Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 05-21-2022, 04:53 PM
Large Rat

Default Struggling Troll Shaman.

So, Ive started up a troll shaman and have made it to lvl 6, but its been a huge struggle the entire way. I'm at the point that I'm starting to think I'll stop playing him, but i really like the spells that the get later and really dont want to stop. What weapons should I be using to melee mobs down, as well as, spell combo's at this lvl. Is it really this rough early in the game at this lvl and I just need to power through it? Help, please.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

I recently started a Troll Shaman and I wanted to level solo naturally with no twink gear or anything. At level 6 I had a Cracked Staff and a couple pieces of cloth I had found

I went to the entrance of Guk and there are two Froglok Guards that can be blue or even con. I would blow up a blue one with Frost Rift nukes then zone into Guk to med and also to get them split good. If they were both too difficult I would run them to Grobb guards and try the next set of spawns

I stayed there until level 9. You can sit up there to med and nothing roaming will get you. Once you are easily killing them and want extra stuff to kill you can turn around and pull Froglok Fishmen that are in the water nearby

Frost Rift was the only level 5 spell I found real useful. I was able to easily take down a couple mobs with it and then med back up for another round
Old 05-21-2022, 06:49 PM
Planar Protector

there is no help. shaman are pretty mediocre at low levels, with the only real upside being that they get SoW so early.

if you want an untwinked class thats "good" before level 6 you are pretty much stuck rolling a pet class enc/nec/mage.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:31 PM
Planar Protector

I think shaman and warrior are the two hardest classes to start from scratch with.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:49 PM
Kobold

This is just how it is. It gets better with each spell level. Keep current with your nukes and dots and use whichever is more recent. Get full banded/rings as soon as you can, the ac really helps.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:32 PM
Sarnak

Which server are you on?
Old 05-21-2022, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

best you can do is try to get AC.. get as much chain as you can, pay 1 plat per AC for basic chainmail in the tunnel or tell people you're new and ask for some help. As for weapon, the best 1h or 2h blunt I forget what is attainable for troll, but i doubt much of anything.. in upper guk there is a shield that provides some good ac..

i mean this is if you're starting from scratch.

otherwise go to EC and beg for items.

Its super hard class to get stated with.

At those low levels you just want to dps and melee and for healing use your shielding spell instead of healing im pretty sure its more mana efficient.

Starting purely from scratch as a shaman when the server is fresh is a bit easier because you can find groups to play with as a healer, but when you're solo staring fresh in the swamp, it's tough.

If you can get to EC I am sure you can find a good weapon for sale very cheap that will get you started.

In classic as a troll shaman I thinK i would try to get an Ogre war Maul from najina asap as my main weapon and you may be able to get one of those for 10 or 20 plat in EC now.

A wraith bone hammer or RukGus' Sticker might be that cheap too and a better ratio.
Last edited by Jibartik; 05-22-2022 at 12:04 AM..
Old 05-21-2022, 11:54 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman1022 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which server are you on?
P99 green?
Old 05-22-2022, 08:59 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDevil68 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 green?
I parked my lowbie shaman at the Grobb ent, he has a set of banded you can have. It'll make a world of difference. Shoot me a PM here or let me know when you play.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:41 AM
Aviak

I did this recently! It's my first main on green server. I started my shaman at the end of March. I made an ogre, and had no funds or twink gear to speak of.

What the other poster above said is best. The two guards at Guk entrance are reliable xp. You just need to break them properly. I just nuked one as fast as I could before they both killed me. After killing one, I would zone to guk and back, med, then kill the other. Once they are broken, it's steady, easy exp.

Otherwise you could always go to the lowbie grouping areas, orc camp in EC or Orc hill in Gfay, but it would be challenging as a troll.

Shaman can be done, but you will need to group mostly until level 34. My shaman was terrible at soloing until level 34.

Once I made 9, I went to Kurn's tower, and leveled there until 20. Unrest, then HHK, then MM, and now started soloing in Kunark.

GL out there, and don't give up! the grind is worth it.