Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Planar Protector

Question RPG Maker

Anyone used this or have experience they would like to share with it? ima thinkin a downloadin it.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone used this or have experience they would like to share with it? ima thinkin a downloadin it.
Making your own RPG with an easy-to-use RPG maker program sounds like a good idea at first so you throw up a simple RPG with the default rules and tileset and you share it and everyone says it's not bad ... BUT ... it really unoriginal since it doesn't use any custom rules or art so you set off to make your RPG unique and special by programming a slightly more complex rule and every time you increase the complexity you increase the number of bugs in your game and you bang your head in frustration trying to work within the limitations of the software because you can imagine how cool your game could REALLY be if only RPG maker would get out of your way and let you make the game you envision but it won't and that's only half the issue because you still need art and you start with a simple 16 x 16 background tile of maybe a grass motif and you realize you need at last 4 or 5 variations of it so your backgrounds dont look like tiles and then you need corners and edges and transitions and by the time you've drawn 5 dozen tiles for a simple terrain motif if you even get that far you realize you still need to do 20 more biomes plus interiors as would befit an EPIC RPG and character sprites and animation which will look like shit until you get good at it which you wont and 3 years will have passed before you realize that you spent all that time to make a game with one character one cave and one monster encounter before you chuck it all in the bin in despair.

If that sounds like something you'd like to do I'd give it a solid recommendation.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:43 PM
Fire Giant

lol this is almost word for word exactly my experience as well! xD you won't get any better summary than this melonboy.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:02 AM
Banned

It's a bit like making a choose your own adventure in basic.

Just download an old cracked version and have a go.

Then face it, you'll be writing your own infinity engine for your opus.

Jaxon's spot on.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

im gonna try out this sprite art and see how things go before picking up the maker. considering unity too, but dunno if that'd be a good idea or not. i already have it those that I think. just don't know much about 2d stuffs.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Kobold

take a look at cocos2d.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 PM
Orc

You can get a working battle system/class system/tons of script work done in a week. Then you realize you can't find anyone to do sound/sprite work and give up.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:31 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhaerik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can get a working battle system/class system/tons of script work done in a week. Then you realize you can't find anyone to do sound/sprite work and give up.
Yeah, this is what I was worried about. never worked with color before and wasn't sure how I would do with pixel art, butt decided to give it a go and havin a lotta fun with it ^^ solidly visible improvements too from one to the next, so happy with that. think imma build myself a little bank of art before delving into le code. i also ended up downloading unity and been watchin this tuts on that even though I am just making sprites right now (o^^o)

here is my progress so far

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

think imma try an animated the last girl i made. maybe clean her out a bit more. been making everything on separate layers and would liek to find a tut on how to use those for character creation in unity. anyone know how to do that?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

i also just got heavily reprimanded for not including my second sprite attempt in that chronological line-up, so I will post him tomorrow because not riding up my purse again right now ^^;
Old 04-26-2018, 12:28 AM
Banned

That is really good maskedmelonpai
Closed Thread