerby. As soon as our IP exempt request goes through my son will be joining me which leads to my first question. Should I stop getting XP to avoid creating to much of a level gap? Are there disadvantages to out-leveling him? And lastly do you all have any tips for us going into this pretty much completely blind? We will be trying to make as much progress as possible during his 2 weeks of spring break, and we look forward to playing with all of you!
Old 03-11-2020, 12:34 PM
Aviak

Welcome!

In response to your levelling question - there are rules about who can group with whom and still get experience. The wiki has the full set somewhere, but the basic answer = if you stay within a few levels of one another you'll be fine. The allowable difference grows as your level gets higher, so a difference of 5 levels in your 40s is no big deal really, but 5 levels when both are less than 10 is likely not good.

I'd say, level your druid to 4 or 5 or maybe 6, get those new level 4 spells, and wait on him. Truth is, he can exp on newb yard trash from 1-4 in maybe 2 hours, so he'll catch you super quick. There are other quests too to rapidly advance (bard mail delivery is one, particularly if based in Freeport, the Bard mail delivery quest from FP to Nek forest is easy and fast and pretty safe with jsut a little bit of care), but you're best bet = just let him whack yard trash to learn game mechanics for now.

See you in game!
Old 03-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Large Rat

I'll get him to the newbie yard right now then! I think we are in Qeynos right now. I'm not super familiar with the maps yet but the area north of town seems like a safe enough spot to let him fight till we can both play at the same time.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

From http://wiki.project1999.com/Experience

Quote:
Lowest Level * 1.5 (Round down) or Highest Level * 0.667 (Round up) and always at least 5 levels.
Generic Examples
Level 1 can group with up to a 6
Level 20 can group up to a 30 (20 * 1.5 = 30)
Level 30 can group down to a 20 (30 * 0.667 = 20)

Rounding Examples
Level 33 can group up to a 49 (33 * 1.5 = 49.5)
Level 50 can group down to a 34 (50 * 0.67 = 33.34)
So until level 15, it’s +/-5 levels. 1 can group with 6, 5 can group with 10, 8 can group with 14. Once the highest group member is 15, you have to use the 1.5x rule.
Last edited by Videri; 03-11-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Old 03-12-2020, 10:04 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From http://wiki.project1999.com/Experience

So until level 15, it’s +/-5 levels. 1 can group with 6, 5 can group with 10, 8 can group with 14. Once the highest group member is 15, you have to use the 1.5x rule.
That was exactly the info I was looking for, tyvm!
Old 03-12-2020, 10:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmaron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yesterday I was testing the water with a Barbarian shaman who preceded fell into a lake, couldn't figure out how to swim up, drowned, rezzed in some pitch black area and rerolled.
Sounds about right. Welcome to Everquest.

For the record: You can mouselook by holding the right mouse button (I believe F12 turns that on and off. There is no reason not to have it on.)

Alternately, you can use the key that every late 90's FPS used to look up without a mouse: Page Up. (No, you're not expected to know that in 2020. Mouselook has spoiled us. In 1999 that was common knowledge.)
Old 03-12-2020, 02:29 PM
Banned

Use the wiki to help navigate, look up where to get your spells, etc.

I've been on Blue for...oh gosh...over four years now...I still use the wiki (zero EQ experience prior to P99 as well for me).
Old 03-12-2020, 08:24 PM
Orc

Make a Location hotkey. /loc is the command. This will give you your coordinates in the zone you are in. Very helpful to spam this when you are about to die (you will die often). Use the location coordinates to...

Find your corpse using the maps on the wiki. First time you enter a zone pull up the zone and map on the wiki. This will help you navigate the zone better.

Consider everything. Right click on a mob to consider it. Note the color and the way they consider you. The wiki has a good write up on con colors and faction

Lots of other things but it’s more fun to find yourself. Read the wiki, ask questions in game (lots of good folks here), and have fun!

Oh, and stay out of the Rants and Flames forums.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:26 PM
Orc

Yes the wiki is quite good. I'm a casual player on Green, now a lvl 20 cleric named Chinetter. Trying to get my adult son to create a char. Look me up on there and I'd be happy to join up up with you guys.
Closed Thread